Global knives

Anons help a brother out

I can't decide between the g4 (pic related) and the g2

Does anyone have any experience with either?
I already have a 20cm one and it's not too big or anything

Both seem to have roughly the same curvature in the blade, so for rocking motion both would be fine

And the g2

I like what the others look like a bit more, and I think the one you posted is pricier as well

That's how I ended up with the g2 and g4, after checking out a few others from them

bumpity bump

I have the G2, and it is fantastic.

I haven't tried the G4, but I think I'd prefer the G2 due to how far away the blade starts from where your grip is. The G4 could feel less attached to your arm.

do you feel like there's not enough curve in the blade for example? does it feel light enough?

I'm also leaning towards the G2, especially since there's a few well priced bundles with it in them

Don't buy a stainless steel knife

this is useless without any kind of reasoning behind it, in case that wasn't obvious

Don't buy global knives. I own like 3 of them. They have poor edge retention and the hybrid-style, all stainless grip becomes uncomfortable over time. They're also overpriced.

what would you get then?
>besides shun

wusthof looks kinda...plain? I dunno, I just don't like the handles

if it's of any use, I'm in Europe, price cap is like 120 euro

how did you end up with 3 of them if they're all bad?

Don't buy a rustfast knife unless you have OCD.

well this has been useless

I'll just get a Ginsu knife

Global is fine, but you're paying a lot for the name and reputation and such. You can honestly get way better knives for the same or less money. You can get a Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP, which imo are decidedly better, for easily a third less than a G2, and for the same money you could get a Misono UX10.

Hell if you wanted to splurge, for only like 60 bucks more you could get a HAP40 knife from Kohetsu.

I'd say skip getting a global. They're fine knives but substantially overpriced.

>there are no good stainless steels
>everybody is a professional cook or hardcore home cook and values performance over ease of use and maintenance 100%

Some people don't want to have to look after their knives like that. I work in a kitchen so my priorities are a bit different, but not everyone does.

Bumperonni

all metal handles are uncomfortable, even if youre a homecook and cook for like 4 people itll be a pain.
listen to this op, he knows what hes talking about, i also own a misono ux10 and its my most treasured knife

My UX10 was my main knife for years on the line. Loved that thing. I recently replaced it with a CPMS90V custom knife, which is definitely a substantial step up, but it's also like six times more expensive.

Misuno UX10 is ~175$ to the G2's ~100$.

>I went a little too slow on part of my onion and now the dice is grey and stinks.

Performance.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the nip restaurants only use rustfast to fuck with their juniors. The chefs I see on wbpstar certainly like shiny stainless steel.

thanks, finally some tangible advice

however, I think things are different here in europe, at least in terms of prices
that Misuno might be better but it is also quite a bit more expensive here

those Tojiro ones look ok and are within my range; you're basically saying that they are better quality?

but at least you guys have sort of convinced me that the global handle isn't handy (ahehe pun ahah...a..)

*sigh* more research
bloody knives man I swear

Been using the G2 for around a decade - at home and occasionally on the line - and I love it (haven't upgraded to anything really nicer, so there's not much to compare it to in that regard). I do think the G4 looks nicer, but have never handled one, and makes a good point about the grip being potentially awkward.

>all metal handles are uncomfortable

I find the Global handle really comfortable; much better than most workhorse type knives you'll find on the line and in restaurant supply stores (with plastic or wooden handles). They're also not slippery at all, as many people frequently suggest. The only real issue is the size, which people with larger hands might find uncomfortable (although I have larger hands and like the size).

My main advice would be to at least handle whatever knife you're going to buy before making the purchase, because whatever praise people might give to whatever X knife online, you might get it in the mail and realize it's completely uncomfortable in your hand.

Hijacking thread for a cleaver recommendation.

I've got a Chinese buddy that can work with a smallish cleaver really well, and I'm intrigued by the prospect of using it as my main blade.

OP here

I've used a cleaver for a while but it wasn't an actual chinese cleaver so it got tiring after a while

also: good luck trying to rock that thing for some garlic

it's pretty cool tho if you can get your hands on an actual chinese cleaver, so the light, thin ones, which don't have a very long blade; it should be rather nimble

but you need to keep it sharp, since you don't really have that pointy tip for veggies with thicker skins

Ah, apologies. I'm basing those prices on stuff I remembered from years ago. The UX10 is more than I remembered and the G2 is cheaper than I remembered.

Nonetheless I think he'd be way better off getting a Tojiro or something.

Yeah, the handles aren't great imo. I don't mind the size and shape necessarily- I've got big hands so they're not right for me, but handle shape is mostly a matter of personal preference- but being all metal, they get slippery pretty easily which is definitely not ideal.

just adding that I love the global one sided bevel... still sharp after almost 10 years and just honing

Well I just bought a mac pro. I wanted something with decent quality but cheap enough that I'm okay learning to sharpen with it.

I ended up with three of them because I was gifted two in the same year and didn't do my research. The third one was a utility knife that I didn't use often, so things like edge retention and ergonomics weren't something I really noticed. After a year and a half of use, I can say that you'd be better off with a jap knife of a different brand.

I recently found an ebay seller through word of mouth that sells MAC brand knives unstamped direct from the factory. They are like half the price of a stamped mac. The seller's name is sk2excellent. He also sells other brands but the discount is a lot less.

I know a lot of working cooks that use MAC pro professionally and love them. I can't speak on it personally because I just ordered mine but I'm optimistic.

Good luck!

>mfw i do all my prep at home using a dull pair of steak knives
>this developed purely out of comfort, because i like the ergonomic grip of the knife
>likely developed a shitton of bad habits using those dull knives
>i would probably accidentally cut off my tendons or something if i ever had to use real knives

kek'd
But really user, get a couple of whetstones and sharpen dem knives if you like the grip so much
If they're really dull it'll take a while to get them in decent shape again but it's worth it

Thanks for the suggestion user. I found some ok priced Mac's and there's a couple that look quite alright.

Well I know for sure it'll be a Japanese knife. Have to be careful with some of them because they seem to have some funky edges (single edge and such)

So far the tojiro's have kinda won me over. Everyone says they keep their blade long enough, they come super sharp out of the box, and the price is good. Heck, I even like their design and I could get something else (smaller knife or a stone) from the money left over

last bump