Things you discovered as an adult:

Things you discovered as an adult:

>fries are better with mayonnaise or malt vinegar
>all you need is fresh pepper and sea salt
>leave your steak on the counter
>cast iron all the way

What have you learned about cooking as an adult?

>fries are better with mayo and malt vinegar

which is it, faggot?

Those two statements are unrelated cocksucking swine

Need = minimum for something to be good
Better = better

>eggs are versatile as fuck
>salmon is my favorite protein
>"weird" parts of the animal (heart/liver/tongue etc) are good and a great way to into ethnic cooking
>didn't rent an apartment because it had electric stove top

>didn't rent an apartment because it had an electric stove top

Fucking THIS. I grew up using propane and my first couple places had propane or gas. I moved for work and found a place short notice but it has electric. I'm figuring it out but it has really sucked a lot of the fun out of cooking.

it's not THAT big of a deal, it's just not as easy as with gas.

water takes forever to boil, heat is inconsistent, etc. just get some nice stainless steel pans with aluminum or copper cored bottoms for more even heat distribution.

using shitty aluminum or non stick pans is rough.

I just leave my cast iron on there forever before I actually put anything in it

I'm leaving my steak on the counter right now but its not cooking what am I doing wrong

Satan, i...

You eat raw flesh. I...it is done!!!

>cooking is bullshit because fast food and microwave meals taste the same

Sugar is a drug and is therefore unrelated to Veeky Forums. This is the truth all adults know and subscribe to, only children and manchildren will disagree and try to push their sugar addict agenda onto the board.

>Stuff white people with broken tastebuds say

Glad my tongue works and I can actually taste more than a couple flavors at a time without being "overwhelmed"

>leftovers are always better if you don't use a microwave
>When you do use a microwave never use it at full power unless making something specifically made for the microwave

One thing I learned when I became an adult is that a lot of really fuckin' stupid people can't tell the difference between opinion and fact.

I'm lookin' at you, OP.

>Broken tastebuds
>Can't taste the meat unless it's coated in spices

Spices and sauces improve the taste of good meat, always.

Bad meat being spiced to improve it isn't a thing. Up until recently the spices and herbs were way more expensive than the actual meat.

Electric is an abomination unto the lord. Fuck I hate those pieces of shit.

wrong on all accounts

You're wrong

I am not. Conversely, you are.

Don't buy canned tomatoes. Buy or grow tomatoes when they are in season. Blanch them in boiling water, just to remove he skin. Then mash them and start making your sauce.

The sauce is a zillion times better and more flavourful than using canned tomato.

Also, tomato paste is shit. Stir and boil down your fresh tomatoes.

mum couldn't cook

Heroin gives you a sweet tooth

>spices which need to be carried from the opposite side of the globe
>not more expensive than a piece of cow from the farm down the lane

>the only time this situation was relevant was when they were over spicing bad meat to cover up the taste
>heh heh white people cant use spices

in recommend ceramic for electric, and a big heavy le buyer style steel pan for searing. remember to have some heatproof coaster ready where you can relocate the pan in case you need to stop heating the pan instantly

stale bait

With potatoes, carrots, and onions you can cook excellent sides for just about anything.

Live in Baltimore, can confirm.

>Spices and sauces improve the taste of good meat, always.

yeah i love vanilla custard on my lamb shank

Agreed except when it comes to beef. I love the flavor of beef untampered with.

Trinity > mire poix

>rare is best
>fish is good
>sea salt runs it
>simple is better
>butter is better
>boneless skinless is dogshit

Are you just cooking steak and fries?

Plain potato chips are way better than flavoured.

Wine is fucking magical.

You dont know shit.

You seem like a fucking man child.

Really all you need is pepper and salt?
WTF are you making you basic ass fucking pleb.

FUck this shitty board, I cant believe YOU waste your time coming here. Shitting on the art of gastronomy with your amateurish "tips" fuck off.

CAST FUCKIGN IRON???? WTF ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID???
I bet the most you do is grill meat and think your fucking worthy of calling yourself a cook.

Absolutely disgusting

> UNTIL RECENTLY

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?//

THIS ISNT THE 1700's ITS FUCKING 2016. 100 YEARS AGO WAS 1916.

Up until recently WTF do you mean, Recently being the past 200 years WTF
IDIOT

Fucking stupid

HURRR IF YOU USE ANYTHING MORE THAN PEPPER AND SALT YOUR COASTING OUR SHIT IN SPICES.

Fucking idiot. No formality, I fucking hate Americans I can fucking tell by the stench of this fucking thread You are all fucking plebian americans. In some fucking shitty rundown midwest town with nothing but a Walmart near by.

>fries are better with mayonnaise or malt vinegar
Fries are overrated bullshit.

Enjoy your goiter.

>leave your steak on the counter
Boy, I sure do love cooking meat so I can leave it rotting in my kitchen while I eat bullshit fries slathered in mayo like a dumb fat fuck.

