Bread is the most basic food we eat. It's been around since man has harvested grain and there are many types

Bread is the most basic food we eat. It's been around since man has harvested grain and there are many types.

What's your favorite? Pumpernickel a cute.

>current year
>eating bread
did you know that many bread products have a brown-coloring agent mixed in so that they look "healthier"? (not to forget the useless sprinkles of seeds and corn husks to make it look like it wasnt made from white flour and is basically toastbrot-tier health-food, ie not healthy at all)

-∞/10

>many bread products have a brown-coloring agent mixed in so that they look "healthier"?

Some of us don't live in burgerstan and actually have decent baked goods.

That's not a pumpernickel.

THAT is a pumpernickel.

challah is unequivocally the best, bagettes and some german Landbrot are solid runners up tho

this. Americans have no idea how important bread is in other countries

That's actually more rampant in the UK and Ireland than in the US.

>nickel
Is that what you kids are calling it these days? Cool. I can be "down" with the current lingo.

So tell me, lads: would you pump Nadiya Hussein's nickel? I'd pumpernickel. I'd pumpernickel so hard.

>current year
>not baking your own bread

Nah you wouldn't do shit. You're not strong enough for real pumpernickel.

pumpernickel sounds like a gay little nigger dressed in orange

Potato bread is my favorite all-purpose bread, sourdough for stuff like garlic bread and a lot of sandwiches. Pita is also pretty great.

>they flipped the slice over instead of just laying it down like it fell over after being cut off the loaf

With short, almost buzzcut, bleached hair?

bread makes you fat, I haven't eaten it more than 4 days per month in almost a year

In what sense is bread the most basic food we eat? It has both complex flavors and an involved creation process. There is also a wide variety of types of bread.

bread doesn't make you fat, caloric surplus makes you fat

He is probably refering to flat, unleavened bread.
As in, some kind of flour, water, and heat.

true but it's a whole hell of a lot harder to fill up on bread, I can eat 5 plates of pancakes but one steak is about good.

not to mention that almost every product considered "bread" is full of sugar

bread leads to overeating and makes you fat

>I overeat bread and carbs so you'll overeat too

Not everyone's a glutton user

>pancakes
>bread

pancakes have lots of added sugar and fat. Plain whole wheat bread will not make you fat.

who eats plain whole wheat bread with no butter or spreads?

nobody

eh, tons of people have the same problem

Sourdough, do americans even have decent sourdough available in mainstream stores?

I eat it without butter and eat it with cheese.

>eating gluten

>cheese
exploding with calories and not filling whatsoever

Crisp bread.

>who eats plain whole wheat bread with no butter or spreads?
>nobody

I eat bread with soup, beans, chili, stuff like that. I never put butter, jam, cheese, peanut butter, etc. on bread. These kinds of toppings are what cause obesity.

>See animals eating weath
>Attempt to eat weath
Oh no weath hard, weath hard hurts mouth
>Attempt to roast it
>Still hard as fuck
>Beat the shit out of it with a rock
>It turns into dust
>Attempt to eat dust
Oh no white dust dry
>Go to drink water
>Throw evil white dust into it
>Turns into paste
>Bring paste into camp
>Enjoy paste for dinner
Oh noo evil paste made me shit liquid poo
>Evil weath will never hurt me again
>Throw it into fire wich is the strongest weapon I know as vengeance
>AWeakened by delicious smell
>Evil paste turns into bread
>Recluntantly bite into it
Oh noo evil bread is way too hot inside it burns mouth

Objectively this

why did early humans have lisps?

Because they fucked their mouths by biting hard shit and attempting to eat fire

>I never put butter, jam, cheese, peanut butter, etc. on bread. These kinds of toppings are what cause obesity.
Toppings do not cause obesity, caloric surplus does.

wtf, bread was invented in Egypt meaning the first people to create bread were aliens not primitive humans.

I usually eat my homemade whole wheat sourdough. Sometimes I add other stuff to it, like other grains, or flax. I eat it less than weekly because I don't like bread as much as other stuff.

>Cheese
>Not filling

What shitty cheese product are you eating? Real cheese is filling as fuck.

I still think that is less basic than most vegetables.

I really can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not. Seems a lot less basic than

>See plant
>Eat plant

I eat 4 eggs over 2 piece of sourdough almost every day.

I love sourdough.

Any animal can eat fruits and vegetables, only humans make bread.

It is like looking at a mudhut and saying "It would be more basic to sleep on the floor"

But i suppose i get your point

its the most basic complicated thing
basically easier than anything else with 2 ingridients

humans learn by seeing what others do, this is extremely rare. We most likely figured what to eat by watching another animal eat something, killing it, stealing the food and then eating the dead animal too

Lately I've been buying whole wheat bread from Aldi.

Sometimes I'll buy honey wheat when I want to make PB&Js. Its also good for making meatballs.

just more evidence to support the alien theory, then

sourdough forever

Bread confirmed for Goa'uld mechanism of social control

sourdough is incredibly common in the states. Even when I lived in the midwest every grocery store had a sourdough of some kind

>pumpernickel
Guinness in solid form. I love it.

>Even when I lived in the midwest every grocery store had a sourdough of some kind
that kind was rarely a sourdough or by the midwest you mean chicago

If it's white, firm outside and soft inside, ima eat.

My mom always just called them "Portuguese buns" I don't know if that's what they're actually called. The texture is so great, soft but springy and has a bit of crust on the outside with just the right amount of give.

Made this shit the other day. Fuckin staff of life, my man

There's a great deal of difference among sourdoughs, though. Most mass production sourdoughs just have a little vinegar added to make them sour. They don't actually use a proper starter.

