Organic Chemistry

You have 5 seconds to prove to me why anyone should ever bother learning, understanding and memorizing all the complex functions, rules and ideas behind this decrepit, inane, obsolete study of chemistry

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!TscEEa4J!oy_02VEuhwzYb026k5taqf_N8h2la3MIyb4u7bHBxso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it allows you to literally play with nature. You can make drugs, explosives, medicines, materials, etc...

Sounds like you've already judged it before learning anything about it. Typical brainlet.

because mathematicians don't have sweet labs and some people think physicists messing with lasers is outright boring.

My senior research was on organic chemistry; think about how frustrating it is to try to create something from a simpler chemical, then walking down to the NMR downstairs and BOOM you find out (by literally solving a puzzle of data) that you've successfully synthesized your product. As hard as it was, it was the most challenging and rewarding experience of my life.

not that I don't respect mathematicians and physicists, their work makes organic synthesis possible. Otherwise you'd have some pretty archaic methods of figuring out what the fuck you've made. Without infrared spectroscopy, mass spec, NMR spec, we'd have to rely on good guesswork, melting point, specific gravity etc.

You could say the same thing of any discipline. Why bother learning anything?

You'd probably be dead without the medicine that was developed using this branch of science.

Also it's not completely obsolete, it's still used all the time.

I like the smell of organic compounds
(I feel I'm gonna die like this)

I'll dovetail on this: you also wouldn't have a significant number of materials used on a daily basis (polymers), enjoy a lot of the food you consume (flavorings), smell as good (shampoos and perfumes), or be able to clean your clothes (soaps and detergents).

The drugs that are the reason you are living today.

Fuckin retard

Also
>memorizing
DELETE THIS MEME

same lad

methy ethyl ketone smells like butterscotch and ethyl acetate smells divine too

I like the smell of chloroform, pretty sure I'm fucked.

>t. salty premed

do you write out the whole mechanism for a reaction scheme on a test and derive all the reactions, you fucking aspie? no, you don't. you memorise them.

oh wait, you can't even do that for organometallic reagent formation, since the mechanisms aren't fully understood, so you HAVE TO memorise them

ochem being all memorisation is a meme, but it not having memorisation, or having less memorisation than math or physics, is a meme, and I say this as a 98th percentile on the ACS final, with an A+ in both semesters of ochem

desu i admire chemists, especially organic chemists

I tried to get into it in college and genuinely found it fascinating. Loved synthesising stuff. Never had the sort of mind for it though - I can't memorise a million edge cases.

OrgChem aren't brainlets, they're just autistic, and thank god for them desu

Enough with the "desu" shit. Good grief. I doubt any of you actually even speak Japanese.

Baka, desu, senpai.

Is this a meme? Not knowing that there are world filters on Veeky Forums?

Or are you actually a retarded-beyond-belief newfag that posts without knowing jack shit?

Ah yes...good ol fashioned wet chemistry

Good lord i love doing TLCs because i get to smell sweet sweet hexane/ethyl acetate mixes. Dont even get me started on ether

>Not being a mathematician AND a chemist.

Geez, user

>tfw international society for mathematical chemistry has like 100 members
>tfw chemists hate math

Get back to me when the best resources on chemical graph theory and chemical algebra are from this century.

Because carbon is a cool element.

That hurt my feelings, user.

I wish more people were interested in modeling chemical and biological processes.

I prefer iron

Why do you like Iron so much?
>inb4 muh cell respiration
>inb4 muh ferromagnetic alloys
>inb4 muh sandwich compounds
>inb4 muh d-electrons

As a MD/PhD student I see it as;

if I don't understand this shit I'm as dumb as my peers in college

if I can't do it in the lab I'm as useless as a doctor

If you actually understand the chemistry it has all sorts of applications outside of the Orgchem class you take in undergraduate(biochemistry/Polymers/enviromental and so on)

I like the phase diagram.
And it gets even better with a lil carbon.

Tin also has cool phases, but is less useful

I'm a "newfag" who actually speaks Japanese, and finds it so fucking annoying that I have to read all of you fat morons posting "desu" all the time like you're cutesy fucking anime characters in a shit-tier anime.

T.b.h. (Without .) wordfilters to desu
Tbh desu DESU

>memorisation memorisation memorisation memorisation

Its called learning the discipline, pls shut the fuck up

I don't learn things that have a half-baked reason behind them. I memorize them.

Inorganic >>>> Organic

>he has to memorize

>oh wait, you can't even do that for organometallic reagent formation, since the mechanisms aren't fully understood, so you HAVE TO memorise them

No you fucking don't. As an organometallic/inorganic chemist, you learn a few concepts and then apply them and about 95% of the time your intuition is correct. Memorization is fucking dumb and only people that don't have a grasp on the foundations of chemistry do that.

