Gas vs Coal BBQ

My dad always had a gas bbq and it was extremely easy to use, so he used it all the time even for healthy everyday foods like chicken breasts, or fresh fish

But every time I tell people about it they just go "nah you need coal to get the right flavor".
But these are people who never bbq because coal is a massive pain in the ass so it's like a three-times a year event for them. My dad uses his gas bbq every other day.

I thought I'd ask the experts.
Which is better?

hank hill is a liar.

i CAN taste the heat. propane makes my food taste like gasoline.

"Taste the meat, not the heat."
No explanation needed.

If you BBQ on gas you might as well use your gas stove.

I have a quick coal burner. It is a metal tower, bottom half you shove paper in, top you load the coals. Let it burn and you have nice grey coals

The meat juices don't hit the gas flames though when you cook on a stove creating smoke.

I have both, but hardly ever use charcoal.

I'm afraid of gas ones and grew up with my dad using charcoal and/or wood, so I do the same by default.

Does anyone seriously think you can't tell the difference?

My dad's gas bbq has some stones that get really really hot (but can be removed and washed and don't wear out) that act sort of like charcoal

I don't know if all gas bbqs are like that, or if it makes a difference

I was a charcoal advocate for quite a while, but my dad recently bought an infrared propane grill and it works great. The charcoal grill is still useful for things with longer cook times like whole chickens or ribs, but for everyday foods the gas performs almost as well.

Charcoal is _always_ better, but it's a massive hassle. Not everyone can own a big green egg. If you make sure enough fat falls on "flavour diffusers" in a gas grill you'll get the charbroiling you want.

I know I'll be downvoted for this.... but...

This, charcoal apologists refuse to understand this.

Most gas folk admit that charcoal is a little bit better, say 10% in taste. Gas is 1000% better in convenience.

Most things taste better with charcoal. Brick oven pizza is absolutely the most significant. Piri piri chicken probably next, ribs are up there. Steak, not so much. You have to balance the equation with cost and convenience.

>healthy everyday foods like chicken breasts, or fresh fish

>animal products
>healthy

Pick 1

>convenience.

uh theres that word again.

convenience aka. im a fat fuck yank that dont want to be bothered to even chew my own food so i need everything to be a soft paste, and i need everything to be "EZ" and "fun", minimal hassle, i need shortcuts everywhere, because im a retarded and impaired fuck.

ez cheese is convenience food, is it any good?

Spotted the jealous Europoor

I second that
If you know your shit it's not that hard to cook with coal.
Gas is why amerigoons shart all the time

You understand that working from first principles is great because it's pure, but this is 2016, not 1850. Maybe stop being a stupid asshole when you're talking about 3 meals a day for your entire life.

Nobody gives a shit you're a pussy vegan

>It's literally the current year folks

Oh and it's not "coal" or charcoal brickets, It's charcoal made from baking hardwood. God, why am I even here. Burn down the fucking rainforest you generic internet zombie.

You're not in your teens, are you? It totally shows.

>charcoal cooked
>only 10% better tasting than gas cooked
Far above just 10%, user.
>gas is 1000% easier
Gas is easier, but charcoal isn't very difficult. If you just dump the briquettes out expecting them to self ignite like gas would, then you'll be at it a while, yeah. But if you actually look up technique, you can get a charcoal fire going in about five to ten minutes. Yes, gas fire is instantaneous, but thems the breaks.

>It's the current year
>Still not being of the current year

I don't BBQ as often as Amerigoons but when I have the need to I use wood and make coal.

Amerigoons/GasPeople(notjews) are just too lazy IMO

If you're unemployed, charcoal is easier every day. Every single NEET day.

When I was a kid my dad switched from gas to charcoal and our family was amazed at the flavor for about a week, then we got the hell over it. Dad got over it too when he realized that he had finite time before having to go to bed, wake up, and go back to work and so he settled for gas.

I use gas but keep a smoker on hand for special occasions. I have no need for coal.

You got it all locked down, bro. I'm sure you make 3 meals a day 7 days a week for 4 people.

Charcoal that shit up and look on the food with pride. You people are bystanders in life.

green egg master race reporting in. charcoal is better for flavor OP.

I only 'q on holidays and weekends. Using charcoal doesn't affect my working life one iota.

You're far too normal to belong here.

What effects you is your inability to see another point of view. You're an islamic extremist and you don't even know it.

you mean his dad's far too normal to belong here

That's not a good thing for me, user. I could use a little flare or spice of some kind.

Do I need to care about your personal situation ?
Nobody does BBQ each day or each week, maybe Amerigoons but everybody knows too much meat is bad.
Also i never really cook
M A D
A
D

well, I have a recipe for you then..

Piri piri Chicken

2 tbsp McCormicks piri piri blend
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (thyme or Italian blend may work)
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Salt
4 Garlic Cloves minced/finely chopped

optional:

Liquid piri piri hot sauce to taste (approx. 2tsp)

mix well

Use Jacques Pepin recipe for application instructions and cooking.

you just need to know that no one cares about you. You don't help anyone and your ideas are self absorbed and meaningless. Sorry man

You're like a ficticious asshole no one likes. Get it?

None of that makes sense.

Thanks, user. I"ll give it a shot.

to you.

I'm happy you guested it because i'm in bed bored to death and trying to have some giggles on the internet.
>tfw don't even know how to cook
I only browse pol g fa mu diy but thought it would be funny to bait here

It's moderately salty, hotish, but very spiced. Put the spice under the skin with your fingers, but the skin away from the meat.

i don't think it makes sense, either.

You're like a radio transmission no one is listening to. I love listening.

Can we kiss lips ?

I grew up in family that only used propane.

Long story short, I went to buy a new BBQ and on a whim bought a charcoal BBQ. I will never go back.

It is more fun to cook with charcoal, it tastes better, it's more versatile, etc. Charcoal isn't a pain in the ass at all for most foods - just fill a chimney with charcoal, light some newspaper, and come back in like 15-20 min.

The only time it has been a pain is when I'm cooking ribs or whatever on indirect heat or smoking. If the coals die down before you have another batch ready it can be annoying.

I was at my parents' cottage this year and BBQ'd on their propane setup. It sucks and takes all the fun out of BBQing, you might as well just use an oven.

I now understand the joke about Hank Hill being a propane man and thinking charcoal was inferior.

Think of how you deal with the expanse of north american people? The hunt for red october was a chore, but the hunt for people that weren't fucked up? How do you find those people?

I don't even know why I bothered dropping into a discussion involving charcoal and gas

Every single time, the charcoal fags sperg the fuck out and have a mental breakdown; even after it's admitted charcoal is objectively better by most the gas folk

FYI if you use charcoal. Make sure you also use fresh wood

Use lump charcoal or wood instead of briquettes and you don't have to prepare a batch of coals.