Highschool graduate here, i want to go into computer science, but im unsure of some things

Highschool graduate here, i want to go into computer science, but im unsure of some things.

First, is your skill or talent as a computer scientist based on how many coding languages you know?

What i mean is will my chances of being able to do research with professors depend on my coding ability?

Should i start learning as many languages as possible right now?

Also what kind of graduate work will i be doing? I want to design new computers and devices like steve jobs.

enroll in an online degree asap

programming languages are a means to an end. what you should really learn is math.

>like steve jobs.
First of all, kill yourself for wanting to be "like steve jobs".

That aside, computer science isn't only about coding, unless you're at some mediocre uni in the US, trained to be a code monkey programmer, in which case your coding ability might as well be the only criterion for being good at "computer science". Actual research in computer science will require apt mathematical skills as well, not just coding ability. Finally, designing computers and devices falls under computer ENGINEERING, not computer science.

First you have to go on the fruitarian diet

talk about taking the bait

so wait is there a difference between a computer engineer and a computer scientist?

whats a computer scientist do then if hes not making computers?

No one gives a fuck how many languages you know. Once you get basic concepts down it's just syntax. Maybe learn things like OOP or functional. But who gives a shit. CS is about the theory of computation. CS is basically a math degree.

self-explanatory my dude. a computer engineer engineers computers. a computer scientist sciences computers

A language is something you use to create what you want to create. Some languages are better suited than others for specifik tasks.
Steve Jobs had an army of engineers. The reason he got fired from Apple was because he pissed of too many of them. A mistake on Apples behalf since he was a good designer.
Find out what you want to do and then use the tools needed to do it.
If you want to be a know-it-all then what you need is an insasiable curiosity about how things work. This route will eventually lead you into math, chemistry and physics so that is where you should start.

CS research is focused on the math
(Not adding or integrating numbers, but understanding subtle but powerful abstractions).

>CS is basically a math degree
Yeah. One where you don't need to learn anything more complicated than high-school level math.

Stop trying to make yourself feel better, scrub.

# of languages doesn't matter, once you know one well all the rest is just syntax.

The tough parts of CS are understanding a problem so thoroughly that you can break it down into it's most basic components and solve it piece by piece. It feels a lot like math but you have much more power to build cool shit early on.

Dude, don't go into CS. Go take a look at some of the /g/ career threads, these guys aren't making much more than 40-60k. The field is saturated as fuck, I regret getting into this degree but time is of the essence so I can't turn back now.

You're better off as an Electrical Engineer or something to that effect.

kek as a CS major he's right. The only reason I chose this degree is because there wasn't very much math compared to other engineering majors.

On the very unlikely chance this isn't bait:

>First, is your skill or talent as a computer scientist based on how many coding languages you know?

..what? No. It's based on how good you are at computer science. How good you are at algorithmic thinking, etc.

>What i mean is will my chances of being able to do research with professors depend on my coding ability?

Unlikely outside of specific areas. It really depends on what the professor's research area is, but there are loads of areas that involve either no or minimal coding.

>Should i start learning as many languages as possible right now?

You should know a common language, but beyond that you should try and get good at algorithms, datastructures and the like.

>Also what kind of graduate work will i be doing? I want to design new computers and devices like steve jobs.

That would probably be computer engineering. Computer science is about the mathematical underpinnings of computation, not about physical computers.

>kek as a CS major he's right. The only reason I chose this degree is because there wasn't very much math compared to other engineering majors.

Yeah, must be why CS majors take all the math courses engineers take + additional discrete math courses...

Although both CS and engineering obviously pale in comparison to an actual math major.

Dude we don't even take Calc 3. Discrete Mathematics lmao, that's like Calc 1-tier.

Go look at some other Engineering degrees (kek we don't even get an engineering degree, we get a bachelor of science, pleb tier), they have literally 4 years of math stacked out by prerequisites.

That depends where you go. I had to take calc 3 and many other unis I've seen require it.

>Discrete Mathematics lmao, that's like Calc 1-tier.

Just admit you're either trying to troll, or your university is pleb-tier.

If you dont want a CS major, but still want to prove to jobs you know how to code, what does Veeky Forums recommend?

>like steve jobs

If it's nationally accredited, it's nationally accredited.

>wants to emulate one of the greatest most successful geniuses of all time

must be bait

More bait, eh?

I think you know jobs was a business manager and marketer mostly and wozniak was responsible for all the early designs and engineering.

ok which mega-successful profoundly creative high-genius would you choose to want to be like who isnt "bait"??

You could try CompE. But doubling CS with something like mathematics would be a lot better.

Enjoy homelessness