Go to a nicer restaurant with the family last night that has happy hour specials on apps and drinks if you sit in the...

>go to a nicer restaurant with the family last night that has happy hour specials on apps and drinks if you sit in the bar area
>"$6 well cocktails"
>have a couple well martinis, couple other people order well martinis
>bill comes and martinis are $9
>"sorry, sir, that is the happy hour price, but martinis have an extra shot of liquor so we upcharge"

Who's in the wrong in this situation? The entire table was ordering off the happy hour menu, and everyone specified that well gin/vodka was fine, but the server never mentioned that the drinks would cost more than what was listed on the menu.

The bar is wrong. But you're a cuck so you probably paid the bill still and took your frustration out on our precious Veeky Forums bandwidth instead.

Faggot.

They actually changed it to $6 a piece and said "next time you know"... I don't usually complain about servers or tipping, I just thought it was a strange thing for an upscale place with usually really good service to do. It's not like they can really expect the general public to know how many pours go into every cocktail.

You better not have paid that OP. They totally made it out like you were paying $6 and they knew you intended to buy happy hour drinks. They didn't bother to mention what you were ordering wasn't part of the special. And $9 drinks are fucking insane anyway.

I have seen this before. They mixed basic mixed drinks like screwdrivers, rum n coke...where one shot is added to some mixer.
A martini is all alcohol, no mixers. It should be excluded, I guess. But, I would suggest you clarify things before you order next time. "If I order a martini, is it on the special?" and if they dunno, say, go ask and if it's isn't, come back, or else, just change the order to something that is (say you don't want to wait, and the place is busy).

>$9 drinks are fucking insane anyway

It's the kind of place where their normal cocktails are $11-13, which is actually pretty standard.

Upcharges should be mentioned on menu or in person before money is asked for. If you ask for $6 cocktails you should get them at that price.

Where's that, the fucking French Riviera?

See, if you could just order from a robot this wouldn't happen.

That's at a nicer restaurant literally anywhere.

That's pretty standard, it goes much higher at fancier establishments. I think our cocktails were around $20 each when my boss took us out for dinner.

Though I agree it is ridiculous.

flyover detected

lol

>It's not like they can really expect the general public to know how many pours go into every cocktail.
yeah, they can expect you to know what's in the drink you order. especially one of the most common drinks.

"What's in the drink you order" refers ARGUABLY to which spirits are used. It doesn't even define in which ratios they're used. And it sure as fuck doesn't refer to how much.

You're wrong.

What are you doing drinking martinis and complaining if you don't have a basic understanding of the drink?

>drinking well martinis
Fucking gross, I bet you wear a fedora and smoke e-cigs

>if you don't have a basic understanding of the drink

Why are you criticizing others if you have a basic lack of reading comprehension and also fail to realize that 90% of people that regularly go out to bars couldn't tell you what goes into their favorite drink, let alone the amounts?

The whole point of going to a nice restaurant with crazy happy hour deals is that they stock their well with mid-high end liquor.

>well liquor
>mid-high end liquor
These two things do not mean the same thing

I don't think you understand the concept of "well".

Maybe you can explain it to me then. So we can all laugh. Oops did I say that out loud?

You can look it up for yourself, dumbshit. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, but keep thinking everyone agrees with your crazy misinformed ideas and is laughing along with you.

So you went to a bar, had a shitty experience, and came to Veeky Forums where you're now being openly mocked by multiple people for your retarded ideas about bars.

But clearly you're an expert on bars and everyone else is the stupid one.

Surely that must be it :^)

>i'm not retarded, i was trolling all along!

Poor attempt at deflection by someone who doesn't want to be embarrassed any further, but still insists on hanging out in his thread to do damage control.

We're anonymous, you can slink away if you can't take the heat.

>upscale place
>6 dollar drinks
>well gin is fine

maybe its upscale, but mate, you sure as fuck arent

What's the issue exactly? A nice place shouldn't lower their standards of service just because it's happy hour in the bar area. That's really the only issue.

