Are culinary degrees worth it?

Are culinary degrees worth it?
I'm thinking of switching my major from CS to something cooking/food-related because I'm a lazy fuck when it comes to science/math

if by worth it you mean making $10 an hr. then yes. definitely.

that's sad

student debt for a fancy cookbook

it depends. i went to culinary school, did nothing with my degree for over ten years and am now putting together a business plan for doing baking and sugar work. if you don't go out on your own, your options are work for shit pay for a while, or if you're good, get picked up by a fantastic eatery for a good pay. grey areas are pretty rare it seems.

>switching from CS to culinary because lazy
woah op, ABORT

That's like asking if an art degree is worth it

CS and programming is the suicide of the soul, do not waste your life

Experience is better than any degree that money will buy in this field, I knew I wanted to be a chef from early on, I started part time after school working in a subway doing prep work cleaning the floors ect, then I worked my way up to sandwich artist, after a few years I got my break when a new Wendy's franchise opened in my town, I applied and was hired on as lead chef right at the beginning and I have been there for 4 and a half years now will a full staff under me, so no just be passionate and work hard forget the degree

yes.
thats a way to abstract question to answer generalized.
so, no.

Don't think I would get my eyes that close to an unbound crab claw.

the easiest way try a part time job as a kitchen helper. then you will know whether you want this.
P.S: if you dont have 100% passion for it, dont do it.

Thanks anons, will try to follow your advice

>subway
>wendys
>chef

are you for real

I'm sure you have a lof of managing to do, any job is like that when you have to manage people anyway, but please dont say yo'ure a chef.

That's what I made for a dish job as well as a linecook job at a bar.
?m?m?
A cook could easily make $20, I don't know why you'd bother with culinary school anyway. I look at kitchen jobs as easy, plentiful, and with decent pay (depending on where you're at) with no real experience needed to get in and start moving up.
Get a dish job, move up to prep or cook, then quit because your coworkers are trash. If you stay, you might get up to sous chef, which would help you get a better job in a different kitchen.
The issues I've had in kitchens has always been coworkers, if there's healthy banter it's fine, but when everyone starts getting pissy I leave.

10/10

chef
/SHef/noun: chef; plural noun: chefs
a professional cook, typically the chief cook in a restaurant or hotel.

I am the chief cook in charge at a restaurant the literal definition of a chef

It's not a restaurant, it's a fastfood chain

res·tau·rant
/ˈrest(ə)rənt,ˈrest(ə)ˌränt/
noun: restaurant; plural noun: restaurants

a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the

a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises

So a supermarket with chairs? subway doesn't even serve the meals, you pick them up at a counter

no. The culinary industry will kill your joy in cooking

Good dictionary work, buddy. But you're not a fucking chef. You're a kitchen manager.

75% of culinary school is cleaning, the other 25% is watching the proffesor cut a pig. Have Fun

It is for me cause if i never got my seal there would of been no way to get my certified chef de cuisine here in canada

dude

get your cs degree

THEN go pursue that cooking dream.

your mind right now is suited for the CS. get it while you still can.

This. Do three years in the industry and realize how much it sucks then go get a cushy dev job. I put aside a degree in IT to do what you're thinking and it was a hell of a lot harder getting my foot back in the door there without finishing college.

NO