>cast iron all the way
You fell for the meme, asshole. Every tool has its job.

>Searing the meat seals the juices inside, and makes it taste better in curries and casseroles
This changed my life.

That's pretty terrible. It's best to have some versatile spices, and knowing when to use them. Without some spice in your life, everything will be bland.

It's white people, man. My last GF was white as fuck. The first time I went over for dinner, she said she doesn't use any herbs or spices, just salt and pepper, and that she doesn't do things like sauce or gravy. Her food was bland, dry, and boring as fuck.

>Smell the goddamn spices to figure out what will work
>Liquid smoke exists for a reason, namely: apartment living
>Every cut of meat has its use
>Boneless chicken thighs>boneless chicken breast
>Veggies are pretty cheap
>Kompot is the answer to fruit sales
>Ramen noodles are good for adding to soup if your low on food and high on desperation

These retards slaughter me for not thyming, saffroning, dilling and nutmegging everything I eat. Fucking shame that they think you need anything more than salt and pepper.

That's a myth actually. It doesn't seal shit but the browning does taste good.

Parents were bad cooks.
Veggies actually taste great done right.
Fish actually tastes great if not overcooked.
Don't crowd the pan, maillard is essential.
Let your steak rest.
Emulsified sauces are awesome.
You flavor the oil.
Wine is pretty amazing.
Eggs are versatile as fuck.

Just shit I learned when I left home and started cooking.

>parents, while decent to good cooks, are uncultured as all fuck and have their minds blown by a California roll
>eggs are the fucking shit
>simple is best
>how to not over season
>most of the people I'm surrounded by have shit taste and a great unwillingness to try new things
>fuck bacon
>fuck ranch dressing
>cast iron is not a meme
>black coffee is best coffee
>peasant/slave/poor people food is best food
>rice is the fucking shit
>nobody knows how to cook

>Hot sauce isn't a dipping sauce
>99% of asian restaurants are shit
>some dishes are only good in certain areas (ex. Lobster in New England or Crabs in Maryland)

>fuck ranch

dont talk to me or my two sons ever again

I wasn't aware that Veeky Forums had turned into a zoo since the last time I posted. Do you dusky subhumans even know where you are? This isn't Twitter, Tyrone. Why don't you go back to using your thumbs for picking cotton like the good Lord intended and put down the smartphone.

Cooking is fun so long as you know what you like and how to experiment with new things.

More likely they're a spic or chink than a negro

>any vegetable worth eating tastes good cooked in oil, salt and garlic, with maybe some tomatoes added
>most of what's for sale in the supermarket sucks, and you'll eat better if you shop there as little as possible
>most restaurants suck, and you really have to know the lay of the land to find the good ones, especially if you're on a budget
>poor quality ingredients can be made into delicious food if you know what you're doing, the same way high quality ingredients can be totally fucked up if you don't
>a mediocre meal can be very enjoyable when paired with a decent wine, the converse is not true
>as far as time saving devices go pressure cookers are far more useful than micorwaves if you like to eat well

>most of the people I'm surrounded by have shit taste and a great unwillingness to try new things

This is my life.

I have had to completely limit my cooking because two of my roommates eat like picky, eight year old children.

I made white chicken chili last night and I had to make it with half the beans because "they don't like beans."

They don't fucking like anything at all it's just crazy.

I appreciate all food that is well prepared. I personally dislike some foods, but I can recognize well made food I dislike, and appreciate why other people like it. As I get older, the number of foods I dislike shrinks steadily.

You, I like you.

That was me raising two sons, one fussier than the other. If you play your cards right it passes once the grow up a little.

>converse
wat is wrong with shoes?
>any vegetable worth eating tastes good cooked in oil, salt and garlic, with maybe some tomatoes added
Cucumber? Cabbage? Lettuce?

You have to go back

Speaking of the devil it gives me munchies.

This isn't /pol/ cletus

>you, i like you
reddit af tbqfhwy my dude

You mean your wife's sons.

-adding two crushed bulbs worth of garlic to the frying oil for frying whole fish is legendary

-a sharp fucking chef's knife saves time and helps chop shit up faster

-fried zuchinni with mozzarella = cum buckets

-fry up minced onion in a pan and add a can of refried black beans to heat it up then let cool and sprinkle on crumbled whole fat feta cheese for godlike bean dip

-always cook shrimp with shell on

-never throw out bananas just make banana bread

-freeze chocolate bars and Reese's pieces before eating

-eggs can be for dinner too

-buy meat with the bone on for more flavor

-relish on hamburgers

-letting meat marinate over night in any marinade with lime or something acidic will tenderize the fuck out of it as opposed to the 2 hour suggestion

omfg
the fact that there are still humans that believe this

Your backward culture needed spices because it had to cover up the flavour of your poorly-stored rancid meat. Once us whites discovered refrigeration and effective slaughter methods, we could begin to appreciate the taste of the meat itself with only a little seasoning.

Not to worry, user, I'm sure your shit culture will eventually catch up.

Why you do this ?