Fermi Paradox

Why haven't we detected alien life yet? Imagije how the human society will look like in 3 BILLION years and tell me we wouldn't left detectable traces for any remotely intelligent life to detect in the entire galaxy or even control the growth and spread of all alien life.
So why can't we find anything?
And remember your explanations needs to satify not only one alien species but ALL alien species including future humans colonizing space.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox#Humans_are_not_listening_properly
youtube.com/watch?v=IfPdhsP8XjI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_radio_stations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You assume that super intelligent species would want to expand and spread everywhere like a bunch of monkeys

We do
You assume that NO super intelligent species ever would want to spread everywhere

Could it be that all life tries to kill itself before leaving for the stars?
Could it be that we are some of the earliest 'Smart' life out there.
Could it be that Aliens don't want others to find them because we are all doomed to killing each other off?
Could it be one alien per Galaxy.
Could X/ be right and there are aliens and our government is keeping it quite?

I'm not assuming, I'm just saying there might be reasons we cannot understand.

>And remember your explanations needs to satify not only one alien species but ALL alien species including future humans colonizing space.

u first

Because they have created the Matrix and are entertained by that instead of actual reality.

Think about it, if a species are capable of intergalactic travel, they are also capable of creating the most insanely advanced entertainment, and are probably lost in some virtual reality playing Gods.

So you're answer is "we don't understand"
Very smart answer

Will humans inevitably do the same?

>lol i poasted it again

So tell us your smart idea user

My personal guess is that life, especially intelligent life, is incredibly rare. Not just 1 in a million rare but maybe even 1 in a trillion or 1 in quadrillion rare and that we in fact might just be some lonely freak a nature and the only intelligent species in the the entire galaxy and the reachable universe.

That's the only explanation so far that makes sense to me but it's incredibly depressing

Considering that human society is currently the most hedonistic it has ever been, I'd say yes.

Most, no.. I mean we are bad but Rome had it much worse. Actually have Religofags to thank for that.

Anot her solution is maybe they just all turned into mega intellegent computers and just kick back in that thing forever until the universe dies
Maybe they didn't want to fuck with the universe as is and left prematurely

>I mean we are bad but Rome had it much worse

No way dude. Between millions of people watching shows on Netflix, the accessibility of drugs, the accessibility of luxury goods, I'd say our society is vastly more hedonistic.

We're the precursors m80
We're the ones that get to tenderly rape the young species.

Alternatively, dark matter is composed of dyson spheres.

>13 posts
>4 posters

"lol why aren't there aliens yet" threads are such circle jerks
The question is so ridiculous its not even funny

>16 posts 8 posters
>People discuss with each other and therefor post multiple times

WOOOW

There are other possibilities.

It is possible that we are on the leading edge of intelligence development and nobody else is appreciably further along in technological development than we are.

It is possible that even if intelligent life is more abundant than your estimates, the percentage that successfully migrate to the stars [or even use radio] is very low.

It is possible that the window of years for detecting a transitioning civilization is very finite [ie: 200 years or so]. *IF* there is a way of traveling faster than light, or cheating your way around it, or whatever-- The odds are strongly in favor of using that method for communication. Consequently: What we are looking for is only around for 200 or so years making it very likely that even if they were detectable, the window of detection has long since passed.

It is possible that our own detection capabilities are laughably finite.

It is possible that others presume the galaxy to be a hostile place and do not want to be found in respect of their own self-preservation.

It is possible that others have a policy of non-intervention with primitive societies.

I like that idea
I just want to put a massive middle find in the Centre of the galaxy that emits a constant radio stream that yells "fuck you" forever

>People discuss
More like people jack each other off.

These threads are filled with statements like "my personal guess" or "I personally believe" or "I like that idea "
Well the universe doesn't give a fuck what you believe or what you like.
This is tier garbage.

Real popular at parties huh?

