New York City Thread

New York City Thread.

Been to the new Eataly downtown? Been anywhre notable? Psyched for any new openings? Got any reservations coming up for somewhere good?

I had lunch at boloud sud the other week and it was amazingly good.

Other urls found in this thread:

ny.eater.com/2014/12/1/7315673/10-old-fashioned-italian-american-restaurants-to-try-in-brooklyn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can't wait to try some 'ork 'cos

what the fuck is this cthulu speak, speak fuckin english

Looking forward with some dread to the "new improved" La Nacional

anyone know a good ramen spot in nyc?

rarely leave brooklyn for food

Totto for standard.

Bassanova for green curry

Ivan slurp shop for vegetarian or shoyu ramen if you want a change of pace

Fuck Ippudo

standard as in what? shio and pork?

oh it looks like it does chicken paitan, not tonkotsu. idk then.

anyway thanks for the spots, appreciate it

Gotham West Market has Ivan Ramen, I'd get the Miso Butter Mazemen with the toasted garlic bomb. You can get ample hills ice cream after the ramen, it's my favorite ice cream in the city

a lot more names then i expected, ive never had ramen before so yeah

I steal food food from the whole foods on Houston st. Shit quality but it's free.

I had really good ramen in Flushing two weeks ago. Don't remember the place's name, but it wasn't so far from the subway stop and LIRR station. Lemme try to find it for you.

RIP restaurant week. Have to wait another 6 months for the next one QQ. (to be clear, this is my reaction to RW ending, and not a dig on OP)

Fantasy draft is gonna be tonight at yet another assumedly shitty bar in midtown. I realize Manhattan is awful for this, but any rec's for a good dive bar or moderate sized eatery that would let you host a draft like this (wall space for a draft board, room for 10-12)

Got a reservation to Morimoto for my birthday coming up. I'm excited because my parents are coming and they are paying for omaksase.

would love that, thanks user

get a job you fucking nigger

Sorry for the delay. Had something to take care of.

Hashi.
Not the best ramen of my life, but pretty good all the same.

ME TOO
just copped some sushi last week

>one borough has twice the population of both my state's capitols combined
#justflyoverthings

the boroughs except for staten Island all have populations of major cities, though

I can't even imagine that many people in one place

My college friend who is a flyover visited once and almost instantly had a panic attack and passed out on a subway platform

Luckily she wasn't standing near the edge

Manhattan can be claustrophobic, but once you get into the outer boroughs it's a lot less intense.

Downtown flushing would be pretty intense for a flyover

I guess but I think it is more relatable. Like even when flyovers take their yearly trip into Des Moines there's more than 2 people on the street. And they have more eating options than the tater tot casserole they are use to.

More relatable than what? Have you been to flushing recently? I mean since, say, the year 2000 or so? It's quite a bit more claustrophobic than pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. And then there's the fact that everyone is speaking Chinese

I went to the Ray's pizza when i was there once. pretty good stuff

Manhattanfag here, yeah Flushing can get pretty crowded, but let's be honest. Anywhere in Chinatown or the surrounding LES is a fucking shitshow on Sundays when all the grannies with their carts go grocery shopping. Flushing continues to grow and increase in population, but never forget the OG king of claustrophobia and cramped NYC living standards that is Chinatown here in the city. The main difference here is that Flushing has room to grow physically, but Chinatown can only go up or slowly infect surrounding neighborhoods and leave them a husk of the former residents like Little Italy.

That reminds me: need to pick up some haw flakes.

Lived in Japan for 2 years and I can honestly say the ramen in NYC is overpriced and not worth

Only decent ramen I had was at Ramen Shack and even then it was just a standard bowl of ramen. OK for Japan, but much better than what you would get anywhere in NYC. Ippudo and Momofuku can eat all the dicks.

M8, c'mon. You could've done better for a slice even if you were in midtown. Oh well, come back again and try something else (not sbarro or national chain shit), you'll like it even more.

>ved in Japan for 2 years and I can honestly say the ramen in NYC is overpriced and not worth

You didn't need to live in Japan for 2 years to know that.

How can you afford living in Manhattan?

