When are Fourier series taught...

When are Fourier series taught? I just finished Calc III (or multivariable calculus) and I have never even heard one of my professors mention it. I'm taking differential equations over the summer but I don't think Fourier series has much to do with differential equations.

you'll see it in sig proc if you take it.

FS were developed to solve differential equations

fourier analysis is so cool man

it took me like 4 years to understand the power of it wow it's cool

Oh ok. So it's in differential equations then... good lol.
What is your understanding of Fourier analysis like as of now?

I didn't use it until signal processing and then also circuit analysis

in DE I used Laplace, not Fourier, though I suppose Fourier is a specific case of the Laplace transform (probably not theoretically right, >lol engineers)

In the end of my ODE book, they go over Fourier series, but we didn't cover it.

Most schools will probably cover it in ODE's or PDE's.

It's in analysis, not differential equations.

Here you learn it in 4th semester in CS in "Computer Networks and distributed systems". I´m in 2nd sem and took it without all prerequisites, let´s see how it turns out.

this could be just my school, but at Berkeley we learn Fourier Series in order to solve PDEs in Linear Algebra/Differential Equations

They're needed to solve partial differential equations so that's when they're usually taught. Otherwise there will be a separate course for them, which is likely to be pure analysis rather than computation. Physics and electrical engineering departments will teach them for application.

ECE department teaches it in a class called "Transform Methods & Filtering", its also commonly referred to as "Signals & Systems". Fourier series has a lot of applications though so you'll see it in a few different courses/departments.

Hmm we first learned about it in Calc 2. But only very, very briefly.

Then in PDEs, we use it all the time to solve differential equations. That's the whole point, like half the course is using Fourier Series in some way. So that's where you'll see it at least.

Then again in analysis you'll probably go into much greater detail about it.

sort of related but how can I intuitively understand the Fourier transform of a picture? I understand the DFT of an audio signal but decomposing a picture into frequencies I've never understood. does it have to do with the wavelength of light and all that? how do you go from frequency --> colour?

Did it in the equivalent of calc 3 (i think) in australia

Learned it at the same time as Laplace transforms and some other math shit.

The class I learned them in consisted of Laplace transforms, Fourier series, and PDEs

I learned it in the end of a Math course for natural scientists / chemists. That was the first semester. But we did not really do anything with it apart from calculating what sawtooth waves etc. would look like (and need it for understanding spectroscopy). A proper math course goes way beyond what I need so I suppose it's just fair that here it's taught sometimes around the 3rd or 4th semester, tho I am not entirely sure about when / in which course exactly.

You may or may not learn it in DE. If it covers partial differential equations, most dont or just a little bit

I never touched Fourier Series until I took a signals class. Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever took a math class that actually taught FS or FT. The only other place I remember FS/FT was in QM courses.

>but at Berkeley, we learn