Pharmacological neuroenhancement

Anyone /nootropics/ here?

I've been crushing my math PhD with the help of modafinil lately.

Other urls found in this thread:

examine.com/supplements/Modafinil/
gwern.net/Nicotine
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a nootropic or a stimulant, choose one.

Nootropic is an umbrella category that includes many classes of drugs. Stimulants are just one type of nootropic. A nootropic is just any drug that confers neuroenhancement. Modafinil, for example, is not a stimulant. It is pharmacologically distinct from the amphetamines and thus termed a "eugeroic." However, they are both considered nootropics...so are racetams, caffeine, nicotine, and many other drugs.

How's modafinil?
A friend took the stuff and said it doesn't do much but makes you feel not tired.
I don't think it's worth the money to order the stuff but i don't know i'm open to ideas.

How similar is it to Ritalin?

Similar to vyvanse with less of the amphetamine side effects. If find if I take it too many days in a row the effect seems to diminish though. It seems like it works better if I can take it for 2 days on 1 day off or if I can at least take it Monday through Friday and not on the weekend.

I've never tried Ritalin, but I've used Adderall and Vyvanse extensively for academic work (they are a godsend). I would have to disagree with your friend about Modafinil. I find that it gives me the same enhancement in concentration, memory, and reasoning ability as the amphetamines without the "cracked out" jittery feeling. The only thing that it does NOT do as well as the amphetamines is provide external motivation. Adderall and Vyvanse make me want to study. With Modafinil, I have to want/force myself to start studying initially, but once I'm doing it, the enhanced focus is just as good as the amphetamines. One added bonus of Modafinil is that it also increases my confidence. It makes me feel like I can conquer any workload. I guess that aspect is similar to cocaine if you've ever tried that. However, let me reiterate that it does NOT provide any sort of recreational high. Maybe that's why your friend didn't really notice it. It's subtle but powerful if you tune in and harness it.

It's a stimulant and "eurogic" is a redundant category.

>If find if I take it too many days in a row the effect seems to diminish though.

It's almost as if you begin to build some type of a "tolerance" to drugs when you take them often.

Who'd have known?

Yeah I know what building up a tolerance is thanks. It's just weird that it happens so fast. I could take vyvanse for up to a week or two straight without feeling a reduction in effect. Modafinal is only good for about two or three days before I see a fairly noticeable reduction

That's probably because it's vaguely glorified caffeine.

It seems like the accepted definition of 'nootropic' has shifted in the past decade or so, to a broader definition. Back when I was taking nooptropics, the term meant racetams and other related 'undruglike' substances, with little to no abuse potential.

Nowadays it seems like speed in its various forms is tossed in there as well, which seems a little disingenuous to me, and dangerous, because there's a big difference between such things as racetams and methylphenidate or various amphetamines. Careful, kids.. speed might not be so smart.

Same here, piracetam was the first and only nootropic I was ever familiar with but the classification certainly has evolved. To some extent it does make sense, but by the same token it also doesn't. Stimulants are inherently dangerous in a number of ways, not just addiction but what I like to classify as "threshold perception" wherein the experiences are perceived in a mostly natural state but the state itself is modified to be more stimulating depending on the nature of the catalyst (drug, stimulant) and they don't produce neurorestorative or neuroprotective effects, only stimulant effects. Basically they only fall into the category of stimulant. The "modern" categorization of nootropics is perpetuated by uninformed pop-scientists. That's the only conclusion I can take from it.

There are also, of course, those who have a need to justify using speed, to themselves and others. So calling it a smart drug is a convenient definition.

Makes sense. Personally when I was consuming a lot of adderal I referred to the state as being "tweaked out" or "methed out" despite the marginal difference between the two drugs just to spite myself.

There is no significant evidence that modafinil improves cognition passed the normal threshold.

Any perceived benefit is either placebo or due to a lack of sleep/nutrition.

>passed
I acknowledge my faggotry. No need to call me out

If there was a pill that increased penis length even my a centimeter, everyone and their mom would know about it and try to take it.

Your telling me an obscure drug that improves a trait much more important than dick size hasn't got marketed as the next adderall?

What said

examine.com/supplements/Modafinil/
I mean I understand what you're saying about nutrition/sleep, but the science is there homie. Multiple studies have shown that cognition, reaction time, working memory, and alertness are all improved by modafinil (in healthy and in sleep deprived individuals).

I started off with modafinil. Took it for about a month. Awesome alertness and focus. It's like super caffeine without the jittery feeling. Noticed the quick tolerance. Stopped taking it since it wasn't really doing anything. After a month off, started taking armodafinil. Like modafinil except it just felt better somehow. Hard to nail down exactly why. Just feels like a better drug to me. However tolerance is still a problem. What I do now - two days 150mg armodafinil right when I wake up, two days off, two days 200mg modafinil, two days off. Repeat. Still mild tolerance, but it works better for me.

gwern.net/Nicotine
Looking into non-tobacco nicotine as a nootropic, however I'm sure as hell not going to get one of those ridiculous looking vape things. There's got to be a better way. If anyone here has any experience in that area, please chime in.

>examine.com/supplements/Modafinil/
>Cognition is significantly improved in persons undergoing sleep deprivation or other conditions in which attention processing is highly impaired, while other conditions (cognitive decline or drug dependence) experience minor improvements in cognition that are lesser than those seen in sleep deprivation.

Do you even read?

Yeah man. Sure do. Read more than just the summaries too.
Some text from the studies:
"Acute supplementation of 200mg in otherwise normal youth that are not currently undergoing sleep deprivation was associated with improved cognitive performance and memory as well as more enjoyment during the cognitive testing."

I really do understand and appreciate the skepticism. I also understand how powerful the placebo effect can be. Look, I'm not claiming modafinil is a wonder drug but I do have firsthand experience with it and I definitely did tons of research before getting some for myself.

Veeky Forums is not your drug abuse blog

It's not abuse; it's use. Neuroenhancement is the way of the future.

FUCK OFF JUNKIE DEGENERATE.

Veeky Forums IS A STRAICHT_X_EDGE BOARD YOUR DISGUSTING DRUGGIE DEGENERACY IS NOT WANTED HERE.

Kill yourself before your drug addictions get the better of you and you resort to theft or murder to sustain them.