Did anyone here think that they could handle STEM/Physics/Math/Engineering and ended up hating it...

Did anyone here think that they could handle STEM/Physics/Math/Engineering and ended up hating it? Could you share your story?

>Did anyone here think that they could handle STEM/Physics/Math/Engineering
I studies physics and thought I could handle it. And indeed I did.
>and ended up hating it?
I ended up hating Engineering
>Could you share your story?
I worked with Engineers for my PhD and they don't know what a Gamma function is and do what they do for the money. When they go home to their families in the evening they leave their work life behind them.

I know I'm not quite the most tolerant person, but this kind of attitude still rustles me.

I've always wanted to study maths/physics but I ended up doing electrical engineering. I like my field a lot but this attitude bugs the shit out of me too. A lot of engineering students spend all day bitching about how hard they have it while if they just took a minute to appreciate the maths they would realize how simple a lot of the things are.

it's like some people go out of their way to learn as little as possible

>A lot of engineering students spend all day bitching about how hard they have it
I'm never sure if this isn't really meant seriously or if people actually spend this much time on their stuff.

I did EE too (at a middle of the road school) and while I was busy I always had time for my own stuff; I never experienced anything close to working 8 hours a day to keep up with the courseload like people talk about.

I thought I could be a mathematician.

Now I'm in a math PhD program and realize how fucking stupid I am.

I'll probably never become a mathematician, and even if I did, I would be always stressed and feel perpetually stupid.

I hate myself.

it can definitely be true at times but it's draining to be around whining people all day. It's a giant circlejerk and I'm probably guilty of it myself

Question for you friend. I'm interested in going the applied math route to do more mathematical scientific computing/CFD stuff.

Job wise, would it be better to have a PhD in engineering, applied math or just math? Keep in mind that the research would pretty much be the same (same journals, same conferences, same people at the conferences) and that I'm only asking about the name of the subject that show up on the diploma.

I wish I could answer this, but I don't know. I've never considered it.

But I know that the pure math I'm studying, and most pure math, is absolutely useless outside of academia. So probably not pure math.

>go to community college for 2 years
>finally transfer over to uni last semester
>take University Physics 1
>fail first test with a 57
>not used to studying for something that wasn't all that interesting to me
>continue on
>start getting depressed
>realize that this isn't for me
>begin hating it
>drop it
>become math major
>happier than ever

And that's how the popsci got me.

Inb4 this retard thinks math is purely computational

Inb4 this retard thinks he knows how to proof cause he took his "intro to proofs" class.

This, except I started off engineering, hated it, switched majors to physics, life's been (relatively) great ever since.

This would be me if I went down the math route (or even mathematical physics) but I memed out for theoretical physics. I definitely wouldn't be able to do research maths, though I love hearing about it from my maths friends.

I switched from an Arts degree in International Studies to do Geology. I had to do a compulsory 'Introduction to Math' paper and ended up loving it so much that wherever I could I would add math papers like discrete math. In second year (for science) now and I am going to minor in Geology instead (because I just can't find the interest anymore) and major in Math with my final year being applied math topics like Cosmology and seismology or some actuary math.

I pretty much failed every single assignment in my first math paper and had to get tutored on how to do fractions and I remember spending 8 hours doing a homework sheet once but now I'm headed to do analysis next year and computability and complexity. I see it as basically a 'fun' degree like arts but with genuine usefulness outside of academia.

I found I was far to intelligent for STEM

What are you studying now, Coco?

The only thing I hated was having no stem friends to study and hang out with.

every single year of my engineering degree I've been telling myself I should switch to mathematics. Every year I'm too lazy to actually go through with it and now I'm about to graduate with a masters degree in robotics instead of what I'm actually interested in.

I ace pretty much every exam but I'm frustrated as fuck because I constantly feel like I'm in the wrong place. My hope right now is to get into a PhD program in applied math or get a second masters degree.

Edward Witten did his undergraduate in history, and then entered a masters program in economics.

It wasn't until that late in his life that he decided to instead study mathematics, and look what he accomplished. Revolutionary results in both string theory and pure mathematics, and the only physicist to win the Fields medal.

Never too late.

(Just kidding, you're not a genius like Witten.)

>Revolutionary results in both string theory
>Witten
>physicist to win the Fields medal

Veeky Forums pls. He's a great mathematician I'll grant you that, but work on meme theory and its related algebras is not revolutionary work in physics.

finish your fucking engineering degree and make assloads of money doing interesting work while you self study math to your hearts content.

why is this so difficult for people to understand?

