Could you make a magnetic field so strong it deflects stops...

Could you make a magnetic field so strong it deflects stops, or slows down bullets to the point they are no longer a threat? What other effects would this kind of field have and how much power would it take?

Since bullets are generally made of lead, no

arent all materials at least a bit conductive, i mean isnt there an amoun tof electric charge that will repel it?

No, fuck you

this , also I don't know too terribly much about magnets or physics in general beyond what the average person might, but I'd suspect such a device to give you cancer or something.

kind of, yes. But the question was not "could a magnetic field in theory exist that would stop a bullet" but "could you make a magnetic field that stops a bullet". And right now, I'm willing to bet the answer is "no". If you really want to stop a bullet, I'd suggest kevlar, or a gun-free zone :^)

>If you really want to stop a bullet, I'd suggest kevlar, or a gun-free zone :^)
obviously its not practical or someone esle would have had done it.

i want to know if it coudl be done as some kind fof sci fi way

or maybe there is a practical but too expensive wway

imagine a bot made out of pure plastic which uses a magnetic field to deflect bulelts what would be the drawbacks?

with a strong enough magnetic field you can probably do anything. look up magnetars. 10^8 Teslas.

>with a strong enough magnetic field you can probably do anything
could i get that very pretty girl to go to the prom with me or is her repulsion enough to overcome the magnetism of the magnetar?

Depends on how severe your autism is, how long you've been growing the neckbeard and the size of your fedora collection. Take these into account and we can tell you how strong a magnetic field you need.

The thing I never understood about magnetism is that the idea one could propel materials away would be possible. I always thought that no matter how big or powerful a magnet got it would never deflect bullets because it would be drawing them inward all the time.

Unless we could somehow catch them in a specific magnetic wave and leave them practically in orbit around the user, but anything that's conductive enough to stop bullets would also be conductive enough to probably rip coins out of pockets and snap belt buckles just as easily.

wait if i have a bullet speeding towards me and i activate a super strong magnetic field how do i know if it will repel or atract the bullet?

Turn the magnet around, one side attracts, the other repulses.

Dont use the forces on the metal of the bullet, use the induction of the magnetic field to induce current in the bullet which will turn it's kinetic energy into curl currents in the metal, slowing it down and heating it up.

do you have your sure that it can be used? if true gentlemen then i have need you for an offer of a job to you

Eddy currents induced by the mag field wouldn't slow down the bullet. It would heat it up though.

If you could heat the bullet up fast enough and hot enough to break it apart/vaporise it, then you may be able to distribute it's kinetic energy over a large enough area such that it wouldn't be nearly as dangerous as previously.

This would require a VERY powerful high frequency time-varying mag field. Impractical but possible.

If I remember correctly, Mythbusters did use strong magnets once and (slightly) changed trajectory of a bullet. Based on that experiment it would not seem possible to actually full stop the bullet, though.

the limiting factor would be the power source right? like, to use this kind of power shield you would have to stay near the 8 nuclear reactors powering it, right?

No idea. Wouldn't even be able to grasp the right order of magnitude.

Sorry, but you would most likely not want to be associated with me. I'm a semi fat man-child failure with no ambitions to improve.

Yes it would slow it down. Just look at some kids physics explanation you-tubes and you will see. Or you can make your own experiment with aluminum and kitchen magnets.

>obviously its not practical or someone esle would have had done it.
Ummmm.... (pic related)

>imagine a bot made out of pure plastic which uses a magnetic field to deflect bulelts
Why not make the plastic Kevlar?
Or that stuff they make cutting boards out of?
HDPE is pretty good at stopping bullets.

>Yes it would slow it down.

You'd have to convert nearly all the kinetic energy of the bullet into heat.
Wouldn't that be a LOT of heat in a very specific location?
I'm not sure that's going to be much safer than getting shot.

A magnetar should do the Trick. Also it would pull the gun and blood iron from the shooter and victim away and disrupt their brain functions.

im not talking about that pussy shit that MAYbe blocks one or two bullets aimed at you that still give you concussions, im talkign about standing in the middle of a field in which you can have 100 people shooting at you with miniguns at the same time and not even one bullet gets to you