Whats up Veeky Forums

Whats up Veeky Forums

So im considering a career in engineering and i'd like to hear from those of you that have some knowledge or experience in this regard...

One thing that confuses me a lot is whether or not a degree in lets say mechanical engineering would be ambiguous in terms of what the jobs you get would be like...

The majority of what i hear is is that mechanical engineering is when you work with computer software to design big machines... I know there's also another field in which you design the layout for ventilation/air ducts based on an architects blueprints...

This video was the biggest throw off so far
youtube.com/watch?v=ocqceS7KlzE

i just feel like its very misleading... what do you think?
And what's your opinion about engineering as a whole? I'm struggling to decide on what field of engineering to study

>mechanical engineering is when you work with computer software to design big machines
That's a small part of it, yes, but there's oodles of other stuff that goes on like controls, materials science, etc. It's a very intellectually demanding field.

Also that guy in the video is a literal hipster faggot. The best job description for what he does would be "product designer" which is basically the 3D equivalent of graphic design. Definitely not engineering.

>p.s.: Veeky Forums sci is full of freshman math and physics majors who like to meme about engineering in order to cover up their fears about being unemployed after graduation

Thanks for the reply! man the last time i tried to get career advice on here it was a shit show lol

I just feel super lost in terms of what i want to do with my life... engineering seems to come up a lot because I like math and science so people just tell me to consider it... idk....

my main concern is being at a desk all day and pretty much selling my soul for a paycheck... i mean i know work is work and its not meant to be your super fun passion type of shit but i just hope i can find some middle ground where i can make good money and be motivated by the fact that im somewhat interested by my work...

as far as engineering goes, do you think there would be fields in which i can work with my hands more often and still get good moneys?

Definitely shoot for either some sort of R&D position or maybe some sort of manufacturing engineering job. I'm the same way.

Mechanical engineering is probably the single broadest field out there, so there's extreme amounts of variety in the different types of jobs you can apply for. With the same degree you can get a job writing controls software, developing new energy sources, sending things into space. Basically pick whatever suits you most.

>my main concern is being at a desk all day and pretty much selling my soul for a paycheck

get used to it dumb ass. if you want to work with your hands, work for a tiny business or be a tradesman instead of a fucking engineer, one of the toughest degrees that has to do with fucking design and innovation, NOT fucking building shit. That's what the technicians do. That is literally their job. They assemble and maintain the shit that WE fucking design because designing and innovating is OUR job. holy shit.

the dumb asses that say they want to "work with my hands" I have no fucking idea why they're looking at engineering. the only time you ever work with your hands as an engineer is if the company is TINY or you're doing some shit at home in your garage, which is what most engineers do.

Don't look at your job for some sort of fulfillment. You're doing it for money. Get used to it. We live in a capitalist society where you either put the work in or you're a fucking excuse-making bum that's worth shit, but you're allowed to make the choice to which path you'll take.

engineering degrees are literally one step away from the most theoretical shit you could possibly go into, pure math/science degrees, and you want to work with your fucking hands? WHAT logic is that?

You'll be in meetings and signing paperwork at least 75% of your day as an engineer. Get fucking used to it. Someone has to deal with the real bullshit that everyone else is too much of a pussy for, and someone is us. Why do you think they drop as many people as possible in engineering majors? they're weeding out the pussies. it's the same with SEAL training.

Get fucking used to it or go be a technician.

Thanks

Yeah manufacturing seems to be the way to go if i wanna be hands on... I've also been considering electrical engineering

btw just a bit more info on where im at with my own shit, i started university in 2012/2013 and then took a year off after my first year, moved back home and now im doing community college... i've been getting good grades and finished up to calculus 2 and haven't taken any physics classes yet. I haven't really been taking school seriously and kinda just been taking random classes and switching up what i wanna do pretty frequently... not sure why any of that matters to mention lol but figure i might as well paint a better picture since im asking for advice

OP is under 18 years old or an idiot.

Thanks

yeah i want the money and desu working with my hands isn't my dream lmao i was just asking a question, considering im on here looking for advice idk why that would baffle you... in any case i appreciate your input, good to know... i mean it sounds like you know what you're talking about and you're an engineer yourself, so yeah you're pretty much the reason i came here lol

I'm ok with doing the actual work or whatever, i was just considering all the possibilities coz i figure no matter what job i end up doing ima more or less get tired of it and wanna be an hero sooner or later... so i guess it doesn't really matter in that case lol might as well nut up and go for it coz it'll make me bank and i know i can pull it off...

what type of engineer are you?

whats all this about?

maybe im a 22 year old non idiot retard autist, ever think of that you negrofage?

>wants to do it for the money
>types like a moron
You won't make it.

Fuck off you bullshitter. You don't make any sense. I don't even know why you're on Veeky Forums. You're some kid that will work at a grocery store. You don't even know what an engineer does yet you're considering going into it. What a joke. Go work with your hands by carrying boxes in a warehouse. What an insult.

>Mechanical engineering is probably the single broadest field out there

OP please dont listen to this guy, you can easily spot he is a freshman.

>Mechanical engineering is probably the single broadest field out there
freshman who read BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook detected

I'm a senior doing research. You're just assblasted non-ME's.

Lol why so much hate?? jeez man, I admit i been fucking up but I'm not an idiot... I just dont know what im gonna end up doing and some bullshit 9-5 minimum wage is def not the plan so engineering is more or less my default at this point... if you're gonna say something, back it up with some substantial premise don't just pop into the thread to call me an idiot and then leave gtfo

im trying to get some useful input from people who actually know wtf they're talking about

No engineer I've ever talked to types like you. You won't make it. We can deduce that you're not that smart by how you type, which is perfectly reasonable.

Oh fuck off m8. Just let him go for it.

As if I came on here expecting to be judged on how I type...
What is this really about? Is everything ok?
If I want to express myself on Veeky Forums, I'm not gonna fucking give a shit bout my vernacular or spelling or grammar. Bitch, if you can understand what I'm saying that's enough. And if you can't then obviously you're retarded.
Nigga stfu you filthy troll

The person you're calling a bitch is a professional engineer of 7 years. You won't make it. The fact that you're getting angry by this is just furthermore proving that you're not going make the cut. You have no legitimate reason for it to anger you other than the insecurity that you actually are dumb, which your post that I'm replying to, your colorful and odd language very much proving so.

God why the fuck even post here and waste your tine if you're not gonna say something substantial... i bet if i put a pros/cons on becoming an engineer you faggots would just say thats retarded and not even address it in any meaningful way...

Fucking hell

How you gonna say i cant type and then turn around and type in this nonsense that isn't even grammatically correct lmao and am i angry? At this point i feel like im just feeding the troll but damn bro you the one that is getting your panties in a bunch... shit i feel like one of the few people in here who isn't upset lmao and its sad that you expect me to believe you're an engineer of 7 years just coz you say so... you sound like you hate your life, calm down. Go for a walk or something lol

This is actually hilarious and 100% bait

lol why does this guy type like a dindu and how did he stumble onto Veeky Forums of all places

>types like an idiot
>tells other people that they're typing like an idiot
>pats himself on the back

ignorance is bliss

This is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen all day. Keep at it, OP.

It's not like we think you're a fag or anything.

how did a /b/tard get here?