Russian Food

Anyone here try making some traditional Russian food? Slavic food in general would be ok to, I was thinking of trying Okroshka or maybe cold Borscht

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-borscht-recipe.html
natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/
youtube.com/watch?v=YO7AdLsUSec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ive made Borscht before, It tasted pretty good. I feel theres alot of room for finishing spices in it. Make it to impress normies because its purple.

Hit me with some good borscht recipes.

I think it's a chlodnik, not a borscht.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/summer-borscht-recipe.html

Ok I know it! In Poland we call it Lithuanian chlodnik (Lithuanhian cold soup). I do not like it :(

Russian cuisine is boring as fuck
Borscht and pierogi are alright though

- living in russia for 20 years

My great grandparents immigrated to the United States from Russia during WWII. I grew up eating all the best dishes. I thought my diet was pretty normal until I grew up and joined the Army. That's when I learned most Americans ate a lot of boring and bland food.

Pirozhki are good. Blini are good. Okroshka sounds good too.

Blinis with roe, finely chopped onion and smetana are godtier.

tried making this last night.

does i stew the veggies in the pepto, or add them raw as a last-moment garnish?

>fat suits try to make pepo bismol some hip cool thing

I don't understand american marketing

>borscht
>cold
stop that

Barczct is probably my favorite soup. If im lazy i just buy decent frozen gyoza to add to the soup after cooking them

Yep.

Now for some poor slav dorm room classics.

>boil pasta
>saute hamburger meat
>combine
>smother in ketchup

>oil pan
>add diced potatoes
>add salt
>fry untill there are some crispy parts

>take bread
>apply butter
>apply kielbasa

Your best Russia story. Go!

Oh, yes. Pirogi from Stolle are fucking awesome.

One time I got out of a cab and had to walk over a drunk guy on the way to the store.

This looks delicious

The thumbnail of this image had me worrying that it would be aspic with noodles.

Yeah. Those bastards are magnificent. If you ever come to Moscow, don't forget to eat some of them.

>Russian cuisine is boring as fuck
>Borscht and pierogi are alright though
so what your saying is that russian food is boring and polish/ukranian food is ok tho

Cold borscht isn't for everyone, but hot is absolutely delicious. If you enjoy sour tastes, solyanka is worth a shot, as is Polish white borscht (zurek).

I'm currently in Russia.

>literally a hole in the floor between my room and the one bellow
>married couple live there
>with small child

I don't think they ever leave.

>in kitchen
>4 stoves
>0 working ovens
>turn on sink to wash dishes
>20 cockroaches scurry in all directions

Learned how to make pelmeni and piroshki before my babushka passed away :(

Where do you live?

Pelmeni, make sure to fill one with salt, serve with sour cream, and chives or dill. Salt pickles, black bread and vodka.

stick your dick through the floor hole.

then you wait.

Another, take a chicken breast or thigh, pierce with as many holes as you can put into it, fill each hole with a sliver of garlic, pan fry (brown) and bake to finish. Or a bake a small bird (like a game hen) in the same way. Source: lived in russia at the height of the "evil empire" in the 80s, Ufa, Moscow, Omsk.

> you'll never have a Russian qt make the foods of her homeland for you

Oh, and Russians of a certain age will know what I'm saying here: no TP, rabbits always came with their paws on so you knew they weren't cats, and if you were at the end of the line for sausage at the market, you were out of luck, pizda babushka up front fucked you.

> rabbits always came with their paws on so you knew they weren't cats

Geez

I read about this a few years ago. Apparently it is notoriously difficult to tell apart a rabbit carcass from a cat carcass once the head, feet, and tail have been removed. There was even a French proverb about this.

Couldn't you tell from the front teeth?

If the head was attached, sure. But it wasn't.

>24 years old

Whoa, whole six years before she turns into babushka.

What about céklaleves? Literally 'beetroot soup,' I've posted it here before. It's unlike borscht in a few ways:
• borscht has a more complex base of carrot, parsnips, onions and beetroot while regular céklaleves has onion beetroot and onion (though céklaleves zöldséggel has all those as well as green cabbage or sauerkraut)
• borscht is nearly always thickened and adding dairy is common while céklaleves is never thickened and adding dairy is uncommon
• borscht is made with meat/bone stock while céklaleves is always vegetarian, made with either mushroom stock (or vegetable stock if making céklaleves zöldséggel)
• céklaleves is nearly always served with pickled eggs and while I'm not saying borscht isn't, I've never seen it served that way

Pic related: it's the one I made and posted here a while back.

