Whats the evolutionary advantage of liking music?

Whats the evolutionary advantage of liking music?

a trait doesn't need to be favorable, only not selected against.

social cohesion via shared cultural artifacts

None. Unless it's weeb music desu

While i do not think that there is a particular evolutionary advantage to likeing music, i do think there is a great evolutionary advantage to hearing and recognizing distinct patterns of sound. Keep in mind that music is human made, meaning that overtime it was atrificially developed by people who figured out how to produce various patterns of sound in order to evoke emotion. I will say however the primary root of this lies in our evolution of pattern recognition, which is why completely separated societies and cultures all managed to create some form of music.

The intuition to rhythm and pitch.

Its wonderful.

Most likely primal sounds that signal peacefulness, familiarity, and similarity. For instance, much if it may be akin to the sounds you hear while in the womb.

It's a way for people to socialize and relax.

It's not necessary an advantage, even if it's selected.

perhaps the notion that the mark of a level of sophistication within a species is the progression and development of that which is not a biological necessity

Tickling your enjoyment of patterns while reducing stress/cortisol.

changing the emotion of groups of people who are more musically inclined (which is a majority of the population). Although it may not seem to have a noticeable effect on people at many times, the effect is actually profound.

Changing the emotions of people in large masses has its benefits..

Who cares faggot

>this pleb isn't interested in human evolution

The one million dollar question is:

Is music inherent to us, or is it totally artificial?

If it was created by us, and the natural/artificial division is arbitrary, then this question doesn't matter.

inherent
give me money

No why would I
What will it help that I know, I'll die in 50 years

>I'll die in 50 years

It could help explain why you haven't already killed yourself even though you're so concerned with your eventual death.

> evo psych
> not just making shit up

The Neanderthal couldn't sing, why they failed. It's all about the vibes, music resonates with the brain stem and filters out harmful heavy metals and other pollutants from the cranium I hear tell.

>The study of evolution purely consists of evolutionary psychology

top pleb

Music was created for people to relate to each other. Music is just math patterns. You want to find people who enjoy the same math patterns as you.

> this isn't a evo psych thread

> the study of human evolution isn't only slightly more rigorous.

Well it might be less than 50
Please help me

>humans have always existed
>music has always existed

These are your alternatives, pick both.

I don't know you but I think you're both wrong

The study of evolution isn't required to try to find answers on this topic?

you're using syllogism to generalize an idea that has no form of empiricism to support it.

>Being interested in something academic
>Being interested in waste your short 50 years on earth responding to useless shit on Veeky Forums
Pick One

>If it's not empiricism it's naughty.

Thanks for your opinion, also what's so special about your own heuristics and biases?

>i'm using faulty logic but hey at least it's fair ; )

what's so special about your own naivety and ideal scenarios which are akin to the devils proof of the black swan?

music is a waste of time. the only things that matter are science and math.

science and math are boring by themselves. the only thing that spices them up is music.

When I woke up today I wondered to myself "How can I express that I totally misunderstand the concept of natural selection in the fewest number of words possible?"
Google, youtube comments, even yahoo answers ("how is babby formed") failed me. But Veeky Forums showed me it can be done...

..in only 7 words. Beat that losers.

music is used to unite people.
if you dont see advantage in that then im wonderng why you're still here?

>Never heard of the sign.
Pic related.