Is "beer culture" the worst meme we've had come about recently?

Is "beer culture" the worst meme we've had come about recently?
The whole "anything not made in some guy's basement is pure shit"
"macro breweries? No thanks. I'll stick to my mocha-pumpkin-cinnamon lager like a real man"
"trust me this piss is totally different from mass produced piss"

food snobs of any type are the worst meme.

Yep.

I think it gets out of hand when microbreweries start charging 10 bucks a bottle just because people will still buy it. I mean it's only hops and malt, how expensive can it be to make it?

Everyone needs something to be a snob about
On /g/ they have contests over who can spend hours ricing out the transparency settings in KDE6 to show who is a real smart computer genius
On Veeky Forums they argue about who is the most adept at dressing like a Seinfeld character
On Veeky Forums we hide our insecurities by our unique special snowflake taste in brain-destroying ethanol, and our advanced guru-level knowledge of sharpening (ahm ayktchually I think you mean honing it realigns the edge)

I usually see pumpkin ales. Sure there are craft lagers but the market is heavily skewed toward ales. If I'm pounding cheep beer to get wasted lagers are fine but I think they taste kind of bland so I never buy craft lagers.

You should kill yourself.
Nobody cares how many categories of piss you can name that you've tried.

It's just another thing that got played out by the masses and hipsters. Regular faggots just talk about how much they love IPA's, and the hipsters pretend they like bourbon-aged stuff. Fuck'em all.

Like anything that started out good it got rightfully hyped, then over hyped, then got fucking way out of control.

There are some great micro breweries out there making some damn fine beer, and exploring the local offerings is a fun hobby.. but a lot of it is terrible and there's plenty of mainstream beer that's perfectly drinkable,

What you are describing is US beer culture.
Beer is treated in a completely different way in other cultures around the world. Various beer cultures are as old as beer itself.

>there's plenty of mainstream beer that's perfectly drinkable,
If I even imply this in my group chat I get attacked

Do you live in the deep south? It's 2016, we have the craft beer now. Here is a map from my maps folder. It's only feminazis and islamists who don't agree with me.

Excuse me?

Epic memester
No, I live in Germany

>craft beer
Or as they call it in the civillized world, beer.

>not having the best beer in the world
I honestly feel sorry for everyone in this thread

No wonder they're so obsessed

It's similar (though I'd say not as bad) in Canada.

It's actually kinda interesting here, because due to some really fucked up laws, it's really hard to move beer around within the country, but really easy to import it from outside the country. This is annoying because as someone who lives in Nova Scotia I have a much easier time getting a beer from say, Germany or Belgium, than say, Ontario.

What this means however is that aside from going to beer shows which manage to bring a small offering from each province, you really have to travel around if you want to get a lot of exposure to what they're drinking in other parts of the country... and that's actually pretty fun.

That's weird as fuck
In my home country, you can get all the national and international big brands wherever you go. But the smaller and more independent breweries only ship their beer to the surrounding 50 to 100 kilometers or so. And even then, you gotta go to a good supermarket or dedicated beverage store to get what you want.

>2016
>drinking alcoholic beverages

How does it feel to be a slave to your weaknesses?

This tBh.

Why would you even spend time to travel around just to taste each regions piss water?

That must be the most boring fucking woman on earth.

kek m8, you honestly believe that the consumables you take in determine whether or not you're interesting? Ever heard of a book?

It's incredibly nice to travel around the US to different breweries. Good brewpubs are usually gorgeous and have great food.

They named 2

I'm not denying that it's probably piss cheap to make, but you have to consider that sometimes smaller operations charge more because thy can't afford not to. There's all kinds of operating costs that need to be considered outside the cost to buy the materials to make the product. Stuff like rent, hourly, maintenance for whatever machines and equipment you have(or potentially paying OFF the debt for the machines.)

Indeed, it's the same deal with small coffee roasters. They arn't making money hand over fist, chances are most are barely staying in business. The model is sustainable because there's a core group of people willing to pay an (often out of proportion) premium to keep a smaller operation going.

>muh haruki murakami
/kys/
/specialsnowflake/
/litfa/

>being this defense and butthurt that men and women are able to wake up in the morning without coffee and eat at a restaurant without doubling their bill on unnecessary alcohol

sours are goat tier tho

>says the child who drinks root beer and jager

>buying books to "make myself interesting"
how many tattoos do you have, and how many are you saving up for at your hot topic job?

Learn to greentext properly, faggot.

This. Veeky Forums is fucking elitist central.