I spent a bunch of years living on the LES. Chinatown may be crowded and full of intense smells during the height of summer, but it's a godsend for good eats and cheap groceries. It's alive and vibrant. Little Italy has been dead for decades. It's a half-heartedly maintained bit of taxidermy for tourists. If you really need a taste of the Italian American experience in NYC you're better off hauling your ass to Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst or Gravesend. Or just bite the bullet and follow the garbage trucks to Staten Island.

I live in Harlem. It's not too bad, I mean it can be cheaper than what Brooklyn is turning into.

It's called perspective. How can you know what good ramen is if you've never had it?

Oh I know where to get Italian food. I just go on up to Arthur ave in the boogie down, who the fuck wants to leave Manhattan to go to Staten Island? Still... I fucking love Little Italy. Every once in a while I go down there with my fiancee, get a big ol plate of rigatoni alla vodka, two bottles of wine, and walk out for less than 50 bucks for the two of us (including tip!). Not bad for anywhere downtown that isn't the EV or Chinatown. Sometimes a guy craves something other than steamed buns, amirite?

Washington heights cheap rent masterrace.

I hear ya. But Having spent the greater part of two decades living in the EV and the LES I learned to avoid Little Italy because so many of the joints there are tourist traps. Also my taste shifted more toward Italian than Italian American. But since moving to Brooklyn four years ago I'm rediscovering Italian American, and like you appreciate it as a fun indulgence with my girl every now and then. And I can tell you it's better and more affordable than Little Italy if you make the trek to unfashionable outer borough neighborhoods.

If you ever find yourself in Gravesend (a god forsaken place) you gotta hit up Joe's of Ave U. Old school Sicilian American joint still patronized by heavyset guys wearing track suits and gold chains. It's like time travel back to Saturday Night Fever era New York. Here are a few other places that scratch the same itch:
ny.eater.com/2014/12/1/7315673/10-old-fashioned-italian-american-restaurants-to-try-in-brooklyn

we have an eataly in munich 2, food is bad, evth is really expensive, only gorgonzola+ham seemed to be priced fairly

Yeah man, but dat shitty 1 train. 3 train masterrace, you don't get that Bronx riffraff hogging all the seats.

Eataly is a meme. Totally unnecessary in a city like NYC where you can get pretty much everything there, including their "exclusive Italian grocery selection" somewhere else, for cheaper. I mean, even the places in Chelsea market are cheaper. So in other words, it's a perfect addition to the Flatiron district! :^)

Damn son, the only time I feel masochistic enough to sit on the train that long through Brooklyn is if I'm going to JFK or Coney Island. But I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind. I also promise not to tell friends in Manhattan about it if I end up loving it. Don't want to contribute to shitting things up over there in non-silly Brooklyn.

Eataly is within a 5 minute walk of 6 different trains and is in an area with a lot of stuff in it

Chelsea market is practically in Jersey City and is a complete tourist clusterfuck

I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to go to eataly but it's easy to make a casual stop there for groceries

Chelsea Market, fuck no. By the time I'm done in there I want to punch something expensive. -1/10 used to go when new, will avoid until they relocate it to underneath Columbus Circle and remove the 2500 people with huge DSLRs standing still inside

Eataly is on my commute home from grad school so it's a nice splurge if i want a decent meal at the pizza/pasta or vegetable restaurant. Also it's produce section is great and it's hard to find 00 flour for pizza/pasta in most groceries.

I wouldn't buy the meat or go to one of the higher end restaurants, and the wine is ridiculously overpriced, but i wouldn't say it's a bad institution.

The wine is a ripoff but the meat is a good deal. Same for the fresh pasta.

Obviously C-town is cheaper but as far as good stuff goes, it's not as nice as the greenmarket but it's cheaper and more convenient

>Eataly
>perfect addition to the Flatiron district
Oh man, do you have that right.
>Don't want to contribute to shitting things up over there in non-silly Brooklyn.
It'll be a while before my corner gets shit up. The stroller brigade has arrived, along with the first few precious coffee shops. But Green-Wood, Chinatown and the large Latino population are so far maintaining a buffer against a Park Slope level onslaught. If you and your girl have bicycles I can hip you to a fun as hell day trip to this hinterland.

>new Eataly

Did they build a 2nd one? Go to the one in Chicago all the time and its 2yrs old. NYC had one before that.