This thread inspired me to try making this for the first time

What a fuckload of work I've been chopping/shredding onion potato cabbage carrot beets and garlic and pork for an hour, I hope it turns out when it's done boiling.

Looks gross, but I'm sure was delicious. Get a better camera.

Done

It tastes good but I'm not sure what to expect because I don't have an eastern european grandma to make the authentic stuff for me for comparison

I probably should have used a wider bowl for presentation, oh well

looks amazing

Try this.

:(

It's a pretty good camera, just I'm shit at photograph-taking. Here's a picture of the shredded beetroot and onion being sautéed to make the base, though.

There, perfect

It's a bit more red than the neon pink pictures I see, maybe my beet:tomato ratio needs adjusting

You need better lighting.

>need better lighting
Yeah? Didn't think it would be that simple.

Recipe for that pic, its simple, and theres nothing better to eat on a hot summer day.

Eggs
Beetroot
Sausage (could be meat if really wanted)
Kefir (fermented milk)
Cucumber
1 tablespoon mustard
Boiled potato
Various greens (dill, green onion)

Just mix everything together how you want it.
It will still be good.

Photographing is all about light.

>sausage
>boiled potato

Just no.

Everything else is right.

This is seriously pretty good though it's got an earthy, complex vegetable sort of flavor with sour cream and pork sausage adding a bit of variety.

It was dirt cheap to make too, I have a stock of potatoes and onion and garlic and carrot already so I basically just paid 8 bucks for the extra stuff to make a family size pot of borscht. I've never ever had it before and it's definitely a recipe that I'm going to repeat and refine

The traditional version includes both, but I prefer it without potato

>girlfriend is studying in russian university
>she and a few other students didn't have time to take the exam during the lesson (they're one-on-one with the professor and he ran out of time)
>she has to specially go to university during a saturday at 9 a.m. to take the exam
>I go with her for a laugh
>we arrive at 8:50, professor arrives shortly after
>to get into the building, you have to show your card to some fat old babushka who then lets you through
>for some reason the professor was waiting outside
>the babushka wasn't letting him through
>hear the professor arguing angrily with someone over the phone, swearing and all, and saying he was with his students right now
>he goes off for 3 smoke breaks in about 30 minutes, asks everyone he sees if he can borrow a lighter
>we stand there waiting for about an hour for him to get through
>he starts arguing with the babushka
>turns out his card expired 7 years ago
>we wait another 30 minutes
>he gives up on trying to get through
>girlfriend has to take the exam outside, she and the professor go off to some quiet area
>he looks at her drawing, asks her a few questions then gives her 90%
>he only gave her such a high mark so she wouldn't report him
>next day girlfriend gets a weird call from the university's director asking if she had ever been taught by him
That's pretty much the state of a typical Russian polytechnic-turned-university

Russians are lazy and their pre-XIXc cuisine is as good as lost.

Students here call McDonalds McDuck for short.

Nope nope nope nope
Worst restaurant experience of my life desu. Mu mu is a million times better. Teremok does have pretty good mead though

don't listen to this retard, this chain is the best example of russian cuisine made into a fast food. Moo-Moo is a place to go if you want to feel yourself like a hobo and crave some of that juicy E. Coli.

shit, messed up here, didn't go to sleep for the whole night

>he thinks people drinking pepto straight from the bottle is some new "hip" American marketing

nevermind that even the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip made references to that in the early 90s... just because you've never seen something before doesn't mean it's a new meme

wtf is this shit? I am from Russia and this is not borsh at all. Actually there is no such thing like "summer borsh". We have a cold summer soup and it is called "Okroshka".

Here is a right recipe of borsh
natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/

Anyone got a good pelmeni recipe? Never seems to turn out quite right with me

>no other slavic or slavic influenced countries exist except russia
What's the weather like in 1989, where you're obviously posting from?

Slavic, eastern euro cuisine is pretty good, its just that because of USSR it did not evolve to something fine as french or italian lets say. You literally cannot find a single fine dining slavic restaurant that is not in Moscow or any other larger russian city. But they actually DO have some god damn tasty foods.

