US Cheese Surplus at 30-Year High

businessinsider.com/us-government-buying-11-million-pounds-of-cheese-2016-8
munchies.vice.com/en/articles/the-feds-are-buying-20-million-worth-of-cheese-to-bail-out-the-dairy-industry
>According to a release from the USDA, it will buy 11 million pounds — worth roughly $20 million by its estimate — and distribute it to food banks around the country.

>In May, it was revealed that we had stockpiled 1.2 billion pounds of “natural American cheese” like Colby and Jack. We haven’t had a cheese surplus this large in 30 years, and American cheesemakers have watched their revenues drop 35 percent while cheese stocks have grown.
>The USDA said that there was a number of reasons for the low prices in the cheese market. Over the summer, the price of cheese rallied about 30% despite a seemingly large buildup in inventories.

>The government is bailing out American cheese producers who found themselves in a pickle thanks to increased competition from Europe. Cheap milk and a weakened euro have made European cheeses cheap here in the US, while making American cheeses more expensive abroad.

Sorry, I changed my diet this past year, cut down on cheese quite a bit. Didn't realize the consequences, I guess.

I just moved from the midwest to the coast and the cheese is both of a much higher quality, but also more expensive, so I haven't been consuming as much. Sorry.

>while making American cheeses more expensive abroad.

I wonder how many Europeans seek out our cheeses

I can't wait for the incoming wave of I know how to keep my man black Twitter memes

>I just moved from the midwest to the coast and the cheese is both of a much higher quality

Seriously? What the fuck are you Wisconsonites doing over there?

It's all CAFO garbage cheese though.

There's certainly no surplus of good cheese here on the coast, if prices are any indication.

I was there was a surplus of this.

Considering that the only brand of american cheese I can find is kraft shit, I might as well buy local or european.
T. Canada

>people who move are necessarily moving from their hometown to somewhere completely new for the first time in their life

That's some heavy handed projection there, buddy.

>CAFO
What cheese are usually CAFO and what are good cheeses?
I motherfucking love cheese, so I want to help. I guess I should cut back on havarti and baby swiss for colby and jack... Or not.

Maybe people are catching on that cheese is trashy food that is terrible for you. One of the easiest ways to drop 10 pounds is to eliminate cheese from your diet.

>cheese is trashy food

If there is any question, it's CAFO

Almost every animal product at the average neighborhood grocery store is CAFO. You have to go to a particularly good grocery store, or preferably a cheesemonger, to get non-CAFO cheese in America

The cheeses that are not CAFO cost a bit (certainly no less than $20/lb, usually somewhat more) and have non-generic names, and come from states like Vermont and New York and California, rather than, say, Wisconsin

Pic related, it's a typical example of a coastal cheese. It has a strong smell and a strong flavor and isn't suitable for grating over franchise chain pizza

stick with skim milk. delicious nutrition without the fat.

man I love cheese, but not that much desu

CAFO?

>he thinks fat is bad
You better be baiting.

>cheese is too expensive for most people
>people stop buying it
>government buys it and gives it out to ghetto unemployed welfare leeches
>price still too high for working families

this is why I'm voting for Trump

Ah, so I've pretty much grown up on pure CAFO cheese. I should try something from a cheesemonger.
What the hell do you do with the rind of a hard cheese? It's a bit of a hassle to eat straight-up (after heating).

fat is energy. a better source of energy than sugar, depending on the source, fat can be good for you if you're active.

There are actually a lot of yuro companies that buy 'Murrican cheeses and package them as their own.

"American xxx is the best produce in the world" the thread

A google search on the term reveals the phrase "concentrated animal feeding operation". I'm not sure if the living conditions of the animal actually make a difference in the taste of the cheese produced.

Stop subsidising shit foods like cheese and corn, and if anything stop with the bail outs and subsidiaries all together.

Use it to clog the super-volcano at Yellowstone. This cheese could save us all.

Then you are unlearned.
It's precisely why we take measure to make sure animals are as calm as possible before being killed for their flesh, their panicking and fear taints the meat. Same with milk production in just about any farm animal, the happier/relaxed they are the more milk they produce.
>stop supporting the most easily grown/well-kept consumable energy

>Colby
>Wisconsin Cheese

Farm subsidies are fucking bullshit.

nah. Fuck subsidiaries. Dairy has been a thorn in the side of the government for too long.

Its hardly healthy. Being high in energy means its just going to be stored as fat.

Corn and cheese (and to an extent wheat) are the trinity of the modern unhealthy American diet.

Also (opinion) american cheese is not the best. Your non proceed cheeses are alright though.

>Also (opinion) american cheese is not the best.
Oh no it's definitely not the best. That's got nothing to do with patriotism, but what does is when Euro natives shit on it like faggots. American cheese has its place (burgers, hotdogs, cheesesteaks).
Colby and jack are good, yeah but I fucking love havarti.
>healthy
From that standpoint, you've sold me on your argument.

I buy cheese constantly but never that generic american shit "like colby and jack." it's no wonder they are failing.

Not a euro, im Australian. But i think American cheese is only good on say a cracker or in sauces where as other cheeses pair well with sanwiches, crackers, salad and so on. Thats not to say you cant use it in them, its just not their forte.

I think its just they dont grow up with American cheeses too. I like both and Australian (lol) cheeses.

Health goes for all cheeses though to eat them in excess is not a good idea.

I'm aussie and although our cheese isn't the best it's still leagues better than most of what you get in america.

The non mass produced stuff is alright.

Its not as bad as most say (excluding processed "cheese").

Although id take coon cheese any day

wait, they have a surplus of cheese lying around, but raise the prices on these said cheese. Am I reading this right?

My main issue is that it's all so bland. You can get a hard "matured" cheddar-style and a soft buttery Camembert-style and they'll taste the same (like milk powder).

>free market they said
>rise and fall on your own merit

American origin though arw good. Theyre attempt at most others is like what you said

Canada doesn't allow the importation of dairy from the US. It would destroy your domestic dairy industry.

Fuck off euro, anyone who disagrees with me is from France
t.Flyover land

Has anybody even profited of the recent milk market deregulation ?

>“natural American cheese”

At least they got the quotation marks right