Why all matter in Galaxy spin in the same direction around its center...

Why all matter in Galaxy spin in the same direction around its center? How can matter synchronize it's movement on such giant distance? Why matter around massive object forms disk instead of sphere? At the beginning it falls on the center of the mass chaotically in different directions and then something arrange it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#Appearance
youtube.com/watch?v=tmNXKqeUtJM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Imagine you have a solar system that's still forming. Some dust is going clockwise, some dust is going counter clockwise (1). Eventually, the dust is gonna collect itself under gravitational influence, and the newly formed dust grains/ rocks are going to crash into each other, going opposite directions and all(2).

Eventually, dust/ rocks going one way will eventually be eliminated by the dust going the other if the majority of it is larger (3) and fall into that dust's gravitational influence.

Eventually everything in the system will orbit one particular way in order to preserve momentum as it experiences a gravitational pull from the sun.(4)

It's the same with galaxies and planetary rings.

These clumps interacted gravitationally, putting tidal torques on each other that acted to give them some angular momentum. As the baryonic matter cooled, it dissipated some energy and contracted toward the center. With angular momentum conserved, the matter near the center speeds up its rotation.

Now you don't know, but that's cosmology; story telling.

Thanks)

Not all matter spins in the same direction numb nuts.

Why is there a net angular momentum to begin with though?

Basically it all follows the flow of the tide.

We have things in our Solar System that do not spin the same as the rest. Pop quiz: you find out what they are.

Doesnt jupiter or saturn have like 1 major moon the orbits in the opposite direction to the others, for shits and giggles?

God must have planned it, right?

It isn't.
A left spin is a right spin upside down.
You're all idiots in this thread.

Things can still orbit in one of two directions

>Why all matter in Galaxy spin in the same direction around its center?
The fact that the Milky Way is visible as a band near our north pole means that the axis of the earth does not coincide with the axis of the Milky Way.

Thus your premise is wrong.

You're an idiot.

Or obvious bait, I'll admit I can't tell.

Not him but....
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#Appearance
>The Galactic plane is inclined by about 60 degrees to the ecliptic (the plane of Earth's orbit).

There are only 2 basic directions you can orbit in, prograde or retrograde to whatever orbit you are using as a baseline

What's that got to do with it?
OP's talking about galactic rotation, not even orbits really, then this user points out our own solar system's orbital plane doesn't come close to the galactic plane's orientation.
I'm not 100% sure what his point is, but think he's trying do dispute "all matter in Galaxy spin in the same direction" even though our (admittedly skewed) solar system is presumably circling the galactic center along with the rest of this spiral arm.

But I'm even more lost as to what you're trying to say.
Try writing down your whole idea, not just the parts that make you mad.

Why *does

>Try writing down your whole idea, not just the parts that make you mad.
This made me chuckle.

>I'll admit I can't tell.
I knew that. Try some vector courses soon.

>only 2 basic directions
This is so wrong it is hard to know where to begin. Evidently you have set a premise you fail to break free from. A model should start with what is observed, not what you want to conclude. That is how the geocentric model was junked.

>This is so wrong it is hard to know where to begin.

The only possibilites for orbits are prograde to a specific plane, retrograde to it, or i suppose perfectly perpendicular. All orbits fall into one of those given a baseline plane

gravity causing things to be attracted to the center of mass (sun) which also creates momentum, causing them to orbit in any direction.

Someone should make a FAQ section on the wiki...
youtube.com/watch?v=tmNXKqeUtJM

>The only possibilites for orbits are prograde to a specific plane, retrograde to it, or i suppose perfectly perpendicular.

What about Pluto's orbit?
It's inclined about 17 degrees to the plane of the ecliptic.
Unless when you say "a specific plane" you're referring to the plane of Pluto's orbit?
In that case EVERYTHING orbit's in a "specific plane", so what's your point?

>left spin is a right spin upside down.
No, helicity doesn't depend on how you look at it.
Image at shows the two directions in one galaxy,
trailing arms and leading arms.

Pluto orbits in the same direction as every other planet. It has a high inclination but the same direction

And I should have said relative to the spin of the orbited object rather than the plane sorry

>Pluto orbits in the same direction as every other planet
Oops, you reference to "perfectly perpendicular." led me to believe you meant everything had to be orbiting in the same plane, or a plane perpendicular to that plane.

But really, I think 60 degrees off the galactic plane still hurts OP's position that " all matter in Galaxy spin in the same direction around its center".

>Oops, you reference to "perfectly perpendicular."
All I meant was that a perfect polar orbit is niether prograde nor retrograde, so kinda counts as a third category. But yeah obviously the entire galaxy does not orbit on the same neat plane