My place does this. Except it's two dollars. Out of the people who don't understand the extra up charge and inquire about it, I've only had two people make a big deal about it.

It's to be expected when you ask for something neat or up, you get more alcohol, so the restaurant is covering their losses.

The happy hour for us is ketel, and it's the only drink that's listed as a flat price, and get a lot more customers bitch when it's 9+2. So for the sake of saving a headache on my part, I don't put on the up charge.

>the happy hour for us is ketel

Did you mean to say well? Because that's what I'd call a mid-high range well vodka.

shit dude, even chain restaurants charge that much

We have a small partnership with them so that is our only happy hour spirit. We also have a option where a bartender makes something for you, and on select bottles and 3 drafts, and PN and PG.

It's nothing spectacular, more of an afterthought than anything. Our well shit is flat at $9, and that's stuff like montezuma and Barton's.

There's so many cocktails which are >50:50 they should really make clear it's only for select cocktails.

What's the point in embarrassing a customer with "haha you should have known, you pleb" just because he wasn't initiated into the drink ordering inner circle by the right people?

I've never heard a server use the term "well cocktail", so I can only assume that the OP misremembered or the server misspoke.

A determination of who's at fault depends on it, so this mystery will elude us for all time.

"$6 well cocktails" was written on the little happy hour menu they give you when you sit in the bar area. "Well drinks" are a thing - you not having encountered this phenomenon doesn't change that fact.

Are you actually retarded?

You've never heard of well cocktail? That's a pretty standard term when ordering drinks.

Not that user, but I'd wager most most people who order a rum and coke, gin and tonic, or a screwdriver can tell you exactly what the ingredients are without knowing how big the pour is, or even that there is less alcohol than in something like a martini. Why would you think that's common knowledge?

Cocktails are for limpwrist nu-males and women (same thing really), real men order beer.

>not food
>not cooking

Reported.

"Well drinks" sure, but never "well cocktails". There is a difference in practice if not in semantics, as the OP discovered.

Op, you're a fucking idiot. If you'd ever been to a bar and had a martini before then you'd know that they have more alcohol than just a shot with a mixer. Bars charge by the shot and the quality of the bottle.

Also, you're either a big fat gross piece of shit, or a liar, or you drove home plastered because nobody but raging alcoholics go out and drink multiple martinis. So, was it your birthday or you just weigh 300 lbs?

Also, you're a fucking pleb. what's that point of
1. Drinking a martini if you're not gonna get nice gin?
2. going to a nice restaurant if $3 is gonna break your my little pony wallet?
3.choking down shitty well shots in a cocktail glass and pretending you're enjoying it?

Didn't you find it suspicious that the bartender asked you what brand of vodka or gin you would like in your drink? That's because people who order shit like that know if they like grey goose or tanqaray or bombay or stoli.

>has never been in an upscale NYC bar where cocktails are $25+

>alcohol
>not food

But what if the majority of my daily caloric intake comes from vodka?

What bar is that? I regularly drink at what I would consider "upscale" NYC cocktail bars (raines, campbell apt, etc) and I've never seen a $25 cocktail, not even when they're playing with liquid nitrogen and "house-made" essences and infusions. I think the highest I've seen is 18.

i thought "well drinks" referred to drinks of 1 shot + fountain mixer

do soda guns shoot vermouth now?

Well just means they use the house/rail liquor, which is usually lower quality than the name brand stuff the display up on the shelf behind the bartender. It has nothing to do with the mixer; you could order a well whiskey neat, for example.

TGI Fridays

eeekjf f==√j
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyjoyy ukkukk M ALqhkqql kpkjghkucokhj

a cocktail is a cocktail not matter how many shots are in it. upcharging for a martini during a "$6 well cocktails" happy hour is criminal
>Bars charge by the shot and the quality of the bottle.
bars charge by the drink and determine the charge by the shot and the quality of the bottle. do you order a martini by asking for some gin and some vermouth in one glass?

Hey I'm back, it's a day later, you're still wrong.