It takes 10 years to become a sushi chef in Japan. TEN YEARS. In America you can become a doctor with less training...

It takes 10 years to become a sushi chef in Japan. TEN YEARS. In America you can become a doctor with less training. Its just fish and rice are they dumb? Why does it take so long? My friend Seth was making sushi at Publix within a week.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2x5WzIu5iXU
bakersfieldburritoproject.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was just looking at jobs at Craig's list and I'm actually overqualified to make sushi at Whole Foods (I have no actual sushi experience).

Making sushi at a supermarket is different from being a chef making it at a fancy restaurant senpai

That's like saying you know how to cook because you can follow a recipe.

Just a meme about japanese culture

>hurr respect your elders even if they're objectively shit
>older people get paid more even if they do a worse job

there's a reason Japanese economy has been shit for like 20 years now

fuck you josh is awesome

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but in all likelihood he's just doing repetitive motions without understanding jack shit about why everything is the way it is.

He is a sushi robot. Not a sushi chef.

>In America you can become a doctor with less training.
Not true. Bachelor's 4yrs, Med School, 4yrs, Residency 2yrs (or more!). And, of course you needed to ace your way through high school, and never fail a class, not even once (B is failing). Then, you have the exit exams, Boards.

>!

kys

I got accepted to a low-tier US med school with a 2.1 highschool GPA and 3.1 college GPA.....if you do really good on MCAT , it don't matter.

All 4 years of under grad are not medically releated training

If you don't cut it right you create lethal poison instead of tasty food.

To be fair, I think American chefs should spend a little more time mastering the ins and outs of seafood before they serve it to the public. There is so much terrible seafood in this country.

To add to yours

I know medical students who have retaken exams and redone years.

>My friend Seth was making sushi at Publix within a week.

That's going to be some V E R Y shitty sushi. And that's really all there is to understand.

I've never been to a mexican restaurant with bad seafood

Pleb here: what exactly makes good sushi?

Your friend Seth is a dumbass

>Pleb here: what exactly makes good sushi?

A highly pretentious attitude is the most important ingredient.

Modern Japan is a distopian nation user

Because of deflation? Shut the fuck up, faggot. You don't know shit.

Something else: Why is sushi so expensive? Even cucumber sushi costs a lot.

If fucking deliciousness is pretentiousness, you can sign my fedora.

>you needed to ace your way through high school, and never fail a class, not even once (B is failing).
nigga what?Just get into a college, any college and begin pre med you fucking inbred douche-hammer.Do WELL (you don't need to be a fucking valedictorian) to get accepted into medical school, ay medical school.

I mean seriously my man.I've known doctors that went to community college for the first 2 years of college.They're successful doctors too.

You delete this right now before i hack u

it's a way to decrease employment rates in japan.

They put people in useless jobs or formations.

Shushi is shit anyways lol

Good connections with the fishermen. Knife skills to fillet the fish. Consistent sushi rice prep. Basically speed and consistent quality for the sushi

It's going to take me 9.5 years in total to become a doctor of philosophy. That's pretty close.

You mean you work for most of that 10 years as a Sushi chef till they give you a paper stating you can do what you have been doing?

Maybe he's Asian, college admission boards fear the samurai.

10 years is when cooks start getting good. Trust me. If you have less than 10 years culinary experience you basically suck and have to be supervised constantly.

>I'm going to waste 10 years of my life

FTFY

As opposed to you wasting youre whole life Mr channer?

I've been cooking for 8 and am a sous chef in a michelin star restaurant, so calling BS.

there are always exceptions. but generally speaking. 10 years from now you will laugh at the arrogance of youth.

I dont know why but I keep giggling over this.

thats why you will never be a chef
reste sous la table le consanguin

Every nation is dystopian

everything, literally everything, in and out of japan is a meme.

>wanted to be sushi chef
>apply to nearby sushi restaurant
>chef tells me, it's 10 years of training
>about to ask when I can start, he cuts me off mid sentence.
>you gotta do 8 years of rice training.
>Mfw I become a teppanyaki master instead.

I sure have. Whenever I go to any Latin American restaurant, one of the first things I order is the fried whole fish. If it's dry and shitty, you never come back.

So the whole world is a meme? Deep bruh.

Literally can be said about all first-world countries my man. We have everything yet here we are on an imageboard talking about the discipline of sushi chefs.

Traditional Japanese trades work on an ancient apprenticeship program where you move in with your master and be his buttslave for several years until he decides to start teaching you something, and you don't "graduate" until he damned well says so.

