Cooking w kot

Sup Veeky Forums it's time for a cookalong thread featuring food, cats, alcohol, and whatever else you fuckers decide to contribute. Take a break from shitposting about fast food and talk shit about my cooking instead, or post your own stuff, I don't care.

This time of year is hatch chile season as well as corn season. I picked up both on sale basically for free. You guys know what that means, right?

It means you're going to show how to cook good shit with hatch chilies you faggot, hurry up and fire up the stove. I'll go masturbate in the meantime.

Joining them we have the following cast:
>One onion
>Some old taters that are still good
>A bit of shallot that's literally 4 months old
Seriously, how do shallots last so long?
>Cumin seeds
>Bay leaves
>Oregano
>One quart of homemade chicken stock
>Bacon fat from the ol mason jar
>Dried green serranos from last year's crop
>Can o' chi(l)potles in adobo
Not pictured are salt, pepper and heavy cream.

That's right, we're making corn and chile chowder.

Here in Florida it's still raining like a cunt thanks to the Harry Potter hurricane so I'm gonna roast the pepper under the broiler. I really don't know how hot these are so I'm just doing one this time. The corn goes in too after a good hard shucking.

In the meantime, chop up all yer veggies real good and drink some box Cabernet.

Also, toast cumin seeds in a hot dry pan. I'm using 1 teaspoon here. They burn easily so don't fuck it up, only takes about 30 seconds to get some color on em.

Into the poorly-lit spice grinder goes the following:
>The toasted cumin seeds
>1/2 teaspoon oregano
>1/2 a dried green serrano
>1 teaspoon of kosher salt
The salt helps break everything down, and I know I'll need at least that much because my stock is not salted.

For potatoes, know that the majority of sustenance comes from the skin. It's obviously your choice to shave them or not though, but I wouldn't recommend it.

(This is news to me btw)

where is kot

Go ahead and blitz those spices to create our seasoning mix. Meanwhile, keep turning over those ears of corn and the pepper and get some color on them.

I chose not to shave them for this very reason. I usually don't unless presentation is important.

Kot is impatiently waiting on the kitchen floor to see what happens and will appear shortly.

Looks good enuff to eat already heh heh

Wait for this shit to cool down a bit. Using a sharp knife, shave them kernels off the cob into a bigass pile. You can peel the pepper with your bare hands easily enough. Take out the 18 billion seeds and the pith in the middle, then dice it all up.

Kot would like to remind you all that he does not belong on the counter while cooking is happening, and that he is helping out more than enough by tripping me as I walk around the kitchen.

At this point we're gonna chop up a couple of those chilpotles en adobo and then get a pot on the burner.

nice kot

sorry too hear about rain thier and floodbut for farming good ,right? d nont all florida use rain for orange farm...

nice kot

i meant to ask if all the orange farm use rain a lot of is the soil damp ? forgie me i am pretty fuking drunk rn

nice kot

nice kot

Too much rain will essentially drown the plants as it can't get a decent nutrient/h2o ratio.

Time to get serious. Roughly one tablespoon of rendered bacon fat from the mason jar, then throw in the onions and start sauteeing. The pan is a bit crowded but they'll cook down. Finish your other prep if you're not caught up at this point; I waited until now to chop the potatoes so they wouldn't discolor.

Once onions soften up some, add shallot and cook for another minute.

Thx bro

I don't know much about orange farming. I know that my crops out back (mainly peppers, tomatoes and herbs) weathered the storm just fine, although my trinidad scorpion plant took a blow to one of its branches from a flying tree limb.

This was our first real hurricane hit in about 10 years so I was careful to secure the house and not take it lightly as a lot of people mistakenly did.

Kot has become rambunctious and wants belly rubs. When your kot is at this state it is safe to add the (mostly defrosted) chicken stock to the pot, along with the seasoning mix from the spice grinder, the chopped peppers, corn and potatoes, and a bay leaf.

Golly that's a lot of corn. Get this to a gentle simmer and cook for roughly 30 minutes. The potatoes will be nice and tender at this point, and the corn will still have a nice bite. In the meantime, go upstairs and argue on Veeky Forums about what a "well drink" is at a bar or something.

And through the magic of me taking most of these pictures ahead of time, it's done! Taste for seasonings and such. Keep in mind that cream will be added to this like any chowder. I thought it needed a little more "salt" and a bit of black pepper, but the heat from the peppers was right on the money so I was happy with that.

>tfw started both the thread asking about what to do with hatch chiles a couple days ago, and the thread yesterday that devolved into an argument over the definition of well drinks

Bought 3 more pounds of chiles this morning and planning on doing rellenos in the next day or two.

Protip: Soups like this keep much longer in the fridge if you do not add cream to them. Instead, add cream before serving after you've reheated the soup. Of course, you can add all the cream right now if it's all going to be eaten right away. I'd use half a pint (8 fl oz or 237mL) of heavy cream for this amount of soup. You could substitute half and half or milk, but you'd be an asshole if you did that. If I had full-fat sour cream or smetana I would definitely use that instead.

Rellenos are the fucking bomb. Another protip: if you whip the egg whites for the batter to soft peaks before using them, the coating will be phenomenal.

First taste is good, but with the cream added, it needs a finishing touch. Freshly squeezed lime juice should do the trick.

Goddamn thats fucking cute

I'll just leave this here

Now I just have to figure out a way for this to not look like diarrhea in a bowl. Chopped parsley or cilantro would help with that, and I would've added them if either of those had survived the hurricane. Just MSpaint some green on those last few pictures in your head. This shit was tasty as fuck.

You guys know you gotta have a drink to wash that down mirite?

Good quality thread, op. Very nice kot. Hurricane's gonna hit here tomorrow. I don't care though, I'm just drinking beer and eating pizza.