I wish there was a movie that was about humans being the alien conquerors who hunt inferior species for fun or because we see them as the threat to realize that every alien story we ever told was actually us fantasizing about raping other species

Ok, I'm going to ignore your use of fallacies [so no DEDUCTION here], and instead I will offer information that counters that proposition [INDUCTION].
1.) Space is big. like, really, really big.
2) Aliens would have to have a reason to search and contact other life forms
3.) Maybe we're not a priority on anyone's list... we know that sometimes content Civilizations ignore the small savage ones; they become lazy beggars
4.) Most of the matter in the universe is dark matter; so they're probably composed of that and we can't see them

The Rare Earth Hypothesis.
That and the fact that evidence of intelligent life is going to be very difficult to detect. If they had some sort of FTL travel they might be able to jump around all over the place, creating signals and shit, and the Fermi paradox is evidence against the viability of FTL travel. Obviously this isn't conclusive, but it's in line with theory.

The only fallacy here is you assuming that intelligent life would only be detectable by deliberately sending out signals but the bigger and more advanced a society is the more it should show itself.
Dyson Spheres are a good example how super advanced intelligent life should be easily detectable by even inferior species

I'm not using any fallacy nor am I assume anything.
Quote me.

While hard to fathom at the moment, black body radiation can maybe be fuck raw right in the ass.
Far-reaching sure, but it's way cooler to imagine there's dyson sphere everywhere instead of lame >muh exotic matter

>Most important question of our time.
>Ridiculous

You seem to be quite the autist.
"Oh no people are discussing something that goes against my beliefs, I must enter their thread and waste every ones time with idiocy"

Why conquer space when I can just shoot happiness into my body 24/7

Nice.

>Rome had gladiatorial combat to the death with animals and people and slaves
>Rome had parties where people would eat until they vomited and then start eating again just so they could taste delicious food as much as possible
Rome was way more hardcore

One important thing to consider is the complete lack of likelihood that a society goes through an industrial revolution of sorts to provide scientific development

Just look at native americans, aboriginals, 3rd world nations

if it weren't for the complete luck of the american colonies breaking from british rule, we could have been lead by a monarchy in peasant poverty for millennia more without scientific advancement

It takes more than a self-conscious being to advance scientifically, especially to the point of space conquering

Now imagine all of the "fear of different ideas" that killed scientific improvement like heliocentrism for example. This is basically natural selection acting against intelligence, and to some extent it could prevent scientific advancement (or at least the booming advancement such as we've experienced since the industrial revolution)

still saging because i'm tired of seeing this thread 24/7

The most probable conclusion is that species avoid all contact because:
A) its hard to travel fast
B) interspecies Relations will end in the more advanced killing/enslaving the less advanced.
And even if one species would try to fight another the distance in time would be so great that the less advanced species would be advanced enough to destroy everything the other species send at their time of arrival.

Interspecial relations are futile and meaningless because the speed of light is so tiny.

They all realized life is utterly meaningless, but not like we do. Humans mostly use nihilism as a step to absurdism where you conjure your own meaning. Others kill themselves off. But this "meaning" we make for ourselves is also utterly meaningless, it's just a way to get your mind away from death, disease and that lonely state of introspection.
Other civilizations, considering they are more advanced, probably ditched absurdism and got back to hedonism, slowly dying off in ecstasy until they are all no more.
Let's say my hypothesis is true, then that would mean that humans are also very close to a hedonistic apocalypse because other civilizations didn't leave anything behind that we can find. At this point, we have left nothing behind yet, but I predict that in a 100 years we will leave something that will get noticed. So the apocalypse should happen before that.

This or space is just like really fucking big and we're in possession of some vast Julayyus Ceasar lmao the second or some shit man chillax smoke a blunt.

The universe inflated faster and earlier than predicted. We are the 1st intelligent species.

>And remember your explanations needs to satify not only one alien species but ALL alien species including future humans colonizing space.
Who would have known that the feeble electromagnetic whispers we've been emitting for merely a hundred years isn't going to travel too far?

The rules don't change just because you're on a different planet, somebody in our closest neighboring system that maybe possibly sorta could have life would point a dish directly at our solar system and blast us in the UHF band for us to even notice them, much less recognize it as a communication effort from intelligent life.

