Is high school a meme...

Is high school a meme? I am finishing my AA at community college after taking all my ME prerequisites this summer after only one year of attendance. Why don't more people do this after finishing college? I estimate that I've saved about $10k just by living with my parents an extra year. I also got accepted to the best state college in my state, UF.

>Its okay to do shitty jobs!
>Has probably millions from being a celebrity and fans/friends across the world

Yeah, I'd do a shitty job myself if my life was perfect the hour I l clocked out.

Into the trash cuz fallacies & promoting aggressive doxa

I suppose I would sign a paper like that if I was a stupid shit who didn't have the opportunity for education.

>masters applied math (engineering)
>two undergrads (one in Math, one in EE)
>PhD next

>tfw my whole life is sidewheel equations, linear algebra, and circuit diagrams

Hmm

Literal spookfest. I was just talking about this on Veeky Forums yesterday.

>Sidewheel
How did my office misinterpret that?
*differential not sidewheel

Also nice eDick you fucking goof; no one cares.

Not focusing really on your question, but I feel that some anons don't really understand what Mike advocates for in images like this. His whole point is the advocacy for blue collar trade/vocational careers in a society where such careers are looked down upon, when there are millions of people 1) unemployed or 2) in massive amounts of college debt, getting worthless degrees with no real job prospect. Match this with the projected workforce loss in the next decade in these careers, and it makes more than enough sense what the guy is advocating for.

He's not saying people should ever get a degree, or that you're guaranteed to enter debt or have job issues if you strive for a college education; rather, he's reminding people (Americans) that not everybody needs to go to college to find a well-paying, accomplishing job

Take out number 5 and you could rename that "The Good Goyim Pledge."

>Not focusing really on your question, but I feel that some anons don't really understand what Mike advocates for in images like this. His whole point is the advocacy for blue collar trade/vocational careers in a society where such careers are looked down upon, when there are millions of people 1) unemployed or 2) in massive amounts of college debt, getting worthless degrees with no real job prospect. Match this with the projected workforce loss in the next decade in these careers, and it makes more than enough sense what the guy is advocating for.
>He's not saying people should ever get a degree, or that you're guaranteed to enter debt or have job issues if you strive for a college education; rather, he's reminding people (Americans) that not everybody needs to go to college to find a well-paying, accomplishing job
Greentexted the entire post because you're spot-on, and people like are somehow missing the simple point of Mike Rowe's message. If I had a dollar for every time I've encountered some dumb fucker with a useless degree whining about how they can't find a job when there's a shortage of local tradesmen/women/bears I could have probably paid for half of my B.Eng up front.

Mike means well and he's right that more people would be employed and not in debt if they were willing to work in certain jobs, but he is missing some important points. First, there's a reason that these jobs are only taken by immigrants who don't speak english- because they often don't pay living wages and have a high likelihood of leaving you injured with zero job prospects at a young age. Immigrants take the jobs because they have no other choice, and employers come to become dependant on paying those employees very low wages.

More importantly, he hasn't realized that most of these manual labor jobs are on the way out as they are all slowly being replaced by automated systems. You can't enter most of these careers and expect to have a lot of job security - these jobs are definitely not the future, which is a primary consideration when choosing a career path.

Also, I think his view of working is archaic. He seems to think that people should just enjoy working for the sake of appreciating the fruits of their labor. While it hasn't always been this way, people just don't view careers in that way anymore. People want to be passionate about what they do for a living, and there's no potential for passion in moving rocks around. Sure, this is an idealistic point of view which many in the word can't afford to have, but I would argue that it is a good evolution of how people view themselves and the work they do which results in an overall happier society. You DO have enough power over your life to choose to do something you enjoy for your whole life. People didn't use to have that choice, but it's a good thing that we have a choice now.

First we'll call them non-whites, not immigrants
A lot of the issue is how many of these non-whites exist, so they fill the workplace, and a white can't really join a company where the employees are non-whites/don't speak english.

100 years ago people were self-employed, fruits of your labor is irrelevant when you are working for a salary.

This flood of non-whites disrupts the natural mechanism of a contained market, whites being displaced from lowish wage careers is just one aspect of that.
Rowe being a guy born in the 60's has no clue what its like today.

High School (and college, and basically all education) is exactly as much bullshit as you think it is. By this, I mean that if you go into it thinking it's some system of hoops and meaningless tasks you have to perform for a piece of paper that has no value, then guess what? You'll find that, because it's true. But if you go into it with the mindset that you are there to learn things from other people, and that everyone knows something you don't, and you make an honest effort to try and understand the reason for doing things (sometimes even having to provide your own reason and connect things to your own life in ways that won't get points or garner you any privileges), then you'll find that too. Really, any school is a good preparation for any job - because you're always going to be dealing with other people. What you're actually "learning" at school is not the information itself. You can Google that shit, and everyone knows this. What you're learning is how to use that information and process and evaluate it and collaborate with other people so as to apply that information to something you find valuable. That's the "hidden agenda." That's what every teacher you'll ever have wants from you. Listen, think, apply to what you already know, find a way to make it valuable to what interests you, and integrate it into a larger context. Iterate as needed.