Girolles are god tier.

Which parallel dimension are you from where Russian Tea Room never existed?

youtube.com/watch?v=YO7AdLsUSec

Do this literally step-by-step and you'll have godlike pelmeni

The Russian Tea Room is "fine dining" like the 21 Club is "fine dining", in that it's not

Expensive != Fine Dining

>Fine dining restaurants are full service restaurants with specific dedicated meal courses.
RTR: tick.
21: tick.
>Décor of such restaurants features higher-quality materials, with an eye towards the "atmosphere" desired by the restaurateur.
>The wait staff is usually highly trained and often wears more formal attire.
>Fine dining restaurants are almost always small businesses and are generally either single-location operations or have just a few locations.
>Food portions are visually appealing.
>Fine dining restaurants have certain rules of dining which visitors are generally expected to follow, often including a dress code.

So how are either of them not fine dining, user?

>Food portions are visually appealing.
>RTR: tick.
I gather you've never seen the plating at actual fine dining restaurants, because RTR definitely does not qualify.

Is that really from RTR?
>reverse image search
Oh dear. It is.
I've never seen anything like that served. Here's something more typical for the place.

On that same page you got that pic from, I found examples of better-looking food. Although, one of them, the plate is chipped. It's the damnedest thing. Must have been an off day.

>never had fine dining
Did all the time growing up because family was 'oh you fancy, huh,' but rarely do as an adult although, oddly enough, I went out just last week.
Before then, the last time was in February.

It's not a common part of my life, but nor am I a stranger to fine dining.

Yes, some items are plated nicer than others there (as with 21 Club)

Point is, this wouldn't fly at a fine dining joint because it's not fine dining. It's an expensive restaurant. There is a great deal of overlap but they are not the same

>cold Borscht
Protip: baby beets
Homemade stock, or low sodium. You adjust for salt yourself, but nothing is worse than an oversalted cold soup, filled with cheap stock with overpowering carrot/onion/celery/parsley than actual chicken flavor.

What separates the two, then? Because is the only guideline given thus far.

Also, let's say, hypothetically, someone opens a fine dining restaurant serving South Asian cuisine.
Of course, there's no way this restaurant would go the authentic route and have diners shoving their mitts into a bowl of phall, but how would a fine dining restaurant serve curries without them looking of formless mush?

Being that I'm wholly unfamiliar with Georgian cuisine, I've no idea whether chakhokhbili is meant to look like that pic you posted or not, but if it is meant to look like that, how might it be plated to make it presentable? Moulding the rice, sure, but what else? Chakhokhbili looks as though it's meant to be a stew, so the meat can't be plated nicely and the gravy drizzled neatly.

I'm not arguing with your guidelines. I'm saying RTR doesn't meet the guideline. Because it's an expensive Russian-themed comfort food joint.
>how would a fine dining restaurant serve curries without them looking of formless mush?
With some difficulty. Start with fussy plating and random food architecture. Add a stuffy sommelier offering a selection of 50 different rieslings and gewurztraminers, add a michelin judge desperate to add some token "nonwhite" places to the guide, and bam, you've got officially designated fine dining.

But when you try to shoehorn a non-european dining culture into the habits and customs of european fine dining, it's not always a clean translation.

Also, as far as the rice goes, this is completely avoidable. Rice can be made aesthetically pleasing even outside of a fine dining context, if Malaysian joints selling $10 lunch specials can manage it, then surely the Russian Tea Room can figure it out

But, again, that's not what the place is. It's comfort food. Expensive doesn't mean fine dining.

Wow that's gorgeous and tasty looking. Could only imagine the time it took to make that if done by hand.

Thank. You.

>Marketing executives invented drinking things directly from the bottle

my wall has a huge crack on it and the shower died

Ill post a classic polish recipe since one guy tried it and it looked fucked up.
>make a cheap beefbroth with legmeat and 3 balls of allspice
>cook like 10 red beets til done but not mushy (so you can use for a delicious salad)
>mix both broths after running through strainer
>season with salt pepper and apple vinegar (add frozen or homemade dumplings of any kind, a dollop of sourcreme and minced garlic

Is frying these a sin?