TL;DR space is very fucking big and the inverse square law is a bitch.

It is this, and the likely eternal mystery of the universe's creation, that has led me to believe in an arbitrary deity as a possible theory to explain this.

I can't wait till we find some alien aztec species that hails us as gods and will make it their life purpose to serve us

>You assume that NO super intelligent species ever would want to spread everywhere
Why would they have to be "super intelligent"?
We might one day colonize the galaxy, and we aren't "super intelligent".

More importantly, you're assuming everyone can live on Earth.
There could be dozens of intelligent species hell-bent on spreading to every habitable planet.
At least to every planet that's habitable to THEM.
But how many of those species are comfortable with Earth's gravity, temperature, background radiation level, etc?

Also, if intelligent species are common, and interstellar travel is more plausible than it seems,seems then somebody probably "owns" this part of space, and might be keeping trespassers out.

There could be lots of other plausible explanations for our lack of contact.
You're just saying "I can't be bothered to think of an explanation for the observed data, therefore: paradox!"

>implying those things don't happen today
the average person in western society today is more hedonistic than the average person in Roman society

Okay, so? We're hedonistic, but we still get shit done anyway.

>Could it be one alien per Galaxy
All your other points are good. Could you bother to explain this one?

You're implying that because planets are old that means that they had the conditions for harboring life since their inception.

This not true for the Earth, so why would it be for other planets capable of life?

You're also implying that technological advancement is exponential. Think about the burning of the library at Alexandria, it set us back by hundreds of years.

Or they can travel through dimensions. Why spend time exploring this one if they can transcend it?

It's not out there

Our moon is what gives our planet the ability to spawn life and so far we have found no other planets with a moon like ours

We may very well be the only intelligent beings in the universe

terrible logic
>detection
This is the only meaningful distinction.
1) can we detect the EM waves they're species
tech may produce ( i have no idea about meaningful sized gravity waves from a type +++ civ )
within this question is another, does the civ hide itself?
2) has enough time elapsed for the those waves to have reached us ( time at which civ started sending out EM waves, distance from earth, acceleration from earth )

yadda yadda

>more likely they would show
?

>Our moon is what gives our planet the ability to spawn life

Really?

The worms ask why they haven't found any alien worm tunnels yet.

In a garden.

Tended by humans.

In a major city.

>"Surely alien worms would have left signs of their presence throughout the universe for us to find with our worm minds and worm senses." Says the scientist worm, and rightly so, for worm science is the lens by which the universe opens its secrets to wormkind.

>"Great worm scientists, why can I not dig through this material? Our best efforts to break it fail!" Says a pleb worm, slapping his snout against a piece of concrete, not realizing he is brushing up against a construct of the gods.

>"The universe is especially hard in certain locations, such that our most expert diggers cannot breach them. But the position of these areas appears random to us so it must be a natural phenomenon."

>"Thank you worm scientists, I'll try digging over here then!" Says the pleb worm, as he dives into a nice comfortable vein of soft earth.

Yes, without the moon our planet would be lifeless

This is stupid.

>terrible logic
How so?

>>detection
>This is the only meaningful distinction.

I was addressing the issue "why haven't the aliens colonized Earth yet?", but if you want to switch to "the great silence", fine.
Every star in the Galaxy *might* have a civilization broadcasting radio waves at the same level we do, and we'd never hear a thing:
>SETI estimates, for instance, that with a radio telescope as sensitive as the Arecibo Observatory, Earth's television and radio
>broadcasts would only be detectable at distances up to 0.3 light-years, less than 1/10 the distance to the nearest star.

>yadda yadda
Yabba-dabba-doo...

>fermi paradox
>implying a comprehensive survey of cosmic RF has been completed
>common elements and chemical reactions can only originate life once in all of time and space

Wow man there must be some sort of magic that only exists on Earth, right godfags?

Why would aliens want to colonize Earth?

How so?

The extraordinary claim is that in the entirety of the cosmos, life only exists on Earth. That would take some pretty extraordinary explanation.