I'm not a big fan of this cachaça desu, I like Leblon best out of those I've tried. We're gonna make us a dragonfruit caipirinha either way though because nothing's better than rum (except whiskey) at the end of a long day of fucking off.

>no pepperoni
>no pineapple
>natty light

First, muddle roughly a third of a lime with a quarter of a dragonfruit in your chilled old fashioned glass. Add a teaspoon of brown sugar, or some raw sugar syrup or whatever you've got that's sweet. Honey is nice, too.

Thanks buddy, stay dry. This storm wasn't too bad although I did lose power for ~16 hours. Threw away a few perishables in the fridge just to be safe but everything in the freezer was fine.

That's Natty ICE, my friend. I got the pizza from my favorite joint, but late. They were getting ready to close up for the night but had one more slice ready to go. Plain, but absolutely worth it.

Did you give him belly rubs?

>whip the egg whites for the batter to soft peaks before using them

Will try this. Might make a cook along if I can find my camera (just moved abruptly and most things are still in boxes).

Dump in some huehuehue rum and a bunch of ice, give it a stir, grip and sip.

That's natty ice which technically has alcohol in it unlike natty light, which I'm pretty sure is just bong water and runoff from urinal cake manufacturing. So it's not THAT bad. He could be drinking Genesee Cream Ale or something.

nice kot!

If you find your camera do it. This is my first cook along in a long time and I forgot how fun it is to document your shit. I'm gonna do rellenos with some of these peppers if I can motivate myself to pull the deep fryer out of the closet. Anything I don't use in the next few days is gonna be dried and used at some point in the future for chili or the like. Chilies you dry yourself are so much better than what you can buy in a store that it's hilarious they even stock them.

Lot's of videos I've been watching have been saying they freeze pretty well after roasting.

Fuck yeah I did. He's in my lap right now which is kind of annoying because he's ~20lbs and takes up quite a bit of space.

I've heard that as well. My freezer is full of shit right now or I'd pick up like 20lbs of them.

I like drying certain peppers, mainly serranos and paprika varietals, because it enhances their flavor substantially and the way the flavor changes over time is interesting. I'm curious to see how these ones fare in the process. I learned a few years ago that scorpion peppers (of which I have a ton) don't really benefit at all from the drying process so I've been freezing them since then.

I made spaghetti carbonara for the first time lads.

magic powder

Some "end of summer" grilling. Being from socal it's pretty much summer all the time

It's rare to see a non smug kitchen kot

Hey OP. Just a suggestion I think that would change the complexion of the dish entirely. Its something I did for a soup I made. After I grilled the corn (broiler is totally a way to get it done, good thinking.) and cleaned the cobs, I then used the cobs themselves to make a simple corn stock. Just literally simmer the cobb and salt TT until you get just this nice, just super corn flavor. Obviously exchange the chicken stock for this.

Also, totally unintentionally you can make the dish vegan if you make that stock so there's that too.

Pic related, stock being made for a smoked pork in corn chowder that I made a couple weeks ago.

I guess ill post the progression.

Threw these into a pretty hot pot with some unsalted butter just to get some basic fat in there. Sprinkle of salt to get some of those juices out. Once I had a good layer of caramelization on the bottom of the pot I hit it with the corn stock.

So I skipped a couple steps in getting to this point.

I actually fucked up and put my corn into the pot and then immediately the pork. I had actually planned on using a stick blender and like half-blend the soup and then add the pork after that. However, it still ended up super nice.

Only seasonings were salt TT, pepper and then a modest amount of cayenne pepper to give it a nice kick in the back of the throat.

Plated with a sprinkle of paprika, parsley and then some scallions cut on the bias.

I think the bigger threat to the FL citrus economy is citrus canker. Our family had a decent amount of orange groves on the farm, but a few years ago it got to the point where it just made more sense to raze it all and grow hay instead

>tie stick to him and use as dust mop
>video
>post on Jew-tube

I've never thought of making a stock from the cobs, but that makes a lot of sense.

Looks good, I thought about blending mine a bit but I didn't bother this time around.

I have actually done this minus the stick on a few occasions. He enjoys being shimmied around on the floor.

Dinner and college football. Good weekend for Texans everywhere.

OP are you from KC or has kot spread to other corners of the web now?

Great thread. But growing up cooking hatch chilie your missing a key component. Pork. Slow cooked. Cook a pork roast slow and slow(smoker or crock pot). Cube it and put into your stew. Adds a hearty texture and makes it more of a meal

I made this yesterday evening. How do I make my cakes look good?

also, nice thread. lots of great pics

have my kot

It's not the prettiest but looks ok. Try using an appropriate pie dish. Keep the dough as cold as possible and don't overlap it around the edges. If you chill the whole thing before baking it will retain its shape better.

v. nice

I have only pic related, but it's too big for most of the stuff, since I'm baking just for myself. What do you mean by as cold as possible? Just the fridge, or throw it into the freezer for some time?

I understand that I should cool it after shaping it. I'll try to do that next time, untill now I was cooling the dough, then forming and baking it immediately. Thanks user.

vegies

M'aiq is bored of cooking now. Go bother somebody else.

resting now, after long caturday of work

Hello kot

lookin good boi

Didn't take pictures of the whole process, but here's the final result. This was just a little test to get the process down on unfamiliar equipment before I make a giant mess trying to cook dinner for other people.

Money shot.

I did heat up a little of the sauce I made a few days ago. Made a nice little breakfast, and came out better than expected consider how mangled they got when I peeled/seeded them.

Why did you cover it in wood pulp?

Anybody have any experience stuffing a bunch of these and freezing them IQF, so you can just pull out as many as you want, batter and fry them? Sounds like a pretty okay idea, and I don't see there being too big of a drop in quality taking place.

nice kot