How does math work?

How does math work?

This shit is fucking voodoo magic. Especially complex numbers.

Elegant right?

I stopped caring about math when I was introduced to the concept of imaginary numbers. What a crock of shit. If your equation can only be solved by inventing numbers that can't exist, like some kind of math deity , then you are fucking wrong and the math is flawed. Same for algebra solutions that basically say "the correct answer is whatever the correct answer is". Thats what the math said transcribed to words but god forbid if i wrote in down in english instead of the ancient math runes the teacher word mark me wrong.

Math is logical and numbers never lie my ass. Math is just as flawed as any other human construct.

pls be troll

Sounds like you just didn't do well in math courses

>I've never taken a quantum physics class

>the concept of imaginary numbers
It's similar to the concept of negative numbers.
Plebs don't get it.

I have a Math Degree, and you're right. Mary is just as flawed as any other human construct, but it sheds light on how other constructs are flawed.

But, a question for you, weren't all numbers made up to satisfy equations at some point?

Math is not Mary, so to speak. I'm embarrassed, and I feel like my point is lost now.

Math is about sets. Numbers are a tiny kind of side note.

i only really makes perfect sense once you understand some abstract algebra.

This sums up exactly what I would like to say though OP.

So this board is 100% newfags now?

>math
>flawed

how? the point is it isn't flawed, but it isn't applicable

This looks like a comment made by a 15 year old on facebook
Also the same thing can be said about negative numbers, zero and square root of 2 (all numbers simpletons had a huge problem with when they were "invented")

What is the problem? Mathematics is about ideas (understood as concepts). If you have problems with complex numbers you should have problems with the natural numbers too, due to the fact that such a thing does not really exist in the external world. Only physical objects exists... not the numbers themselves. They are mere ideas (concepts) expressed symbolically.

>Math is about sets
Math isn't about sets anymore than literature is about the alphabet.

wait until you're introduced into set theory where any given set to given power eqauals the same set.

why?
because fuck you, that's why

Math doesn't actually work. Gremlins have to constantly fudge numbers and equations when you're not looking to keep up appearances.

You can find the flaws in math, but just looking at troll math. You know, like: 1 = 0.99999...

>does stupid calculations
>fucks up with axioms to prove the whole world wrong
>being this pissed off

math is about structure. sets and numbers are tiny side notes.

>Especially complex numbers
Is there a number so complex that not even Euler's identity can express it?

'imaginary numbers' are just what you get when you extend the number line into a number plane.

Is this a pasta

Give me a number between 0.9999... and 1. Go ahead, I'll wait.

In the meantime, I'll give you two proofs

Algebraic:

[math] x=0.999... [/math]
[math] 10x=9.999... [/math]
[math] 10x-x=9.999...-0.999... [/math]
[math] 9x=9 [/math]
[math] x=1 [/math]

Geometric:

[math] 0.999...=9/10+9/100+9/1000+... [/math]
[math] 0.999...=9/10(1+1/10+1/100+... [/math]
[math] 0.999...=(1-x)(1+x+x^2+x^3+...x^n) [/math]
[math] 0.999...=1-x+x-x^2+x^2-x^3+x^3-... [/math]