I find it extremely strange that you claim that engineers would not know about the gamma function. Many fluid dynamics textbooks would have introduced the beta and gamma functions at some capacity.

Yes

I have an IQ of 160, as tested by multiple psychologists, and I decided to take on a physics degree only to find that physics bores me to tears and that I desired excitement in my life so I left uni and enlisted (11b option 40) and joined the Rangers then switched MOS (to 12D which is diver) after my initial contract was up and when I got out, which was recently, I got a job working as an underwater welder and that's what I'm doing now. I enjoy the challenge and the working environment and make significantly more money than the vast majority of physicists out there

I still enjoy reading about scientific breakthroughs and new tech though

Imposter syndrome 101.

APPLIED MATH!

because people will take you as long as the requirments are lots of math ut you DO HAVE TO SHOW INTEREST and those other softer things will be taught at work.

newfag totally and utterly detected

a math professor told me
>don't feel bad if you feel like you don't belong n this field, everyone feels like that at some point

hang in there bud.

Applied algebra is the hot thing in my department. We have a number theorist with a dual appointment with EE.

I went into college trying to major in chem, had a fine freshman and sophmore year, really liked it. Then Organic chemistry 2 absolutly kicked my ass. Failed it twice. Switched over to a math major, got a job calculating costs and giving prices for a construction company... i like it, but damn this was not my plan at all >.

I entered engineering. I realized I might be more of an applied physics guy, because I have wider interests than a single engineering discipline. On the other hand AP might not be what I really want. I want to build cool shit and I can build cool shit. I can always figure out how to do what I want to do.
EE and related interests me the most right now, but I want to get more broad. I also do shit with computers too.
I'm probably gonna go and try to get an msc in mechatronics. Maybe some kind of a PhD? I don't know whether I would like that.
One of my biggest problem with engineering is that a lot of jobs are this almost technician level shit. I want to do some real design stuff. Plus most of the guys are best described by these two dudes:
Most eng. guys I see have no intuition or creativity and they are very rigid. They don't think about stuff, they just design stuff like they're told and they have no original thoughts. I know 90% of the people go into engineering because of muh money. Neither they want to learn physics deeper or figure out new cool methods to do stuff.
On the other hand physicists are while usually chill dudes I know a guy who doesn't even understand electricity properly and a lot of physics bros are very impractical. They somehow can't connect what they learned with reality. "They can't see it."
The rest are the exception in both fields. physics probably got more talented guys, because guys who enter physics usually have at least some passion for physics. Most engineeringfags don't think of eng. as physics related, because they're retarded. They think of it as a boost to their paycheck.
So I guess what I really hate is categorization because of what you study. A degree doesn't make you bad-ass. You are still as fucking stupid as you were before. In contrast someone very intelligent can very easily make X degree look bad-ass, because of how well he knows his shit whether it's actually related to his degree or not.

Late in his life? He was fucking 22 when he started his phd which is the usual age. And he still finished in 3 years

The point is he didn't even begin studying real math until that age, unlike most mathematicians who begin taking graduate courses by age 20.

I really like studying and reading about science in my free time. But honestly, I was a B student in highschool in the regular science and mathematics, and was surprisingly an A student in English and History. I don't know if it was because I didn't try hard enough because at the time, I wasn't a science person, or if im just naturally bad at science and mathematics, and good at writing (yeah, I know my post's writing style sucks).

And now, here I am at college to put myself to the test. If im still an amateur in sciences, but still do english and history well, im will be upset. I want to be a STEM major, and will do anything to be "naturally" good at it.

>Still in community college
>Began high interest in mathematics
>somedays i feel hopeless and like an idiot
>somedays i get an A and feel like a genius
>undecided
>Thinking of computer science
>scared of people saying "computer science is very difficult"
>scared of people more intelligent than me telling me math major is difficult as well
>lost

this desu senpai. Maths is a huge trap because unless you're genius level you just can't make the right connections/abstractions.

Moving towards mathematical physics moreso now but I don't have quite the commitment to study all day ery day like I need to for that either.

>monkey

Thank you. I really hope so.

I at least hope I can finish my PhD. Worst case scenario I'll become a community college professor. I'd be sad that I'd never be able to share how amazing mathematical logic is, but at least it'd be near zero stress for the rest of my life.

Hopefully, though, with a PhD from a top-tier uni, I'll be able to become a professor at some third rate university. That's my goal at this point.

Almost everyone has to give up on their dream at some point. Giving up on your dreams is part of becoming an adult.

Nigga I've been on this website since 2008.