Gotta shop around for the good stuff. I hate most "sourdoughs", but like a good one.

this is mine from the other day, new one fermenting right now.

I've been into ciabatta rolls recently. They toast up so fucking good. A little extra virgin olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar, some prosciutto, some mozzarella, some tomato, a little fresh basil? Oh mama.

As for standard bread I have a soft spot for potato as well as Pepperidge Farm Rye and Pumpernickel Swirl.

Basic white French. The candy of breads.

every one loves a good anadama and they probably don't even know it.
I don't have a real structured memory of the first or even any time I've had the proper version, but I can taste and smell and feel it like it was yesterday.
almost makes me believe in genetic memory.

Crust on that looks excellent, almost flaky, and the crumb seems pleasantly soft, though obviously it's hard to tell from a picture

Ugh fuck, I saw that too

Rice is a better

Enjoy your arsenic nigguh

I've recently gotten into cooking and I'm thinking of trying to bake my own bread? Any pro tips and maybe a good recipe for my first try?

How necessary is bread as we know it in the diet? It seems like a general indulgence for the most part...regardless of type, it does taste great, but so do cookies...

I mean, could you skip the bread entirely and just eat a sweet potato instead? If we're talking nutrition (harvesting grain for subsistence and all that), regionally speaking--there's probably a vegetable that is far more nutritionally dense than bread.

The other day I was making rigatoni for my old Italian dad. As I was pulling them out, I was thinking--this is basically like eating cardboard in terms of nutrition. Nothing of value to digest, covered with slop that is also minimally nutritious. Sure it might taste good..but that night I ate an avocado with some cooked spinach and grilled sweet potatoes...no bread, no wrap, no massive pasta base...I think I'm better off, is all I'm saying.

Pumpernickel

>The philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states that the word has an origin in the Germanic vernacular where pumpern was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel was a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g. "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. Hence, pumpernickel is described as the "devil's fart", a definition accepted by the Stopes International Language Database, the publisher Random House, and by some English language dictionaries, including the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

>The American Heritage Dictionary adds "so named from being hard to digest". A variant of this explanation is also given by the German etymological dictionary "Kluge" that says the word pumpernickel is older than its usage for the particular type of bread, and may have been used as a mocking name for a person of unrefined manners ("farting nick") first. The change of meaning may have been caused by its use as a mocking expression for the (in the eyes of outsiders) unrefined rye bread produced by the Westphalian population.

bread was first invented by BLACK egyptian KANGZ! evil white colonialists came to steal bread from the black pharaohs, and they also erased the true origin of this afrakan meal from history!

Grains are the densest calorie/weight.
There is absolutely nothing (other than fat) that has as many calories in as little weight as wheat, rice, rye, etc.

The only thing blacks invented was efficient cotton picking.

Also, where do you think the term, "white bread" came from?

FFFFFFFFuckin hell, dudes. Why does bread have to be so FUCKIN top? Why do carbs have to be so GOOD.

>Why do carbs have to be so GOOD
Sugar.

Bread is nowhere near the most basic food. What about raw fruit?

This one actually came out pretty soft. Usually it's a little on the denser side (which I'm fine with because it's easier to slice).

Rice is way more basic than bread

You said what everyone was thinking.

humans have been eating meat long before they started harvesting grain. Plus the available evidence suggests we started harvesting grain for beer, not bread

Wonder has always been a personal favorite of mine.

rye bread is best bread, here in the UK I go to a Polish butcher to get Ukrainian rye bread made by a family bakery in Bradford or somewhere.

I like it when my bread can be used as a doorstop.

>only one person suggests vegetables

>someone even suggests meat

oh Veeky Forums

>he believes this

I work in one of the largest bread industries in europe, and I bake the bread myself, and yes it is coloring and seed/seed husks. Delude yourself if you want, but it is shitty, tasteless and unhealthy.

>working for big bread

Really crusty with airy inside. I like my bread borderline difficult to eat. I hate soft bread.

all modern vegetables are the result of an incredible amount of artificial breeding. Wild game or foraged vegetation shit is the most basic proto-food. Obviously foraged vegetation will almost always taste terrible so meat is the obvious choice

>difficult to eat
Why on Earth would that be appealing?

>meat is the obvious choice
If you have salt.

Because he is a dumbass trying to look tough on an anonymous image board

Fucking what?

The best kind of bread, both objectively and subjectively, is homemade.

For the same reason people enjoy eating something like dried beef?

I'm no tough guy but also not pussy enough to ever associate crusty bread with badassery.

>the only options are wonderbread and homemade
everyone laugh at the flyover
>b-but it saves me $2!
and poor too

You really have to look for a small independent bakery, some place that probably labels themselves "artisan" or some shit like that. Storebought bread ain't gonna cut it. You have to get it from someone who just makes bread.

>For the same reason
That isn't a reason, sport.

>Saving money means you're poor

Dude, flyover has massive fucking grocery stores with all sorts of kinds of bread.

I grew up there, you don't need to explain it to me
5,000 kinds of mediocre bread isn't helpful

So? I like what I like. Shoot me.

>wasting time means you're just like Gordon Ramsay

>sorts of kinds
uh...

They have literally the exact same kinds of bread as everywhere else in America

Nope

fresh from the oven, love me a good sourdough bread

it's a bit hole-ier than I would like, but still looks good!

still waiting on my poolish (and I'm cooking other things atm so I can't work it right now anyway)

i really like it holey, your poolish looks a tad brownish, what flowers you using?