Pan gravy

Can anyone help me understand how to make gravy from meat drippings?
I feel like this should be something super basic, but I'm not a practiced cook.
I want to do it with bacon or beef grease, if that matters.

Cook some flour in the oil until its dark brown ....add water....done

You can also add milk for a richer gravy.

Flour is plebe tier. Use corn starch if you have it on hand; it won't dilute the flavor as much as flour and is rather neutral tasting.

I tried just adding flour and stirring, but it wouldn't mix in. I assumed it was just not enough heat, but when I turned it up a bit, the mixture started smoking.
Good idea, thanks. I was also thinking about trying to add whiskey like mom used to.
I might give it a try, but I currently have a ten pound bag of flour in my freezer.

You need add flour slowly while stirring vigorously over ~high heat. Otherwise, you're just eating meat jus with clumps of uncooked flour.

If you use cornstarch remember to mix it with cold water first.

When adding flour, it's easier to first make a slurry of water+flour, then stir that in.
Make sure you use a whisk when making the slurry and when incorporating it into your drippings.
You don't need too much flour as it will thicken as it cooks.

Dont cook it on high heat.....medium at the most. Youre basically making a roux and if you butn the flour its gonna taste like shit. If you smell burnt popcorn......in the trash it goes

??....yea adding water to hot oil is a great idea

Burn*

Idiot.

Ok, so more gradual addition. Got it. Maybe I should also use a smaller pan.
I'll try that, definitely.

I don't trust the knob label, since "medium" produces a different heat on different stoves. How can I tell if the heat is "medium"? Or is it not too big of a deal?

Is it safe to use a metal whisk on a nonstick pan?

This is the best advice I can give you OP.

Roux = 3 parts flour: 2 parts fat
Thickening Ratio = 10 parts liquid: 1 part roux
Beurre ManiƩ = 1 part flour: 1 part butter (by volume)
Slurry = 1 part cornstarch: 1 part water (by volume)
Thickening Rule = 1 tablespoon starch will thicken 1 cup liquid

Make a roux, whisk in flavorful liquid, wa la!

flour, water or milk

make it like you would a white sauce but you're using the drippings/bacon grease in place of the butter for the roux

Are you stupid an want to make fun of actual cooking technique?

no it's not safe to use metal utensils in a nonstick pan, but a wooden spoon works fine, also don't listen to the waterfag, just use less flour. you want roughly equal portions by volume of butter/bacon grease/whateves you using, and flour

water gravy is shite, and the slurry technique is only for cornstarch dumbass

>literally just add flour

>heat drippings on medium
>gradually whisk in an equal (by volume) amount of flour
>Cool until flour is golden brown, stirring constantly
>Add equal parts hot stock and light cream until it reaches the consistency you want, stirring constantly

Ta-da. Badass gravy.

It went better this time, Veeky Forums.
I didn't want it very thick today, but I'll be adding more flour next time for something thicker.

hot roux + cold stock/liquid has never caused lumps for me
just don't have hot+hot and ur gucci

think u ment Wa La

>Translucent gravy

That's called grease.

Actually, it's grease with flour in it. :^)

Anyway, I had some small success in that nothing burned and the flour merged in. So it's progress, and I'm happy.

Youre supposed to keep the drippings in a container and refridgerate it then take out the solidified top layer of grease before you make the gravy.

wat

This.

Yup.

Okay, so here's what you do.

Melt some butter oil heat oil on low.
Slowly whisk flour into it until it becomes a brittle dough.
Keep moving it until it starts turning brown. Don't let it turn brown. It's not bad but the flavor becomes noticeable (not bad) and it will bind less liquid.
Now one has to be hot, the other cool, I don't care which. whisk your stock and your roux together in a pot and heat it to boiling.

That's how you make a classic French meat sauce. If you want to get fancy learn the 5 mother sauces.

You have to work out the ratio of starch to fat. You may have to add a little more fat to the pan (olive oil, butter, etc...) then adjust the starch. Give the starch a couple of minutes to cook and then add stock (beef or chicken, depending on what protein you're cooking) and then allow it a couple of minutes to simmer and thicken. You can add herbs and whatnot to flavor the gravy.

bump

Why?

Asked and answered, no conversation... Let it go.

That's grease, not gravy. Gravy should be opaque.

If you are having this much difficulty with flour in the pan, try this - pour a small can of evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk which comes in same size can) into your drippings. While that comes back to heat whisk flour or cornstarch into a small amount of water. Add this solution, stir and cook to desired thickness. Season to taste.

1. Pull out the protein you cooked.
2. Add enough water to deglaze the pan while having enough liquid to use as your base.
3. A) Strain out the chunks if you're a pussy and want a smooth gravy, if not, bring the liquid back up to a boil in the pan and whisk in a thickening agent, like corn starch or flour. Season to taste, and serve.
3.B)IF you don't want to use water alone as your base, do the same as above, but boil off more of the liquid and add cream or milk, bring to boil, then add your thickening agent, season and serve.