Yes a civilization like ours wouldn't be detactable yet.
But what about a billion year old civilization that has been blasting van Neumann probes throughought the galaxy for millions of years? Where are their traces? They shouldn't even be hard to detect. It should be as easy looking up in the sky and seeing the stars.

Why would a billion year old civilization be blasting probes all over the place? Why not draw huge alien dicks in the sky with stars? Maybe galaxies actually look like alium asses and are grafitti? There's dank matter for you duder! xDDD

But we already have.
Just look to the fingolians. Human/alien hybrids.

In all seriousness and ignoring the literally thousands of UFO sightings every year, what traces would you expect to see?

>Why haven't we detected alien life yet?
Because energy usage of a civilization does not increase exponentially. Instead of expanding outwards, civilizations get denser to minimize communication latency.

Interstellar expansion is a meme.

>Why would aliens want to colonize Earth?
Who knows?
I wasn't the one claiming they would want to.
I'm addressing OP's concerns:
>explanations needs to satify not only one alien species but ALL alien species...colonizing space.

He seems to believe that if even one species were intent of colonizing the entire galaxy, they should be building settlements on Earth by now.

The only correct post in this thread

If anything, better technology would lead to more efficient energy usage. It's as if some were extrapolating coal usage or something. Imagine spaceships with 100L V40 motors with big blowers and flames shooting out.

Inverse square law is bullshit and you know it

Well that should be tenfold less of a satisfying answer than not knowing.

If religion was a fact, and we KNEW there was a God, but life was exactly the same, I'd only be repulsed by the creator

>civilization that has been blasting van Neumann probes throughought the galaxy for millions of years?
There's no reason to believe we'd see them.
Any von Neumann probes are almost certainly built for stealth.
The designers would realize their probes harvesting local resources would be likely seen as a hostile act, especially since they would be gathering enough fuel/energy/whatever to accelerate a significant mass to relativistic velocities, and that would pose a huge threat to any planetary civilization.
Besides, it's not like we're likely to detect alien probes in the first place.
In the last 12-15 years, we've just started discovering more kuiper belt dwarf planets besides pluto.
Objects hundreds of miles in diameter, and we've never seen any of them close up.
What if Haumea is a von Neumann probe?

Literally the main reason a civilization would start expanding spaceward is to satisfy growing energy consumption

That's my point.
Advances in technology will decrease the amount of energy used. Not increase it.

Energy usage in developed countries has already been flatlining for some time now.

Whatever man, you make way too many assumptions based on the human perspective. It may be that there's a sekrit klub, no fags allowed where species are only allowed out once they get over their base evolutionary animal behaviour. You can't blame them if they don't want space niggers flooding the cosmos, which may have happened in the past and lessons learned.

Anyway you seem like a curious chap so enjoy this entertaining and though provoking speculative fiction.

Google All Tomorrows

A Billion Year Chronicle of the Myriad Species and Varying Fortunes of Man

Nemo Ramjet

>space niggers flooding the cosmos
>my sides

Also, just realized that all of my sci fi fantasies are devoid of minorities...

what's the furthest distance we could be from earth in order to detect life here with our current tech?

why do seti try to detect radio waves when the inverse square law is a thing?

is it any wonder we haven't 'detected' an alien civ when we are looking for radio waves? why do we assume aliens would use radio?

why is our search for alien intelligence always based on the idea that aliens would require technology to become civilised?

are we just being anthropocentric morons?

Because the trend of advanced technology is looking downwards and inwards.

If we every phase over to machine-based "life" then our capability of creating highly interesting and vast expanses of virtual space will outstrip any capability to explore realspace by several magnitudes.

Imagine start to lithographically sculpture the lunar surface and interior volumes with lithographic processes.

If we have a meter-meter comparison of earth to moon area then the moon is just 0.074 earth surfaces, but if we have a meter-nanometer comparison the moon is 74 000 000 earth surfaces. And that's just surface.

So chances are we'll never bother to explore the very large scales of the cosmos because the very small scales will have so much more to offer. We can only crudely manipulate sub-elemental particles today. Just like we once could only crudely shape stone by banging them together. And just like we nowdays can form bulk material into whatever we want we may one day be able to form subelemental particles in similar manners, and from there we could dive deeper.

