youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_regulatory_network
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.78.1190
nature.com/nature/journal/v376/n6538/abs/376307a0.html
nature.com/nrg/journal/v13/n7/abs/nrg3197.html
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369848607000544
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends what college you go to

at the top ones it is indeed more of a science. you actually go into the maths and philosophy and shit of how stuff works.

maths (sic) and philosophy aren't science

dumb american

Computer Science is a subfield of maths.

Maths has nothing to do with computers, or with science.

There is nothing to agree or disagree about, it's fact.

anyone have the video for that gif?

youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY

Are computers not physical devices to express the mathematical idea of computability? I disagree they have nothing to do with mathematics, they are a kind of side-effect.

i kind of wish software engineering was a respectable discipline

No faggot. Hal abelson is strongly wrong and biased, he has or used to have a missconception about what is computer science. His conception about computer science is that computers are items with a screen and a bunch of cables handcrafted by humans. On the other hand, computer science is about any system that can actually do or perform computing (e.g. DNA). In that period of the time (the one that he used to teach that boring and outdated course) hal abelson did not was aware about the fact that computing is a wider field. For instance, DNA can be seen as a turing machine.

They're not.
All science is philosophy, but not all philosophy is science.
Similarly mathematics is technically a subset of non-scientific philosophy

>DNA
>Computing
Please read a biochemistry book.

but it is... not even that guy, but if you werent so ignorant you would understand the limited computing analogies that go on in the cell (reading/writing/copying and we wont even get into higher level epigenetic stuff), as well as the multitude of papers outlining how to push well past those limits in a laboratory setting.

You ignorant faggot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_regulatory_network
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.78.1190
nature.com/nature/journal/v376/n6538/abs/376307a0.html
nature.com/nrg/journal/v13/n7/abs/nrg3197.html
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369848607000544

Yes, since applying a small subset of mathematics to real world problems the field
is not enough to warrant such a broad term as "science" unless it's a PhD.

"Computer Science" should be named "Computer Engineering",
"Software Engineering" should be called "Programming Certification to Work an Enterprise Job".

Don't kid yourself people.
There is no need to call someone an "Electrical Scientist",
nor are there "Mechanical Scientists" running around waving their undergrad diplomas.
Calling someone "Computer Scientist" in this day and age is vague bullshit that sounds big,
nothing else. Same with "Data Science" of course.

>at the top ones it is indeed more of a science. you actually go into the maths and philosophy and shit of how stuff works.

>at the top ones it is indeed move of a science

>maths

>a science

Not even once.

then what should computer engineering be called?

Hardware Engineering perhaps? Technical Computer Engineering?
It's all a clusterfuck anyway, I don't know.

why do incompetent people insist on posting on Veeky Forums ...

Well considering that class he was teaching would fall more under software engineering I guess he's right. Computer science is definitely a thing but the major most people take called computer science should be called software engineering

just ee with cs

Real CE

Why don't we just use the word "informatics"?

No

computers are just one of the many devices that express the mathematical idea of computability. did computability not exist before modern computers? will it not exist when current computers become obsolete?

computer science should be called information science or computing science.

Whatever happened to that guy?

Call center.

Data Science is a thing though.
The difference is that employers need Data Scientists, but most of people who have those skills are people with PhD's doing research on data.

In the future being a Data Scientist will be as meaningless as becoming a Software Engineer, thanks to undergrad programs.

>The difference is that employers need Data Scientists, but most of people who have those skills are people with PhD's doing research on data.

All data science is, is a data mining exercise. At the end of the day they hope that 1 in 10 of their variable correlations actually have predictive value. This is about as reliable as the validity of any psychology theory that has been invented.

I do not. I do think that the field made it obsolete for any purpose.

>Arquitecture
>Networking for computers
>Proyect
>Analist
>Teory
I'm genuinely crying.

>"Computer Science" should be named "Computer Engineering",
No faggot. You are not an authority in the field. Furthermore, you do not understand what is a computer science. Computing or computer science is the same term.

"Data science", is a new buzzword for a thing that computer scientists have been working for a long time.

This!, math and computer science started as a very related field, nowadays things have changed. CS and math stopped asking the same things.

>Science technology and society, economy, numeric methods, administration for "huuurr muh engineering".

For that reason everybody mock about engineers in my country. Engineering is not a hard science major as computer science is.

>informatics
Informatics is a shit term created by frenchs. That term is also biased and do not reflect the computing element of the field.

Is 'Information Technology' good? As a noun
anyway CS must be a meme degree because my cousins doing it and I happen to know for a fact that he's a brick

>This is the hardest math CS PhDs learn