Where did the meme about math just being all plug and chug, calculations, and formula's come from?

Where did the meme about math just being all plug and chug, calculations, and formula's come from?

Reality.

/thread

Completely fucked up math education

where did the meme come from that arithmetic = math

Math is being taught in the worst way possible.

what

I've heard that you can get away with not understanding concepts and just plugging and chugging away until around calc II.

I think so.

For my engineering course calc I-III, linear algebra, statistics, differential equations, complex calculus and integral transforms have all been plug and chug.

maybe if your tests are easy baby bullshit

>finding any calc II test hard
>being a brainlet
don't do it

My calc classes required some proofs. Some subjects, the exam eas purely doing proofs and some application shit that wasn't trivial.

Tgis

In my experience, people just memorize the steps of say, integration and differentiation, without really understanding what's the meaning of it.

Then when they're given a problem where they have to set the whole thing up and find the limits they need and the integrals they need they get stuck since they did not understand what an integral is supposed to do in the first place.

>tfw I still don't know what a complex integral is

But I can sure as hell compute one

How can we divide by zero if we never approach it?

female teachers my whole fucking life

You can say it did

go ahead and just plug n chug if you want to get BTFO in junior/senior year. that freshman shit is foundational.

You really shouldn't do this.
You'll end up on khan academy relearning everything all over again when you realized you got fucked by your education.

Math professors are autists who dont know how to teach, so they overcomplicate everything/regurgitate from textbooks, which leaves students confused and resorting to the ol' plug n chug
Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to let the kind of people who like math that much become teachers? Sure, some are ok, I know plenty normal math majors and some teachers but goddamn that majority.

Kek

Sounds like you go to a shit university desu.

Mine too but those were again possible by memorizing the steps

Anything higher than calc/linear/DE are not just plug n chug. That is because eco and business majors take those so they have to be as simple as possible. When the classes are only math majors, they become complicated

Well you got the general idea of how to prove shit but it wasn't a straightforward process

Have to agree. My test was mainly plug n chug and a couple of proofs which flvery few people solved.

in the world top 10 by most rankings so I would disagree.

but if it were a choice between admitting to struggling with plug and chug math (and hence brainletism) vs denigrating a universities quality then I'd probably do the same as you :^)

Probably from the 12 years of state mandated education

hmm, not advocating for it. I personally had to teach myself most of the theory behind integration and differentiation in my calc I class when my professor hand waved literally almost everything. Pissed me the fuck off.

but yeah there were students in that class that memorized patterns and and plugged and chugged away and aced the class. ask 3/4ths of those students to explain the fundamental theorem of calculus and watch them "uh...well...uh"