Once you're operating on very fast timescale with very fine manipulators it becomes feasible to consider particles and energies like material objects in your living room. An unstable elements becomes a ball rolling towards the edge of a table something you're used to manipulate before it breaks down. The periodic system stops being an assortment of stable elements you pick and chose from and is replaced by a framework that governs sub-nuclear physical interactions, it becomes an active and designed system that you can manipulate to do things. Then you can tease at these at their subcomponents and make even finer systems. At the end of the day you might be able to create nearly massless integrated systems that could behave like neutrinos but have the computational power of the internet.

tl;dr The colonization of the universe happened but their microcomputers are indistinguishable from protons.

youtube.com/watch?v=IfPdhsP8XjI

Some more speculation.

Anyone being able to create such femtomachines would likely also have the best colonization opportunity also. They could be propagated through the universe at the speed of light or very very close and when they hit anything they'd not need to violently lithobreak into it but could essentially do a computational handshake with it.

The extreme discrepancy of scale, both of time and szie would mean that they might not be aware of us at all depending on what networking and higher level structures they utilize. They might only be interested in talking to other particle-sized civilizations, or they might be entirely selfcontained and not talkative at all. Or simply disseminated and networking as a distributed network running some internal simulation that see most of the universe as a pitch black darkness except for the most cataclysmic events. They might then be aware of us due to particle accelerators injecting noise in their networking system.

Or we might be a high level metacomputation experiment/simulation that they run where their microprocessors pretend to be the physical dumb parts, but occasionally they play out some active moves to ensure their amusing simulation don't end up getting splatted by some coincidence. They might in fact have decided to do this with the entire universe, just gather their microprocessors into a massive point, load up the same physicis simulation properties and then intiailize all of themself to a high energy state and you've got a big bang, then just drift and do their internal fun simulation while their external behaviour follows the "game rulebook version 1.102"

We can simply not know how deep the rabbit hole goes. At any point in the history of mankind we've had somekind of "picture" of what the physical world is. But as we delve deeper we find more and more and more details. Just this week there was an annoucement that the LHC might have detected a particle not predicted by the standard model.

Oldest radio broadcast is like 121 years old but far too weak to be detected at that distance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_radio_stations

What would probably be easiest to detect is nuclear detonations. A very rapid optic sensor that observes the planetary orbits around a star for energy pulses could notice the blips from these. The peak power output from the tsar bomba was 10% of the solar output so that's definitely in the range where astrometrical instruments stand a chance to see it within dozens of lightyears. But airburst or spaceburst nuclear explosions aren't exactly frequent so they might not be a very reliable SETI target.

Fermi's paradox makes some bold assumptions that may very well be false. It assumes that any planet that can support life WILL support life and that any planet that does harbor life WILL advance.

I'm a geologist, so I'm well aware of how incredibly hard it was to create advanced life on this Earth. Something people often gloss over and ignore. Multicellular life, for example, didn't exist for over a billion and a half years after life developed on Earth. For 1.5 billion years life ... just ... did nothing above bacterial level. We don't even understand how Eukaryotes happened. It certainly doesn't make any sense. One bacteria started eating another bacteria and then ... just didn't. Suddenly Eukaryotes.

So if it took 1.5 billion years for multicellular life to start after life first developed. And it took another 540 million years for life to advance to primates. And it took another 2 million years for primates to advance to humans. And it took 200,000 years for humans to develop language and society.

Chances are advanced life is insanely rare.

>"what would probably be easiest to detect is nuclear detonations
>UFO sightings started in 1947 two years after the atomic bomb was tested
>UFO sightings peaked in 1952 the year the hydrogen bomb was tested.
>UFO sightings are more common around nuclear weapons bases
Coincidence?

>Chances are advanced life is insanely rare.
Or insanely advanced.

We're pretty far only when compared to our history. Sure we have internet and all those fancy mechanical techs but we're pretty far down the potential advancement ladder.