Depends on people.
I went to uni and I did much better than average, but that and office work bored me to tears.
I'm in welding school right now and every morning I'm glad to get up to go to the shop.

>People want to be passionate about what they do for a living, and there's no potential for passion in moving rocks around.
Yes, but you have people going to college just because they feel they *need* to so they can get any job at all, even in a field the person doesn't give a shit about. This is what he's talking about: people going to college with no direction just because going to college is what you do so that you can get a job just to get a job.

While I have no skin in the game concerning such work, what exactly would be the hardest jobs in trade/vocational work to automate and have the best future proofing?

You gotta give people and their kids a reason to pursue such careers in the future.

What parent would actively rather have their kid go into maintenance instead of something like engineering? How do you sell that shit to a parent (who rightfully so) wants their children and grandchildren to do better than them?

I say this as a young man who will soon enter a software dev team at 70k, who's parents worked in the travel and cleaning service industry who pushed their kids for higher education. Hell how would you convince me if I had a kid of my own to do trade work?

As racially baited as comment is there is a hint of truth to it. Just replace "whites" with "first world citizens" and the picture becomes a bit clearer.

>I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive.
Rofl. Normalfag stupidity is boundless

Unfortunately, life just doesn't always work out as neatly as we would like it to

People finish HS at 18 but at that age they are usually not at a stage in their life where they understand the world and their place in it well enough to know what they want to do for the rest of their life. A more reasonable age for such a decision should be closer to 25 imo, where people would have a much better chance of having the necessary life experience to make a good decision. Yet, we're forced to choose much earlier.

Much better than pseudo-intellectual cynicism in my opinion.

Stop trying to trigger me with right-wing propaganda.

>I live in America

sadly not (yet). And all this anti-american shit on the internet just makes it worse.

WHY COULDN'T I HAVE BEEN BORN AN AMERICAN

greatest country of all time desu

rEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's because you're a retard

High school does seem like a waste of time when one still has to take high school classes just to get an undergrad degree. I believe the first two years of an undergrad degree is taking high school level courses. The last two years being part of your major. I myself went to community college and got all the general education out of the way before I went to a university. It is not the best university, but it was the university where I wouldn't be in too much debt. I start cal poly pomona in the fall as a computer engineer major.

Electrician work is pretty automation-proof, at least within any of our lifetimes.
Welding is fairly future proof.
Plumbing is future proof.
All of these pay very well, have high job security and potential for growth.

That pledge was created by fat rich ceo's to try and comfort poor people into thinking their life is just as good as his

You could automate those things today

sorry that you didn't get into SLO, man
it's the only school that rejected me, and I got into UCB, UCLA, etc
sheeiiiiiiit

welding is very commonly automated already
i don't know much about the other two.

Yes and no.
Spot welding and some other processes are already automated on assembly lines, but the vast majority of welding is more or less custom jobs with processes that have mediocre adaptability for automation.

It's way cheaper and faster to hire skilled welders than to invest in expensive machines that can hardly do more than orbital or straight line welds and that would take a long time to test parameters of and need to ensure constant quality control and correction.

>because they often don't pay living wages
Obviously there are going to be the odd exceptions, but this in a large sense in untrue. This may be true for the first years of beginning your trade, especially when the individual is still in an apprenticeship, but experience and time in the career directly relates to income (as with most jobs, regardless of "collar"). This, along with the demand for these jobs in the next decade, are only going to increase salaries for the majority of trade workers, especially those who work in residential and commercial.

I will agree, though, that the majority of these jobs currently, especially in the short run, are not for people who plan to have extremely extravagant lifestyles, being the cause of jealousy amongst friends and family alike. There are jobs that don't follow this, however; enough experience in the trade can allow for higher, management positions, which increase pay, and certain careers are actually quite lucrative, such as welding (underwater welding, while requiring many years to master, can pay up to $90,000 a year) and bricklaying ($70-80,000 for expert bricklayers)

>being replaced by automated systems
This is also something I disagree with. While there is a large amount of automation occurring, there still has been very little that affects tradesmen. Most automation has been occurring within factories, places where these automated machines can be kept to assist with maintaining product output. Other than machines that place prebuilt brick roads in residential areas, I'm not aware of any machinery that can install brick and mortar, repair wiring in a home, or manually do all the tasks of a surveyor.

You can't even join the army without a high school degree. Generally, if an employer sees that you didn't even finish high school, they are going to think that you're a lazy piece of shit.

SLO is three hours away and I didn't want to pay $8,523 for tuition and an additional $10,677 for room and board just to live there. Especially for an undergraduate degree. I didn't even bother applying to the UCs.