Knives Knives Knives Knives Knives Knives

Buying my first "good" knife this week. All I've owned were $40 Block Sets from Walmart or similar... Well I cook almost every day - and I've finally decided that I should invest in something nice.

So my first research told me that my choice was between Germany and Japan.
>Germans
Easier to sharpen, buts needs it more often. Not as sharp as the VG10 Jap steel. Generally better handles, more comfortable.
>Japan
Harder to sharpen, you need more technique - certain stones, etc. Takes a sharper edge, holds it longer. Not as heavy, typically less comfortable. Most focus is in the sharp part, not the hand part.

So then I went on Amazon, and found a company called "Dalstrong." The reviews were all good, so naturally I started looking for bad reviews - anywhere on the Internet. I couldn't find anyone calling them out. The only down side is that they are made in China. The steel is imported, the build is Japanese... but at the end of the day, it comes from the land of lead paint, lead milk - built by people that cook puppies in boiling water while laughing. This is a major red flag.

Anyway, I hate buyer's remorse, as I'm sure you all do. So I'm putting out feelers. I've never used this board before, so I'm not sure where you guys rate on the fag-o-meter. But it never hurts to ask.

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So what, if anything, have you heard about Dalstrong? Do you think this is a good blade for a home cook that processes vegetables from sun up till sun down?

>What is your experience with high end knives?
>Have you ever regretted a buy?
>What have you learned since getting into the higher quality cookware game?
This handle really does look well designed. They say they are full tang, and hefty... But how can you know for sure until you pick one up?

For the same money as a sheet metal stamped, made in china "Dalstrong" knife you could buy a decent entry hand forged Japanese carbon steel knife which will last you significantly longer.

dont know about dalstrong, but I got 3 global knives. Cut through fucking everything and look stylish, im satisfied with my purchase.

such knives are btw the opposite of fagness.

>Okay, I think this thread is up-and-running. Feel free to give any advice at all about quality knives. I'd appreciate any advice.

>For the same money as a sheet metal stamped, made in china "Dalstrong" knife

These are not stamped. And Amazon has the price listed as 122 for the one pictured. Do you know anything about Dalstrong specifically? Have you ever seen one? Or maybe you know someone that used one?

Thank you, I will check out "Global Knives" some more. At first glance it seems they use a more basic stainless steel than VG10...

But you find them to be comfortable in the hand ?

Did you have any difficulty cleaning the handles or do you just make sure they don't get dirty? I would imagine that those little holes become difficult to clean but I've never had one

At least these have an interesting design

You can get Japanese knives with western handles ya dingus, Veeky Forums's perennial favourites Tojiro and Fujiwara both do this.

yes very. But my parents already had a Global breadknife when I was a kid, so I was used to this.

The meat and vegetable knives however are sharp as hell and cut through everything.

No, just rinse with hot water after use. The black dots are not a problem to clean at all, (rarely gets there anyway).

Pic related, 2 of them. Had them a year, still need to buy a sharpening rod though.

I can't belive this thread has existed this long without a victorianox shill. Every time I see this thread it inevitably turns into a fibrox shill thread.

Dude that pic is really helpful!
As retarded as it may sound, I thought the handle was hollow and that stuff would get inside lol

Ok then I'm definitely gonna get one for my next knife

Get this and never look back.

japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/

>Not as sharp as
Stop right there. Sharpness describes the shape of an object down to a micro level. Any given kind of steel is neither "sharp" nor "dull"

Start your research process again, you're already on the wrong track.

You forgot Tojiro DP fanbois, cleaver guy, and honing vs sharpening spergs

Are Veeky Forums meme purchases any good? I'm asking, since I'm quite happy with my /g/ memes.

China actually has good steel and if they actually care about their products, they can manufacture excellent shit.

IDK a fuck about whether Dalstrong is good, never held one of them.

If you need a suggestion what to get - try a Victorinox Fibrox (Swiss, but has the "german" style you described) and maybe a Kai (Japanese), together with basic sharpening equipment.

And then probably two really good sharpening stone if you decide you want more Japanese knifes.

Depends on whose memes and what part of /g/ you're happy with.

The only buy Japanese knifes with by anons seem about as dogmatic as the Applefags on /g/.

Japanese blades have precision folded atoms that you can't find in other knives

kek'd
good stuff user

People buy Apple products because they "just werk", not because of religion

The dogmatists are the open sores faggots, they are literally the Al Qaeda of electronics

They may not even know how to write a single line of code, but they read some screed by RMS and that gives them enough to lecture people on their wrong choice of consumer electronics

So, basically, FOSS nazis are the Fibrox people

The Applefags would be like, Shun fanbois. They attract resentment for being able to throw a little extra money at the problem in order to get a pretty good (if not necessarily hipster-approved) outcome that pretty much just werx

Wusthoff is the best selling premium brand knife, so that would be the Apple of knives.

Didn't know Shun outsold Global though, surprising. Dalstrong surprising high in Amazon sales ranking as well.