Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums
I've recently been given some really nice Alaskan Salmon filets.
What are some good ways to cook these?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KiBoTo1aZYE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All I ever do with salmon is eat it grilled with dill butter. I guess that's not very inspiring, but everything else just doesn't seem as good.

Maybe bake it and put some hollandaise on that bitch idk.

Salt, pepper, sear it on a pan skin side down for like 4 mins on high heat then flip it. Comes out so good, tarragon and lemon optional

Gravlax half sugar half salt let for 12h and rince it you can add watever you like with the marinade. I put lemon and orange zestes + pepper and fenel

I like putting a miso, soy sauce, and mirin glaze on top and baking it.

Listen up OP, get yourself a nice, heavy duty cast iron skillet. Put it in the oven (or your grill if you have one that shuts nicely, though it helps to have a way of telling the temperature inside) and set it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it get nice and hot. When its been in there long enough to get hot take it out (with proper protection, obviously), put some butter in there, and then put your salmon in there when it melted, skinside down. Then put some more butter on top of it, followed by whatever herbs or spices you prefer. I'm a big fan of sage, thyme, or rosemary myself, but feel free to go nuts with it. Before you put it back in, make sure to get under it with a spatula and move it around a bit, just so it doesn't stick. Just let it cook and check it once in a while. Not too often, if you let the heat escape it'll never cook. Once the fat starts to cook out of it in little white globules on top of the salmon, it's done. Discard the herbs you put on top, the flavor is already out of them and in the fish.

That skin is gonna be crispy like a motherfucker. I found this way of doing it when my kitchen was being renovated and I had to rely on my grill to cook shit. Best salmon I've ever had, hands down.

This. Gordan Ramsey has a good video on making salmon this way.

>Putting lemon on anything

You people deserve to hang

>heat pan
>grease pan
>put salmon in pan skin side down
>pile on herbs
>cook until done
You don't flip the salmon?
I'm gonna try this with my SS pan in an open broiler. Am I setting myself up to fail?

every salmon thread has the same answer.

this recipe is unconquerable and cannot be beaten. salmon fillets are one of the few foods that have a "best" recipe, for preparing as a typical dinner protein at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=KiBoTo1aZYE

As long as you wait to broil until it's almost done cooking, that sounds fine.

Nope, flipping isn't required. Convection does it. Granted, I've never used a broiler before so this may or may not work like I described, but I suppose it's worth a try. The skin will start searing almost immediately so make sure to get a spatula under it before it fuses to the pan. You do that once and it shouldn't stick again.

So you mean cook in in pan on the stove like normal and then broil to Brown the top side without flipping?

Thanx for reply, but I think I'd rather just flip it in the pan.
I'm definitely try using butter instead of oil, tho, as you suggested above.

Many thanx! Everything makes much more sense now.

I just had brekky and already I'm looking forward to dinner!

10/10 thread.

You don't do anything on the stove. It's all in the oven. The top doesn't brown much but it does get noticeably darker. The real sign that it's cooked is when the fat starts to come out of it. It's very hard to miss.

If you want the top darker I suppose either putting it under the broiler or flipping it would do. But remember, the key here is the cast iron pan. Nothing else gets hot enough and stays hot enough to sear the skin the way you want it. So you're gonna be dealing with a really heavy, really hot pan.

And fuck yeah, butter beats oil here by a long shot. What doesn't burn ends up making a delicious and unhealthy sauce infused with the flavor of whatever herbs you use as well.

Thanx, man. I appreciate the advice.

>I do not like this useful and totally ubiquitous ingredient. I probably hate onions too.

Get lynched

10/10 faggot.
I bet you think everything in your life is swell right now...

it was until you showed up.

and now you know why you don't get invited to parties any more. kys.

>when the albumen starts coming out
Overcooked af senpai

>kys

Are you 12?

I can be but that costs extra.

Why can't you just let people be happy?

Not at all, it's deliciously moist and tender. I don't know much about salmon but cooking any piece for the recommended amount of time ends with that white stuff on the surface.

But hey, whatever works. If you wanna take it out earlier than that be my guest.

not him, but misery loves company, i think.

Sprinkle some kosher salt on it and put it in the fridge for a few days.

Delicious homemade lox.

Fuck off you sad man

Mix 1 cup of salt with 1/4 cup of sugar.
Portion salmon and cake with salt/sugar mixture.
Leave for 20 minutes to draw out moisture.
Rinse and pat dry.
Clarified butter in 375 degree pan.
Skin side down.
Butter top, pepper only.
Dill, shaved garlic.
Baste with pan butter.
Skin will release when done.

if you can track down yuzu, the juice is delicious with salmon and most fish.

Sour cream, lemon juice and dill sauce.

Or some sort of sweet-sour glaze of which the number is legion. I actually ate this last night. Spicy mustard, brown sugar, evoo, cayenne and garlic glaze, broiled. Sounds weird but tastes pretty good.

Tried rhis once when I got some good atlantic salmon.
>Be cooking it
>Mom comes in kitchen
>Says it looks cooked
>Pulls it off before I realize
>Shit's cold inside

Been more than a year and havent cooked salmon since.