Bench bro on suicide watch

Is "meme culture" the worst meme we've had come about recently?
The whole "anything i dislike i will call it a meme"
"dank memes? No thanks. I'll stick to reddit macro images and rage comics like a real cock connoisseur"
"trust me todays memes are a lot better than the older memes"

>Florida is Kentucky
>still shaped like it could be a piece of fried chicken

Nah, if anything she probably has too much going on. She's the person that causes a shit fit at a party when everyone else just wants to order pizza. Then everyone gets to bitch about her behind her back and she's just the cause of any and all drama within the group but no one says anything cause muh veganisms

Believe it or not there are people out there who drink piss. Like actual urine. Jim Norton said it was akin to popcorn because apparently it's salty?

Yeah yeah we get it, you don't like beer..

I drink Coors :)

Coors original is approved by all.

I like a good beer as much as the next guy but yeah, "beer culture" is shite

If you delve into anything that's described as a "culture", you generally find:

>A large and mostly decent group of people just using a common interest as a way of having fun.
>A smaller group that takes it way more seriously. Usually still a decent group because they have nothing to prove and just like to keep to themselves and do their thing.
>An intolerable group of fuckwits in the middle who like are in it entirely for the image of being a beer/wine/whiskey/coffee/indie music/artisan dildo/whatever aficionado.

If you brew beer, play an instrument or make a movie, you usually have an end product you want to make and the hobby is the process. But if your hobby is to drink beer, listen to music and watch movies then the only "result" you can get is better taste, hence why so many in those fields tend to be extremely willing to showcase it (although far from everybody).

Sure, but one doesn't necessarily involve them self in a hobby to get to some end result.

Just hanging out with people who share a common interest is fun and a good way to maintain a social circle, plus you can pool resources to do things as a group which would be impractical on an individual level (like ordering cask strength whiskey by the barrel).

Right, there's all kinds of middle ground in there. Lots of people are genuinely interested in something while still being annoying snobs outside their circles.

>craft beer faggot
>hipster nu-male

pick two, always two.

>On Veeky Forums they argue about who is the most adept at dressing like a Seinfeld character

really? it's not who can suck the most dick? because i would have sworn that's what it would be.

no
People who still drink macros are much worse

i would love to see all marylanders teleported to oklahoma just to watch them shrivel and die in the heat and cow manure

Not nearly as gay as Veeky Forums

Most of what you see on Veeky Forums is angsty permavirgins declaring their love for some 14 year old girl they found on the instagram or whatever it is kids use these days to post pictures

>Or as they call it in the civillized world, beer.
Do you honestly believe that?

Unless you live in Belgium, your top sellers are terrible macro shit just like in America, sure they are slightly better than Bud but they are much closer to Bud than legitimate 'craft' beer

Only neckbeards and poor college students say "craft beer"

No self-respecting adult would ever use that phrase

It depends on the context really. There are plenty of times where the distinction is relevant to make
Craft beer is pretty fucking normie though, no matter how much you wish it was a neckbeard thing

>no matter how much you wish it was a neckbeard thing
Spotted the neckbeard

Nobody said it wasn't "normie"

Only that it's not a phrase used in real life

How big is your collection of rare empties, neckbeard?

You've never heard someone refer to a 'craft beer' centric bar, or anything like that.
I think you may be confused thinking that I am advocating using the term craft beer any time you are talking about beer (as if that is something that anybody actually does), rather than just in cases where the distinction adds necessary clarification to your speech, which is a rather silly thing to get triggered by on your part

thats why the few non shit boards we have are good though
the only speciality board that ever had a fraction of elitism but let it die is /mu/ and now its complete shit for anyone who's into music as a hobby beyond a few generals.

elitism is the only thing keeping the redditors away

I don't know about all this whatever.
I only drink steel reserve beer.
A. because it has an anvil on it
B. because it's cheaper than other beers by a factor of 50%
C. because it's stronger than other beers by a factor of 30%
and D. because it tastes like garbage so nobody takes my beer

>You've never heard someone refer to a 'craft beer' centric bar, or anything like that.
Not really, no. That would just be a "bar".

