Sup Veeky Forums, Math major (Applied Math/Statistics concentration) here

Sup Veeky Forums, Math major (Applied Math/Statistics concentration) here.

Why is Pure Math so glorified here? It's honestly the least marketable thing you can do with mathematics amongst all the majors that require a decent amount of mathematics.

I get that it's interesting (I take interest in it as well). However, the only thing people do with it is teach retarded engineering majors at shitty universities how to take derivatives.

So why are you majoring in (pure) math, and what do you plan to do with it after you graduate?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(0)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't that an american only thing? My degree's title is only 'Mathematics'.

How can you even specialize in applied or pure in fucking undergrad?

I think it is a bit dumb.

Because you should study what interests you, not just to get a job.

>the only thing people do with it is teach dick sucking engineering majors how to take derivatives.
Is that an 'murican thing? Sure, most of those people in europoor teach aswell, but their main focus is on their own studies.

you can always become a teacher lol

>marketable
You're looking for

Yeah but then you get shitty professors that are good at doing research and/or good at doing math, but can't teach. I've had professors that are fucking geniuses, but shouldn't be teaching.

They don't have the personality, the patience, and they just don't care enough.

To say that it's problematic is an understatement.

sin(0) = 0

The good "applied" maths comes towards the end of your degree once you've had the "pure" maths to back it up.
But really, it's difficult to make a division between "applied" and "pure".
Consider ODEs, is it really "applied" when you have need to use "pure" analysis and linear algebra in there?

In our university has a core requirement for all math majors that looks something along the lines of this:
-All three cal classes
-linear alg.
-diff eq
-modern geometry I
-modern/abstract algebra I
-real analysis I
-intro to proofs
-probability and stats

In applied math you take classes like

-integral transforms
-boundary value problems
-probability and statistics
-partial Differential Equations (BVP'S)

(Mostly computational)
in pure math you take classes such as:

-topology
-modern geometry II
-abstract/modern algebra II
-real/complex analysis II/I
-advanced linear algebra

(Proof based)

>-topology
>-advanced linear algebra

If DE is core, then why are these not compulsory?

>-probability and statistics
>-partial Differential Equations (BVP'S)

Here we take those two.

>-topology
>-modern geometry II
>-real/complex analysis II/I

and these 3.

Plus stuff like financial mathematics, graph theory, simulations, that really broaden the scope of what you can do after the degree.

It is literally just math, any math, all the math.

I think this way is better but I suppose there is nothing wrong with doing the 'specialized' way.

Just to clear, the only other degree offered by the department is 'Teaching in mathematics' which is math for people who only care about being teachers.

>Just to clear, the only other degree offered by the department is 'Teaching in mathematics' which is math for people who only care about being teachers.
What maths does this NOT include from the normal maths degree?

After looking it up.

-number theory
-topology
-analysis
-set theory
-numerical analysis
-complex analysis
-Algebra
-Differential Geometry

But to fill it up

+Chemistry
+Biology
+Trigonometry (an entire semester of trig... wut?)
+fuckton of physics stuff
+Fuckton of 'education' classes, sounds like psychology stuff
+Technological communication
+Physical education
+Mental Hygiene

Damn, it is bad. Just to give you an image of how bad it is, they take Calculus I in the fourth semester.

Plus, they don't even have an eighth semester, they just have to do a professional practice and turn in a graduate project. I guess that counts as doing stuff but they literally do 0 classes.

From what I have seen, very few people get into this, but the people who barely pass the semester of the 'Mathematics' degree always transfer to this alternative one that is just a billion times easier.

I don't want to believe that university contributes to bad highschool maths teachers... with those missed topics, how are teachers supposed to inspire the younger generation when what they've studied hasn't even inspired them?
God that's depressing.

The proof says that that's what it is dude.

Can YOU prove it?

make sure to take the following if you want a job
- numerical analysis
- linear programming

That picture [math]really[/math] triggers me.

>why is it glorified

Because most people who talk about it haven't taken a step down that path.

>why are you majoring

I did Pure Maths until the last year, then dropped out to do something applied, which I then got a job with.

Pure Maths is intentionally designed on the top levels to burn people out because the numbers need to be culled for graduate positions or potential faculty.

If you make it at that level, good for you. There will be no celebration or young 6 figure lifestyle, though. You'll regret not going to industry though and you will suffer long term when you are trying to sell yourself to get grants.

This isn't sour grapes either. There are people who love this field and clearly money isn't an issue. Pure Maths truly is the Philosophy of Mathematics and just like Philosophy, if you do it you can expect to be paid shit all and to be hanging around the Universities forever looking for grants or work to do.

