Trigonometry

Hello Veeky Forums. Math noob here that's starting trig next semester.Did anyone struggle with trigonometry? Do you still have the unit circle memorized after all the years since you were in it? Its very different than basic algebra(just got an A in college algebra). What are the best ways of mastering trigonometry? Tips, tricks, best text books etc? Thank you!

Other urls found in this thread:

betterexplained.com/articles/easy-trig-identities-with-eulers-formula/
betterexplained.com/articles/intuitive-trigonometry/
mathguy.us/Handbooks/TrigonometryHandbook.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm halfway through a trig class right now, in what's probably the worst format possible: online course with no homework. Instructor posts lecture notes every week, gives us a weekly six-to-ten-question quiz, then a midterm and a final. Pretty much like teaching yourself trig from a textbook.

So I may be having a harder time with it than is usual. I'd say so far the really challenging parts were the first two or three weeks, when you're still wrapping your head around the basic concepts. After that it starts to feel more comfortable.

But then, I haven't finished yet. Might be speaking too soon.

As far as tips, before the start of the term, make sure you really understand translating and inverting functions- that will probably come up on, like, week 2.

Also, don't just look at a picture of a unit circle when you need to reference one; draw your own. That will help you commit it to memory faster.

Last thing: Khan Academy is great for trig. I've been pretty much entirely relying on it.

Memorize the unit circle, there's a pattern to it that's easily remembered once you get the hang of it. There's obviously more to mastering it, but that's a good start.

betterexplained.com/articles/easy-trig-identities-with-eulers-formula/

As far as getting an intuitive understanding of the trig identities and how to derive them, this is the best video

betterexplained.com/articles/intuitive-trigonometry/

Same exact thing here. Pcc for me, wbu?

How is trigonometry even a subject? As I see it, everything you need to know about it is covered in the basic calculus/analysis classes.

[eqn]\frac{1}{2} = 0.5[/eqn]
[eqn]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \approx 0.866[/eqn]
[eqn]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \approx 0.707[/eqn]
As long as you know these three numbers you basically know anything that a basic trig class will ask of you.

>American education

They teach you trigo in college.... really man???

Anyone else?

There is a trick to memorizing the unit circle.

Just memorize the (x,y) then the other coordinates are simply versions of that.

best way to master trig? Simply practice problems until you are comfortable. Another good way is once you understand something try explaining to someone else.

Study well

*wink*
P.H.?

At my school, it's not its own class. It's part of a 100 level pre-calculus course intended for people who either dropped out of high school (like I did) or just need a refresher. Most students coming straight from high school test into something higher.

good book
also use this: mathguy.us/Handbooks/TrigonometryHandbook.pdf

This is easier...
[eqn]
\begin{aligned}
\sin \Theta &= \frac{\sqrt{0}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{1}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{4}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} , \cdots \\
\cos \Theta &= \frac{\sqrt{4}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{1}}{2} , \frac{\sqrt{0}}{2} , - \frac{\sqrt{4}}{2} , -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} , \cdots
\end{aligned}
[/eqn]

I've always been fond of the unit triangles

well... it indeed is pretty damn sad

high school freshman year stuff
you're bragging with this, really?

>cos = .... 0, -1

You messed up sempai