Yeah it's somewhere downtown where nobody goes

It's near the WTC/oculus so it's full of tourists and people who spent the night in JC bc the path shut down except to the WTC on weekends (i.e. me)

york tacos?

chelsea market isn't that far, stop being a lazy fat fuck

Washington Heights ain't cheap anymore

I like the density

NYC is unique in that the residential neighborhoods also tend to be crowded as fuck, with lots of things open 24 hours

how is the dominican booty over there?

The 1 train only has like 3 stops in The Bronx

yeah, I hear the Mexican food in NYC is great, but butthurt Angelenos refuse to admit it despite never having been in NYC

But Bushwick was the actually the hood and now it's all hispter'd out. But I think it attracts true hipsters rather than yuppies.

I know that. What I mean is that riding the 1 sucks in any capacity unless you need to be somewhere close to a local stop, otherwise it takes forever to get anywhere. The 3 train is better than the 2 train in Harlem, because you don't get that Bronx through-traffic, leaving you with an empty train when you go downtown and a comfy train going back uptown when all the annoying UWS people get off on 96th.

Ok you convinced me. I'm going to add an hour of walking to my routine just to appease some guy who is still excited over Chelsea Market

Yeah that's true, the 2 train runs deeeep into The Bronx so it's already packed by the time it reaches Harlem from either direction.

The 1 is faster than the A during rush hour. CPW is a fucking mess these days

Does anyone else feel like New York food is getting pretty played out, along with all its other culture? I've lived and worked here for 10 years but over the last 2-3 it's just slumped back and away from anything challenging or intelligent.

I'm planning to run down my businesses this year and move to San Francisco before New York goes either full flyover or played out tourist trap. I figure if I wait I won't be able to flip my apartments for as much.

I'm not saying you have to go there, but stop acting like everyone else is a lazy shit who can't walk 2 blocks from the subway station. There's also a crosstown bus that ends pretty close to it if I'm not mistaken.

I think NYC is just becoming too expensive, rents are still super high (relatively speaking) even in the poor neighborhoods.

Also doesn't help that the 123 line is completely shitting the bed on service right now. Walked to my stop to take the 3 and lo and behold, here comes the fucking 5.

I don't actually live in NYC, but I take the subway pretty often and I never have these issues thankfully. The worse that happens in my experience is the train goes a slightly different route. The 5 train showing up on the 123 line is pretty weird though, they run on opposite sides of Manhattan.

That's part of the problem, you're getting a demographic transition from people with genuine culture to those who think they can buy their way in.

How can I get a big booty Puerto Rican girl?

>implying San Francisco isn't wayyyyyyy worse than NYC in food and culture slump

Maybe it's just fatigue. This city beats the shit out you over time.

Also San Francisco is tremendously overvalued in real estate, my parents lived in the Bay area for a while and it's just as bad as NYC. I give you that the produce is fucking incredible in that part of the country though, I'm super jelly.

The 5 and the 2 merge in the Bronx, the 2 and 3 merge in Manhattan.

Move to East Harlem and offer her some weed.

I think the issue is people being so quick to pay the ridiculous rents landlords want to charge, not just transplants

How do I get a Mexiqt?

San Francisco doesn't even have the vibrancy and 24/7 transit system than New York has, so I wonder why it's even more expensive over there

Fatigue is a possibility. Any ideas where I could go? Really, I could set up just about anywhere mid level white collar workers are available. I only chose New York a decade ago because a major customer was based there but they went bankrupt in 2014.

I really hope Philly doesn't turn into a NYC

>2 blocks
If you work on Madison Ave, right next door to Eataly, it's not 2 blocks, look at the subway map. You want me to walk down to USQ and take the goddamm L? No? Take the 6 down to Fulton so I can ride the A back up? No? Taxi so I can creep along 23rd at a snail's pace? Not that either? Citi bike? Ok that might work. But it's not 2 blocks, unless you're coming from Penn which it sounds like you are.

Please try to remember we're not all tourists here. I get it, you're really excited about Chelsea market, but it's kind of out of the way unless you hang out in meatpacking all the time.

Also the bus in question holds the MTA record for slowest land speed. You can look it up.
It might be a little better now that they shut down one lane of 23rd to personal motor vehicles, but it's still not going to make me waste time going all the way over there

Imo Portland may be a viable option since it's still relatively up and coming. Rent is already getting expensive over there because of Californians, but there are a lot of talented people living there.