>I failed Organic Chemistry 1 and I need justification: the post

Are you computer scientist?

P-please don't be mad senpai

How come a computer engineering major has to take Chemistry 101?

>barely study
>three test in and have an average of 85%
>fourth test I am not taking since the lowest gets dropped
>only need 80 points out of 200 to pass the class
>will half ass it and take whatever grade because I don't care
>majority of points that I lose is due to not memorizing key terms
>memorizing to get a good grade

I only need Chemistry 101 to fulfill a requirement, but I hope that further chemistry classes have less memorization.

Lol such a salty bitch
You know there's a global filter right?

making meth, morphine and heroin

>but I hope that further chemistry classes have less memorization.

top fucking kek. Good luck with that.

What a nigger cuck desu

A global filter doesn't change the fact that you degenerate weeaboos exist.

Hello. I did not want to make a new thread for a seemingly silly question, but I hope that you guys are able to help me with this.

I am looking for a PDF file of the textbook Organic Chemistry: Principles and Mechanisms by Joel Karty. I have tried searching for it on Google and various torrent trackers, but the searches were not successful.

If anybody could find this book for me, I'd really appreciate it.

kek stop being so sour desu global filters are life

>tfw just got an A in Organic Chemistry 2 at Florida State
>tfw all I heard of all year was how that was the class that broke every biology major, it was everyone's first "bad grade" etc
>tfw the median and average grade for every exam including the final was an F that semester
>tfw not even premed, just a plain biology major
>tfw all these premed majors suddenly discovering their passion for exercise science and psychology

Feels pretty fucking good.

that's called memorizing

it's not even that hard, nigger

Then everything is fucking memorizing you moron. Oh I learned how to tighten a screw on a table, I'm gonna apply that to tightening a screw on this chair. I can do it because I've memorized how to tighten a screw.

>thinking that just because a filter changes some words everyone is a weaboo
>on a Singaporean cross stitching forum
Please kill yourself

>Karty
I have a low res but readable, usable version of Karty.

mega.nz/#!TscEEa4J!oy_02VEuhwzYb026k5taqf_N8h2la3MIyb4u7bHBxso

This. An undergraduate course is pretty easy, you only have to read chewed results, but when you enter in investigation that shit gets hard.

Nobody is choosing to type the phrase "desu." It is involuntarily put in posts in place of t.b.h.

>do you write out the whole mechanism for a reaction scheme on a test and derive all the reactions,

yes

is it done differently in amerilardia?

Looks like somebody just got their final orgo mark. Got my orgo 1 grade yesterday, A+ and barely studied

bump for the guy who wants the textbook

desu senpai is really mad

I'm not going to be getting my bachelors until 23, is there a point? I will likely be double majoring with math to compensate though.

Thanks a lot! You two rock.

How did you get your hands on a copy of the PDF, by the way?

and will I ever get to go to grad school with multiple Fs on my transcript, even if I retook them and end up with a 3.5+ GPA and solid research experience?

Yes (if you're ok with being a lab tech) and no.

Only if you're a premed.

Nah, its totallty possible for him to get into some grad program. Double majors usually get tons more leeway, depending on how well they play it up. He'd probably have to get a master's first though if he wanted a doctorate from a worthwhile school. Also depends on his relationship with his research advisor and their connections.

Sup Veeky Forums.
I want to learn organic chemistry myself.
What book can I buy and literally self-teach myself the principles and getting me started?

How's your med degree going, huh ?

Sounds like you're a salty premed that failed his class.

Granted, undergrad Ochem is nothing but stamp-collecting and memorizing, but it's still easy as fuck. Pchem and Inorganic Chem were much more fun as a ChemE.

>Dont even get me started on ether
Don't even get me started on vanillin/anisaldehyde stains, that shit starts baking and it smells so right

Just google "best organic chemistry text", and go download it off lib-gen, dude.

I just finished Pchem, and literally spent half the class thinking "So THAT'S why that fucking happens", and all of the shit I've known from general chemistry came together, and made a lot of physical sense. It was a really great class imo.

Almost all of the fun stuff you can make with chemistry is illegal, and pretty hard with out a decent lab

What shit school do you go to that doesn't make you answer mechanistic problems in ochem?

Find a different field. As a graduating senior, you have been warned

thanks senpai

>graduating senior
I said 23, not 70, retard

O-Chem is so fucking stupid.

"Here's this rule that applies to chemical compounds, except for chemical compounds X, Y, Z. Now remember these 50 different rules with all their different exceptions."

It's not even science, it's just fucking rote memorization. Shit is retarded.

Get a job in a decent lab then, dip shit. You sure are fuckin stupid.

>and I say this as a 98th percentile on the ACS final, with an A+ in both semesters of ochem
Wew lad.

I got if from a kid taking chem112A at Cal.
Evidently his access to the PDF is legit, it came with the paper copy he bought.