These two bitchbois have been polishing bars of metal for over ten years each and they're still not allowed to leave until they win first place at some shiny metal fanciers competition
youtube.com/watch?v=2x5WzIu5iXU

Speaking of Japanese food there's a Japanese restaurant in town and I was thinking about stopping there before work and trying some of their food. How good is stuff like Yakitori and Yakisoba as far as taste goes.

Japanese food like the Japanese themselves is bland and soulless.

>Japanese food like the Japanese themselves is bland and soulless.
>was reading about Miso soup earlier
>wikipedia says 75% of japs eat Miso soup at least once a day
How fucking boring can a nation of people be? Who the fuck eats the same shit every single day?

>Americans
>Cock

It's a breakfast soup. They drink it in the morning like you would a cup of coffee.

You could not be more wrong. High school is irrelevant

>the junior apprentice (9 vs 11 years) does ALL the household chores

holy shit

It's no different to me eating cereal everyday for example. You just made me realise I have milk 7 days a week. Damn.

>eats cereal for breakfast every fucking day
Why? Fucking get some variety you faggot. Eat some fucking eggs or bacon or ham.

How is eating eggs or bacon or ham everyday better than eating cereal everyday?

Isn't Japan the 3rd largest economy in the world?

>Bachelors
>4 years

If you're retarded, 3 is normal

One time I made miso soup with softboiled eggs instead of tofu, was pretty good.

Good fish.

>Fucking get some variety you faggot
You mean like fish, rice or natto?

The 80s were 35 years ago.

Yes it is. We need to purge and start over.

Holy shit, why the japanese elders are fucking dickheads.

In terms of nominal GDP, it's still third

1 Obesityville
2 China
3 Glorious Nippon
4 New Syria
5 Bongistan

going to community college is smart desu. Med school is going to be expensive as balls so why overpay to take bio 101 at a 4 year school when you can get the same shit at a jr college

This post was shockingly inspiring. I am going back to school to get a degree in Astrophysics.

Sounds reasonable. Some of those fish are venomous and if you don't cut it just right you can kill the customer.

I was going to apply to a job here writing grants and doing fundraisers but they wanted 5 years previous experience just for that. I've never written a grant in my life. About to start my 9th year of being NEET because of shit like this.

Maybe if you take summer classes or do a bunch of dual-credit in high school. 4 is the norm.

desu if you are not a complete retard just apply anyway. If they are really hard up on the job being vacant they will give you an interview anyway

More like 5 is normal. I don't know anyone who did a hard science who got out in 4.

What would I even say in an interview?
>"Describe a time you successfully raised at least $15,000 for your employer."

I can barely even raise $15 for myself on ebay.

my momma did grant writing when she got tired on practicing law her job seemed easy as balls.

>find government grants for poorfag school districts
>apply telling them how our school district was filled with poorfags and how 90% of the kids got free breakfast and lunch
>get money that the principle embezzled and he bought his secretary a new set of tits
Also if you want practice grant writing look for poorfag charities in your town and ask if they have a grant writer. I did shit for bakersfieldburritoproject.org/
some spic charity that made burritos in some church and delivered them to homeless fags

you know a bunch of stupid motherfuckers

I seriously doubt it's that complicated

It's more the school tries every way it can to screw you and keep you there longer so they get paid more. When you have to balance three lab classes a semester it really cuts down on your options when you try to make a schedule. I had to end up staying an extra semester just for one class because the chair wouldn't let me take it at another school during summer. Keep in mind I was already taking summer classes for the previous three years to get done on time. No cooperation at all on their part.

I make sushi burritos. Sushi rice, chicken breast (teriyaki for the authentic japanese sushi feel) and veggies wrapped in a nori sheet and eat it like a burrito.

Are you from Australia? I've only ever heard that it's possible to get a BA in 3 years in Australia.

>I've only ever heard that it's possible to get a BA in 3 years in Australia.
Most of Europe has three years as a standard.
Are you from the US? I've heard you have to have "general education" courses in most degrees, and I assumed that's why you take four years.

I actually am Australian. In hindsight, I have no idea why I worded my last post the way I did. I haven't really cared to ask Americans about why their degrees are 4 years long though.

Took me 10 seconds to figure out what country New Syria would be... I'm retarded

Plenty of Undergraduate American college degrees would just need 2 years if General Education Requirements were entirely removed.

But then liberal art major professors would be out of jobs because no more taxpayer money being used to fund their useless classes like Comparative Literature.

>thinks anyone working at whole foods gets to call themselves a "chef"

delete yourself

That user never said he could be a chef.