/cookware/

/cookware/
I understand for flatware 18/10 steel is king and oneida its queen, and I've been pleased with my set.

But what goes into a good set pots and pans? Durable, nice looking, and the handles don't come loose a few months after use.
I'm totally lost and would love input with any kind of opinion on the subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
edinformatics.com/math_science/science_of_cooking/why_food_sticks.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=gjsMV1MglA4
youtube.com/watch?v=U1f4ZfHkICo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thickness and construction and materials are all equally important
The handles are like the last 5%, they sort of matter but the right combination of the first three already limit your choices
So unless you've already honed in on say, Falk copper, and you get to choose between ACTUALLY identical pans that just have different handles, worry about the first three and get what fits within your budget
Also inb4
>sets
>muh restaurant supply workhorse aesthetic
>cast iron spergs
>I got used to working around the problems with muh cheap shit so you're a bad cook if you have nice things
>wok guy

>Thickness and construction and materials are all equally important
So what kind of metals, thickness, and construction am I looking for? I know next to nothing on the subject and you sound like you've got an established opinion on it, I'd love to hear more.

Here, read this. It's highly dated, not entirely correct, and some of the specific brand suggestions are dumb, but it's better than most of what you'll get here
forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
Look up centurylife for more current (although less comprehensive) product suggestions and tests

>forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
Thank you.

You need a thick base to distribute the heat, a ferrite billot to work on induction ranges, 18/10 stainless to really be stainless in all acid levels. You also need a host of non stick cookware as well.

All Clad, Le Creuset, and a thick based PTFE pan to cook scallops and whatnot.

>PTFE for scallops
nigga what kind of scallops are you cooking where they don't release properly on 18/10?

You can do it, but you need to be so careful with the initial temperature so the pores of the stainless don't close. Look, do what works, I just don't like tearing off my crust on scallops. Most chefs use that shit so they don't have to be temperature misers.

>so the pores of the stainless don't close
oh jesus. stop.

You know when metal is heated it expands and when its cooled it contracts, right? What happens when that microstructure contracts on food?

Have you looked into any of this at all?

edinformatics.com/math_science/science_of_cooking/why_food_sticks.htm
the operative term here is "leidenfrost effect" and it has fuck all to do with "pores"

please never post about cookware again

Yep, and when that 'effect' is overcome by temperature decay you lose a limb or your steak sticks to your pan, dumbass. Only matters until it stops working. Have you cooked food?

youtube.com/watch?v=gjsMV1MglA4

>when the Leidenfrost effect is no longer in effect, it's no longer in effect
Wow, what an observation! Just one thing: how do you know it's "pores" and not the ancestor spirits, or Jesus, or the pan's inner chakra?
>Have you cooked food?
Yes, and obviously with a lot more aptitude than you, considering I don't need to use a teflon pan to cook scallops without ripping the crust off

>Pots
Money is no object: All-Clad (any line)
On a budget: Cuisinart Multiclad Pro
Poverty tier: Tramontina

>Skillets
Stainless: see above
Non-stick: Calphalon Signature
Cast Iron: memes

>Pans
Pyrex or plain aluminum (not non-stick)

>Bakeware
CorningWare

You don't get it, do you? You're that armchair dipshit that hasn't actually witnessed anything, or tried anything. You're that internet guy who watches youtube.

Go watch a video of a guy who leaves his hand in nitrogen too long. Maybe you'll stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Sure, that must be it. Cooking a big, firm, homogenous piece of muscle without tearing it to shreds is definitely something nobody has ever done except you, using a teflon pan.

It's called temperature control, something obviously nobody taught you in any of the kitchens you've worked in

How sad

You really are this 18 year old that never had to cook for a family. You haven't cooked thousands of meals have you? WHY do you do this? It's not temperature control, it's the specific heat capacity of a certain cookware and how it fluctuates. How the fuck did you get through highschool not knowing the difference between heat and temperature. You slap a piece of meat on something that can sap 5000oules out of a system and the temperature schema collapses.

Absolutely stop typing. Or don't at this point. You're a fucking baby.

Look how mad this retard is getting.
You cook for a living and you can't even manage to sear a fucking scallop without tearing it to shreds.
Do you use a slap chop too? Or do you guys just bulk order pre-chopped onions?

what do you guys think about ceramic non stick pans?
better than teflon?

18/10 Stainless SHC is 530 J/kg.K, the ferrite billot is 800 Joules/kg/C. So go to work.

I made 10 scallops last weekend and people had a shitfit over them you child. Perfectly crusted. I doubt you have enough loan money to buy that.