Steel reserve blackberry isn't half bad in all honesty, they don't sell it where I live now but I maintain the original steel reserve is fucking disgusting. I've only tried two "beers" that were worse. Hurricane extra strong and Milwaukee ice. The latter made me violently ill for days, thought I was going to die

Hey, at least have respect for the guys actually making the beer. It's a respectable job and sometimes the little guy has to put weird stuff out to compete against the big boys and break into the market.

on the one hand, craft beer neckbeards are really annoying
on the other hand, anyone getting labeled "hipster nu-male" is automatically on my side
guess I'm gonna have to side with the neckbeards on this one

>elitism is the only thing keeping the redditors away
Didn't work for /tv/

there are a wide fucking variety of bar types, surely you've heard people distinguish between different subsets of bars

Lol yeah, I from the 1960s too and beards are bad

>t. prefers rice filler in his drink

KEK

Sure, but "craft beer bar"?
No such thing
Belgian beer bar
German beer bar
Cocktail bar
Wine bar
Dive bar
Never "craft beer bar"
It's kind of assumed that unless it's a dive bar, the beer is good

>It's kind of assumed that unless it's a dive bar, the beer is good
True, but there are many degrees of good. Surely you have some bars near with with a large number of taps know for their particularly good selection, especially with regards to getting kegs of rare stuff. Just having good beer is expected and wouldn't make you a craft beer bar, but craft beer bars are a pretty common thing

I'm not content with lager, bitter, draught, I dislike typical European stuff like Stella Artois, Heineken & Carlsberg, I don't like IPA, pumpkin ale, melon shit. But I really like brown ales, scotch ales, ambers and reds.

Where does that put me?

>KDE6
>real smart computer genius

user...

Has the "sour" beer trend ended yet?

Those are dogshit

nope

All beer is dogpiss

its literally the greatest beverage man has yet to discover

Nope, though luckily the "just add more hops yo" thing is winding down.

The just add as much hops as possible thing ended like 5 years ago

Regardless of the "tier" nobody calls them craft beer bars and nobody says craft beer
If more specificity is needed you just refer to the place by its name and if the other person doesn't recognize it you describe what the place is about
But nobody says "craft beer", that's just turbo-neckbeard
It's like saying "gourmet restaurant" or something
Just what the fuck

Urine isn't that good lad.

Hops are great. Without hops beer is just another sugar-water like kool-aid.

ok dude, if you insist

Beer is expensive as fuck to get wasted on. A 2 sixer is $27.45 a two four is like $40

>A 2 sixer is $27.45 a two four is like $40
wait, what?

'Meme' is a fucking horrible word. They used to be something I'd giggle about in private, and now my fucking facebook feed is flooded with pepes and harambes and stupid fucking shit.

I remember around 2009, my literally autistic teenage cousin started showing me demotivational posters and image macros and shit. That was the day the magic died for me.

tl;dr im a salty oldfag everyone get off my fucking lawn

How are you still so salty?

I've been here for nine years and it's more fun to just continue giggling at redditards that try so hard to fit in but don't

A 2 sixer of stoli is 27.45, perfect vodka only a dollar more than Smirnoff but smooth as fuck tastes good, get some pickles take a shot and then suck on a pickle to get the juices.

I am entirely unfamiliar with the terminology 2 sixer and two four

A two sixer is a 750ml bottle of vodka, I assume because it used to cost 26.95 for the stoli, a two four is a case of twenty four beers

Do you live in Canada? Those prices are really fucking high

I live in the Democratic People's Hindu Republic of Ontario

But that's plain wrong, I was talking to a fucking machine operator (hardly your nu-male strawman fantasy) on a mining tour the other day and when I bought a decent pale ale they recommended a "craft beer pub", those exact words, in the city nearby if ever I was there. """Real people""" do use the terminology.

>a machine operator
Ok, so a guy for whom good drinks are basically living beyond ones means says craft beer
I guess I should have said "poor people" not just "poor college students"
I take it for granted that people can live with dignity past a certain age but of course that's not always true
But yes if you're poor, then you might say craft beer
>nu-male
Speaking of terms that don't exist in real life

>for whom good drinks are basically living beyond ones means says craft beer
lol, craft beer isn't that expensive

>no one says this thing except for people that do
Real solid point there guy

>I guess I should have said "poor people" not just "poor college students"
I doubt refreshing Veeky Forums every few minutes to go on your shitposting crusade in every beer thread nets you a six figure salary, unlike said operator.

>lol, craft beer isn't that expensive
Not to a person with a middle class job. But obviously, if you're poor enough, it's a big enough deal that you unconsciously (or consciously) call attention to it by saying "craft beer" instead of just "beer" like normal people
As I said in a much earlier post, some people (neckbeards, the poor) say "craft beer". Feel free to review the thread again if you would like.
Did I say something that offended you?

Well duh, they get an Arch-based distro and rice it like true men.

Veeky Forums is relentlessly elitist.

Steel reserve is for shotgunning

unless you're saying "you should read this book," the entire concept is a masturbatory exercise