Think of it like this: The best nanomachines that nature provides: Our very own cells, are something we cannot even maintain or repair efficiently, let alone build workable artificial copies of.

On the other hand our own flavour of MEMS and or solid state nanomachines have proven that we can make very small and efficient devices that exceeds those that nature uses, but are not meshable.

As such we're not advanced life. We're intermediate life with advanced tools.

When we can rebuild ourselfs with our tool building techs to do the same or similar functions that the nature-version nanomachines do, then we can start to argue that we've become advanced life, but that level of technology will be staggering and the results will be very different than what we think of as life from our intermediate-level lifeform perspective.

tl;dr A good answer to the fermi paradox is that our level of perspective of life and technology is incredibly primitive. We still are primates and therefor we guess in primate-like ways and see things with primate-like eyes.

I cant wait for NASA to find life on Mars then all these "we r speshul" arguments will finally be BTFO

>UFO sightings started in 1947 two years after the atomic bomb was tested

That means the aliens had sensing equipment in the solar system and that this sensing equipment have superluminal communication ability and the aliens themself have FTL travel capability.

Or they had ships in the system and decided to start flying around by that time. The nearest star is 4 lightyears away so any sensors there wouldn't have noticed the bomb signatures until 1949.

>what if humans are van neumann probes

there might be an alien base out there yes. We've barely explored the solar system. Either that or they set up a wormhole.

>Inverse square law is bullshit and you know it
lmao!

I'd love to see you prove that retarded statement.

>One bacteria started eating another bacteria and then ... just didn't.

Doesn't need to be eating. Could just be a big bacteria chilling in a biofilm next to a small one(biggest to smallest bacteria today are like 5000:1 scale) and then eventually they started wrapping eachother because biggies stole some genes and could port the nutrients that smally needed into itself so smally had a good time and biggy was so used to having smally next to it. Or it could be phages that suddenly mutates a bacteria to go inception and put a bacteria in bacteria.

Some evolution later and they realized they became roided as fuck if several small smallies lived in biggie and the smallies had a leaky membrane so biggie could use their energy too.

It actually makes sense, not just eukaryotes ex machina.

The suggested timescales also oversimplify things. The first bacteria was a very crude thing. It then spent a shitload of time developing metabolic pathways and other bells and whistles that was a requirement for its future versions. They converted mineral mass to biomass, oxygenated the atmosphere and did all sorts of complex groundwork that made it possible for higher life to get shit done. The accelerating timescale after the appearance o higher life is also a good indicator that once the ball is rolling it will have a preference for where it's going.

>there might be an alien base out there yes.
The solar system is a very very very large place so sure why not. But if the bases were already there then why not visit before we go nuclear?

>there then why not visit before we go nuclear?
not him but there are a fair few ufo reports pre-1947

I think its possible that the Aliens are just us. From the future. If you extrapolate human evolution you get a hairless tall but quite weak creature with a huge skull. And since its so weak it created small worker drones that are not as smart but very good at serving. And now they are visiting us to find more about their past, like we are digging out ancient cities. The only thing they have to watch out for is bringing everyone back they abduckt, or they might accidently erase themselves from existing. Thats also why they don't invade us.

>It is possible that we are on the leading edge of intelligence development and nobody else is appreciably further along in technological development than we are.

In the local bubble, if they're on the opposite side of the milky way they could be pretty far ahead but due to distances they might as well not exist for another 100k years.

>It is possible that even if intelligent life is more abundant than your estimates, the percentage that successfully migrate to the stars [or even use radio] is very low.

Even if they use radio the need to be quite close to be detectable. Unless they create TeraWatt class radiobeacons they'll be virtually invisible beyond a few hundred lightyears.

>It is possible that our own detection capabilities are laughably finite.

It's a fact, not a possibility. The "megastructure candidate" star that was recently found was investigated with radiotelescopes and what they simply found out was that "oh, look, nobody there is using a 3-fucking gigawatt transmisssion array!". guess what, no one in the solar system needs a 3 fucking gigawatt transmission array either. So our search is severely limited by our detection capabilties.

