Baking without Mixer

What can I make without significantly sacrificing quality without an electric mixer? Until I save enough for a lifting KitchenAid, I don't want to waste money on a handheld that will just take up space. Sweet or savoury snacks, bake or no-bake.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

everything? no mixer just means more time you spend holding a bowl and a balloon wisk or spatula. IMO spending $15 on a hand mixer is hardly a 'waste of money' considering how much time it can save you in the interim

I made a shitload of chocolate eclairs once without a mixer. All a mixer does is let you fire and forget something while you go do something else.

Whenever I make éclairs or cream puffs with a mixer they don't turn out.

git gud fag

>kitchen aid
What a meme

Get good double Hitler.

People cooked without one for centuries.

You can handle it big boy.

You don't use the wannabe-hobart and a handmixer for the same stuff.

Even with the wannabe hobart a handmixer is still handy for whipped cream and eggwhites. They are done too fast for the ability to walk away to be of much use and the handmixer gives you better control and allows you to use any old bowl.

A bowl and whisk works well for most recipes if you have the forearm strength

Muffins, they need almost no mixing.

On a similar note, I usually make muffins with butter but last time my mother made me switch to margerine because it's cheaper. Now all the fat collects at the bottom. Why?

the only thing i couldn't make was a european sponge cake, for which i wasn't able to whip the eggs enough. the recipe i used only had eggs as a leavener, so putting baking powder in would avoid that. everything else is a-ok OP

Smacked with reality.

What do you want a mixer for? Beating egg whites?

I bake a lot, mostly bread and muffins, but also pies, cake, pretzels, finger food, meat pies.

What you will need is a few bowls, a baking sheet, a rolling pin and maybe a mat, a whisk, a scraper, a few pie dishes and may I suggest silicone, maybe a baking stone and a dutch oven or clay dish with lid.

Most kitchen machines are just a way to make money. A good book will be way more helpful than a Thermomix.

Honestly you won't be able to make anything well that requires uniform mixing. Modern baking (post 1900s) didn't define itself until stand mixers were available. That's why most pictures of older cakes and breads look visibly uneven and lumpy.

>I have lerned from my lernings...

youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

I had this same problem when my mixer broke down and a women at work said you can just mix it up in a bowl and add in some elbow grease.

None of the stores in my shitty, flyover town sell elbow grease but hopefully you'll have better luck. Usually just stick to store baked cakes now.

I bake everything without a mixer. If my stupid ass can do it and have things come out fine so can you.

Talking about mixers.. Today I realized how stupid I was and found the reason for my pizza dough never really being that good. I never kneaded it enough, maybe like 2-3 minutes, now kneaded it for 8 minutes straight and got really good results with it.Now my question, can you "overknead" a dough? What happens if you do? Does generally every dough need a throurough kneading?

Elbow grease isn't used any more because it's considered unhealthy now. It can lead to mood swings, cold sweats, sore muscles, and a raised heart rate.

If you still use elbow grease in your kitchen you might want to visit one of the many sponsored cooking sites on the web and learn about how it can impact your health and your well being.

>can you "overknead" a dough
Most definitely. Also, congrats on your pizza dough.

>did people make bread before electricity?

The process is intended to form long chains of gluten which add flavor as well as structure.

Gluten forms in wet dough with time and agitation. It is broken up by slicing or poor kneading technique.

For best results use the flour's autolysis: mix flour and water thoroughly, knead some if you want, then leave it over night. By the next day the muddy batter should have turned into stringy clay. Don't knead this too much or you will diminish the structure, it's best to use a stretch-and-fold technique from now on.

Add leaven and other ingredients, let rise when using yeast for pizza, let rest in the fridge when using bicarbonate for cake.

Now any kneading you do will remove the bubbles you need for oven spring. So when shaping or rolling out the dough use as little force and agitation as possible - this is why pizza chefs throw the dough in the air and let centrifugal force stretch it out. If you roll it out with a pin it will stay pretty flat in the oven so let it rise some more after rolling if this is what you do.

For professional quality pizza dough you will also need to retard the dough. Store it in the fridge for 3-6 days. This ensures the yeast doesn't grow too much but disperses really well. It will also give the gluten more time to form.

Thanks for the ideas. I asked because I had tried making macarons and cakes with a hand whisk, but they never turn out no matter how much or how little I mixed the batter, from folding instead of mixing to upwards an hour of beating it to death.

No no no - you whisk the egg white to a stable foam and THEN fold it into a batter. You don't whisk the batter, in fact you move it as little as possible.

>What can I make without significantly sacrificing quality without an electric mixer?
Dawg how do you think they did it before 1930?

In the UK, erry British heart foundation furniture store I've been in has had at least 2 kenwood stand mixers.
And they'really like £30.

I got one cleaned it and painted it black. It's not as security as a kitchen aid, but it's cheap and works fine

Another pointless post brought to you from Bongland.

How do they taste?

Inferior quality for a bit of cost savings. If you're going to treat yourself to muffins you'd better just buy butter. Butter tastes better and is better for you in comparison.

You're pretty brave, imo. Really good macarons are supposed to be a bitch to make without special equipment.

Say that to my face and not online and see what comes about

Yeah, I already decided not to repeat that experiment, I'm just curious as to why the fat all went to the bottom. According to a quick google search, margerine "is just water and some fat", while butter is amazeballs, but that doesn't explain the bottom fat. Did it... trickle down? Sorry, if it's a dumb question, I'm just as curious as incompetent in baking chemisty.

Tough guy, eh?

I'll be in Glasgow from the 9th until the 11th of September.

I'll meet you anywhere within 10 minutes of the city centre and smash the last remaining teeth right out your pasty face.

I think because the hydrogenated oils denature more than butter. So the water and oil separate easier when heated. Since it separated, and the oil is heavy... Yeah, my guess is it just leaked out the bottom and pooled there.

The only thing that would get smashed is your boi pussy after I have my way with you.

Backing out already, son?

I see, thanks for clearing that up!

Anything and everything. Did you know that electric stand mixers used to not exist?