I don't even have to lie to be right.

seems like the jury is still out

This is Veeky Forums in a nutshell. I shouldn't be here because I'm too old. I have to flee.

They're a tad stickier than PTFE, but better than everything else.

>You also need a host of non stick cookware as well

For what? That stuff should be made illegal.

No amount of damage control can take back what you've already admitted: successfully cooking one of the easiest meats in the world to cook on a stainless pan - easier than a hamburger - is beyond your capabilities.

You fucking morons are rife..

youtube.com/watch?v=U1f4ZfHkICo

Like talking to a zombie invasion.

Nonstick is very useful, don't get distracted by this ridiculous argument

You don't need it for stuff like scallops, breasts, steaks, and that sort of thing, unless you are a complete fuckup like user the Applebees cook

But it's great for delicate fish and eggs

Just don't overspend on nonstick, treat it as a consumable

look below you dull dull dull fuck.

>I learned to cook from reality TV
Just keeps getting better

Anyhoo, you go troll someone else, I'm off to finish making some boutique vodka. It was fun watching you flail from your bunker.

I don't know about other brands, but right now Calphalon's ceramic products don't match the performance of their high-end teflon skillets.

As graceful an exit as can be hoped for at this point, I suppose. Good luck with the struggles.

Kitchens use them for convenience, not quality or safety.

When cooking at home, I would never advise anyone to use anything which is likely to be harmful to their health, and this would include any pans coated with a 'non-stick' combination of carcinogenic chemicals.

So gonna struggle through this dram. You were fun. Another 15 years and you'll learn to be embarrassed.

What's wrong with cast iron?

Oh don't worry, I'm already embarrassed on your behalf

maintenance heavy

How is this so hard to ken? Keep your pan under 600 degrees and you won't breath that shit in. Sorry it's 620 °F. I can't handle this place. The smoke point of shitty EVO is 405.

>MUH TOXINS

You're trying to be. In reality you're like walking through human cobwebs.

>Keep your pan under 600 degrees and you won't breath that shit in

Alternatively, don't cook using materials which are harmful to your health.

Don't walk on the street, don't breath air it might be from china. Turn into john travola in bubble boy. Don't drink too much water either. I'm glad I'm waiting on shit. This is like arguing with hobos while waiting for the bus.

>he thinks any decent non-stick pan still uses a PFOA formulation

What's it like being stuck in the 20th century?

>This is like arguing with hobos while waiting for the bus

Yes, you are obviously living on a different plane to us mere mortals.

No, I'm genuinely cringing a bit at the idea of someone who is this bad at something he does for a living. I assume you wouldn't be much good at anything else though, so I'm happy for you as well. It's lucky that teflon pans exist so that the unemployable can have dignity.

I don't think I'm clever, I think you're profoundly stupid.

I don't cook for a living, I have a family that I cook for. The fuck dude?

brb, I have to raid the Talisker.

No-one has ever accused you of being clever.

>being so thoroughly booty blasted that you turned to drink

I just wanted to tell you Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I felt sorry for how confused you were and couldn't accept how fucked it was. Sorry, I'm still here for 21 degrees until my boiler starts to create product.

can we stop with the bitchfest, ladies

I'm killing time clubbing seals. But yeah.

The only person who is confused here is you

"Pores" is a myth up there with "seals in the juices" and "MSG causes migraines"

Drink up, and maybe in the morning you can revisit what you think about cooking with a fresh perspective

I killed Kennedy too, bro. You need some kinda ativan or something

Or you can keep digging. It makes no difference, the great thing about unfalsifiable claims. I'll continue to assert that the sticking is caused by the turtles that live inside the stove.

I was glad to be your friend for this period of time. Fair winds and following seas.

Its not god i hate being cast iron meme but in from the south so every household has one. Thing is if youre not sperging about seasoning, just make sure you deglaze it, wash it out, throw some oil on it and let it cook for a few min. Its a few more steps but not bad at all

>n-no really guys, it simple to clean. you just have to polish it with unicorn jizz and get it blessed by an archdeacon after every use

looks like you've got a new friend.

>an archdeacon
You need at least a presiding Bishop or the pores will literally eat your soul

Daily reminder that cookware achieved perfection in 1958.

Currently using shitty cuisine art pots and pans
Living in a small apartment but going to be buying a house soon so when I do I'll probably pick up a 10 piece Calphalan set someone recommended before

Seriously, I see the tags on cookware saying its not and wonder why they have to even mention it.