>It is possible that others presume the galaxy to be a hostile place and do not want to be found in respect of their own self-preservation.
>It is possible that others have a policy of non-intervention with primitive societies.

Or they don't give a fuck because because they're evolving into an introspective community. If you can do full fidelity VR for ten million fully detailed earth-like planets in the same time that you could send a single probe to the nearest star, then which one do you think will end up capturing the public mind?

By the time you arrive at the second closest star you'll have created 400 new solar system with simulated planets, lifeforms orbital dynamics all of it in your home system, so the discovery will be dull in comparision to the creative potential that you have locally.

Why? Are there reasons other than "life exists here therefore it must exist elsewhere"? As i understand it, single celled life is unlikely but developing multicellular life is even less likely (and poorly understood). Not trying to argue, i am just asking.

> abduckt
What country of origin?

>not him but there are a fair few ufo reports pre-1947
Especially if you aren't looking for people claiming what they saw was extra-terrestrial/
A hundred years ago, TONS of people calmed to have literally "seen the light".
What we would currently interpret as a UFO encounter was once widely considered a religious experience.

>they'll be virtually invisible beyond a few hundred lightyears.
>with a radio telescope as sensitive as the Arecibo Observatory, Earth's television and radio broadcasts would only be detectable at distances up to 0.3 light-years,
>less than 1/10 the distance to the nearest star.

>a few hundred lightyears.
There could be a civilization similar to our own orbiting every star in the galaxy, and we'd never hear a thing.

You're right but the whole thing went crazy after 1947. Imagine if ghost reports shot through the roof on one particular year, it's weird.
But aliens are widely reported to be short. Who knows? Both theories are equally wild but there is definitely something going on.
Maybe they are just observing. Maybe they can't get involved for whatever reason. They are very evasive. The strangest thing about UFOs is that even if it really did turn out to be aliens their actions are still completely inexplicable. Here to make contact? Then why run away every time we get close? Here to spy? Then why hover with your lights on 10 feet above a military base? Here to abduct? Then why return the subjects so they can talk about what you did to them? In general why the fuck would you travel all the way to another planet just to joyride in the atmosphere and anally rape the local fauna?

No but the military never reported much before 1947. There was ghost rockets and foo fighters but that was it really. After 1948 when a USAF pilot got killed chasing a UFO that's when everyone got spooked. As I said it's as if say tomorrow ghost reports go through the roof to the point where the military starts getting concerned about the number of their personnel seeing things and then to cap it off one gets killed chasing a ghost. Either 1947 was aliens or the Soviets put something in the water.

This is great.

the most advanced races in the universe don't expand and colonize planets. they shrink down their own reality and live inside a tiny borg cube or they reside just outside black holes for all dat energy.

seriously, why would a hyper advanced species bother with the universe? they'd make everything tiny and efficient and just hook themselves up to the perfect virtual reality and slow down their perception of time so much that they essentially live forever.

to expand on that;

the universe is a big scary jungle full of horrors. any species that's truly intelligent wouldn't go calling out into the jungle in the middle of the night so predators can murder them.

the reason we cant detect any aliens/civilizations is because they don't want to be found.

also the universe is really fucking big :^)

>eventually they started wrapping eachother

It's called eating. And no it's so impossibly rare it happened once in 2.3 billion years and led to all advanced life as we know it.

In before it didn't only happen once. All life is descended from the same tree. We know from the fossil record that it only happened once so try not to make excuses please.

>We know from the fossil record that it only happened once
no, we really don't.

>It's called eating.
Only if consumed for nutrients, any other mechanism no.

>it's so impossibly rare it happened once in 2.3 billion years

Could've happened a hundred trillion times before, leading to parasitic dead ends before it finally happened in the right environment. Could've happened a hundred million trillion times more afterwards but eukaryotes ate the results before it could evolve to viability.

>muhg singular uniqueness
There's also one earth, wow such rare. Clearly if Earths were common we'd find more of them in our solar system!

Stop misconstructing retarded arguments please. Go look at your rocks and stay the fuck away from lifeforms if you insist on being willfully ignorant about them.

You don't know shit.