>do this if you want a job

Get top marks in your course and get internships within the faculty which inevitably lead to work outside.

Employers read so many CVs they couldn't care about your subjects unless you have work experience, scholarships or other shit to go along with it.

Hmm. I'm about to graduate as a math major. However, my university has an extremely fucked up way of categorizing classes (everything is called "calculus" for some reason, and it's an ivy league school too);

Requirements:
Calc. 1 - Differentiation (take in high school)
Calc. 2 - Integral Calc (again, high school)
Calc. 3 - Multivariable (took "honors" version which went through differential forms and was all proofs, etc.)
Calc. 4 - ODE (again, took "honors" version which covered more linear algebra than ODEs at all but was all proof-based)
Calc. 5 - Partial Differential Equations

Abstract Algebra - 2 Semesters

Calc. 6 and 7 (2 Semesters. Yes, seriously. This is just real analysis and our textbook is Rudin but for some reason they insist on calling it "Advanced Calculus". However, I took the graduate version instead, which was just called "Analysis" so my transcript won't look like that)

Complex Analysis

Electives (In my case I took topology, number theory, probability, game theory, that sort of fun but interesting stuff)

Linear Algebra has its own course but no math majors take it because we're assumed to already know it, and if we don't it gets touched upon in Abstract Algebra anyway. Likewise, there are "intro to proofs" seminars and things you can take if you want, but I don't know any math majors that actually take them. All our classes are just proofs (some, like the PDE course, have 2 options, one proof based and one not so you can choose) unless you take the babby calc. classes which I said above should have been taken in high school.

Hope this sheds some light!!!

None of you have problems from not having the (recommended) prerequisites?

My math advisor offered to let me take modern algebra without intro to math proof, but I'm very reluctant.

Give the cat some fucking food, you fucking asshole.

>However, the only thing people do with it is teach retarded engineering majors at shitty universities how to take derivatives.
Where do you morons come up with this stuff? Does it pop into your head and sound smart to you?

Division by x cannot be done if x = 0, but x is simply connected, so this does not happen. Moreover, in going from cot(x) = -1x to cot = -1, you use that cot() = cot, which is a theorem in bourbaki somewhere (algebras are fully associative if and only if (ab)c = a(bc), and there is a unit element, there's a note by Poonen explaining this).

Here we have to go up to Calc 14. I can't explain the content because it can't be said in mortal tongues.

wtf? sin(0) is equal to 0, not 1

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(0)

taylor expand [math]\sin(x)[/math] around [math]x=0[/math]
[math]\displaystyle \sin(x)\approx x|_{x\rightarrow0}[/math]
[math]\displaystyle \frac{\sin(x)}{x}|_{x\rightarrow0}\approx \frac{x}{x}=1[/math]

Simple :)

>Complex Analysis

Taking this next year. Wouldn't this be useful applied mathematics?

How the fuck can you not?
I took grad-level number theory, grad-level number sets, grad-level abstract algebra, grad-level topology, and grad-level analysis among other things.

Even at the undergrad level, these would constitute a pure math degree.

If you're not capable of gleaning information from shitty professors, and self-study then guess what? You're a fucking lazy prick and deserve to be applied math.

Yes. Of course it's applied because you apply it to solve flux problems. It was invented to solve flux problems.
Shit like abstract algebra, on the other hand, was literally not invented for any purpose other than creating a layer of abstraction to separate numbers from math. That is nowhere near applied.

>Pure Maths is intentionally designed on the top levels to burn people out
Translation: you're a lazy prick who can't hack it.

Fuck off with your conspiracy bullshit about curbing graduation numbers. You're just a lazy retard.

Yes, complex analysis and group theory are very useful in physics for things like analyzing lattice structure and analyzing/computing transforms.

Pure math alone may be unmarketable, but combine it with something useful and you can use it to make yourself look better than the "applied" plebs who can't do shit but regurgitate what they've seen. Bachelor's and Master's in Pure math with a focus on statistics/ machine learning.. Just graduating next week and I already landed a 6-figure job with a major insurance company doing RND. I may finish a PhD if I can find a way to convince the company to fund me so I don't have to go back to shit-tier sub-minimum wage grad-student living.

Kek.

I completely stopped going to a class last semester, and relied solely on self study because the professor was so dog shit.

I love how you rip on the applied math major and then say the only way for a pure math degree to be marketable is using part of the applied math curriculum.

Applied math is what we called watered down version of the major.

>least marketable thing

Degrees are not job training.

>Hur dur knowledge is pointless but I'm still going to uni for reasons

not unless you need a 2-yr for Dental Hygienist or some shit

Why not just skip the 10k a year and study on your own then?
I mean you're not getting a degree to be qualified for anything anyway.