I would also say DC could be an option but there's no culture here at all.

I'm not a tourist and I've never even been there, but from the map it looks pretty easy to get to. It's very close to the 1,2,3, A,C,E, and L, so it should be pretty easy to get to. And yeah the crosstown buses are slow as shit, but you're not going very far so it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I'll plan a vacation to check it out. DC is definitely not somewhere I want to live or work.

It's faster to walk than to take M23

But yeah, it's obvious you haven't been here

i wish i knew. never got dominican booty when i was single.

cheap for a gringo like me compared to the decision set of neighborhoods that i'd reasonably live in.

Chelsea market sucks but regardless of whether or not it is or isn't out of the way depends on your routine. If you're not going through that area then yes, it's very out of the way. I live in washington heights, work in midtown, and go to school in murray hill, so CM is a pain for me to get to while eataly is super easy. I wouldn't go out of my way for it the way i would gotham market (dat ivan ramen) but if i lived on the L i could see myself walking the 2 blocks west to pick up italian groceries and uni there.

In the 80's San Francisco became a hotbed of NIMBY-ism (not in my back yard) and resisted high-rise and extremely dense mixed-use development in an ironic effort to avoid what they called "Manhattanization." San Francisco, being the progressive mecca that it's famous for in urban policy, gave disproportionate power to current residents and landowners, resulting in a sort of walled city that resisted growing to meet the increasing demand for housing.

While it was successful in maintaining the character of old neighborhoods and buildings (such as the painted ladies) the city now has an extremely anemic growth rate for housing. This results in fucktarded housing prices, thereby preventing artists and culture-creators from coming in. This in turn leads to the only people who can live in those cute historic neighborhoods like Haight-Ashbury are wealthy yuppies and aging hippies who have lived there for eons, ironically degrading the culture that built it up in the first place. (by not allowing young people to come in due to the high-cost barrier) Not to mention that the yuppies able to afford the rent in the first place likely work in tech, (which was also shoehorned out of San Francisco in favor of silicon valley and San Jose's cheaper rents and lax zoning) meaning that their jobs aren't even in the city that they live in!

NYC handles housing a little differently. Developers here were more likely to say fuck you and build a big goddamn building to house whatever they wanted, whether it be luxury condos or low income blocs, fuck the neighborhood charm. Sometimes stupid shit happens like tearing down old Penn Station in favor of Madison Square Garden and the shitshow underneath. Sometimes we build something like Hudson Yards over those old railyards going into Penn Station. Different urban cultures, m8.

Wew lad, flexing my urban planning degree on Veeky Forums's cooking board.

No you retard, I live in NYC but I haven't been to the Chelsea Market is what I meant

It's a sort of a long subway ride from Washington Heights, but it's not out of the way

To add on to this-a Sicilian slice from Tony's pizza on the corner of dekalb and knickerbocker in bushwick is my favorite in the city.

My favorite pie is Patsy's in East Harlem. 11 bucks for a pie and still 1.75 for a slice.

>New York food is getting pretty played out
Lots of neighborhoods have lost their vibrancy because the kind of people who provide it (artists, musicians, immigrants, small business owners) have been priced out. When was the last time people talked about the NYC music scene? 2003? If you want vibrant NYC you have to go to the unfashionable neighborhoods, and they're getting increasingly remote.

On the plus side the food is better now than it's probably ever been. We may have lost the live music venues, but we gained a lot of great restaurants. It might not be as fun as it used to be, but damn are we eating well.

That's always been part of New York, though. It's a major center of world capitalism. Just about everything here is for sale. And more rich people than ever want in, so typically middle and working class neighborhoods have been taken over by them. Same is true for formerly edgy neighborhoods where immigrants and artistic types lived side by side.

I left Manhattan four years ago, but found a bunch of what I missed (minus the nightlife) in Brooklyn. I'm cool with that, as I've kind of aged out of the nightlife thing anyways.

tasty dumpling
totto ramen
gaia in east village

I enjoyed this post thoroughly

Upper west side 2 jobs + full time college kill me now status

You one of those Columbia fucks? Don't move to Harlem after graduation like your cohorts, you're making the prices insane. Good luck with that degree!

Gah I wish, I go to community college downtown

Thanks for the insightful info.

I like Dorsia

does anyone else like ghetto bodega food?