Do you make your own broth?

Do you make your own broth, Veeky Forums?

>Had some frozen pigs trotters and leftover lamb bones from some lamb chops I had night before last
>Oven roasted the trotters until they got crispy and the drained the fat away
>Boiled em' for 6 hours with the lamb bones along with some carrots, celery, garlic, cider vinegar, and assorted spices (fennel, bay, sage, rosemary)
>Sieve, put in fridge overnight, and scrape excess fat off of gelatin block that has formed in the pot
>currently using to slow cook black beans along with some bone-in pork ribs that will supply even more meaty flavor

Tastes pretty good so far.

Sounds tasty OP.

Sounds nice, though adding acid to your stock is something id never do, since it linits the use heavily, also no fan of different animals in 1 broth. I add dried shitake and a piece of kelp to almost any stock i do nowadays, it improves taste significantly. Another advice for trotters specifically would be to have it on a rolling boil for 14h+ so the bones start to dissolve and you get a nice white colour if you cleaned em right. And i guess you just forgot to mention onions, since a type of onion definitely needs to be in any stock

Yes, there were onions in there.

I actually have a big thing of dried shittakes in the pantry, I'll have to remember that for next time.

How do you clean trotters? All the recipes I looked up said to just kind of throw them in there.

I don't know if it counts as stock, but I do boil leftover bones and use the water for beans, chickpeas and sometimes rice.

can't be bothered with the mirepoix though

Its only a cosmetical thing, the deep white colour is just really pretty, the tadte doesnt change much. The heavy boil is what makes your broth more gelatinous and richer in general. You clean them with something pointy (chopstick,shashlik w/e)under running water, after youve boiled them for a short time. Also saves you the hussle of spooning off the gunk that collects in the pot at the beginning

I do. I'm gonna make a sick nasty broth from left over braise liquid. Mostly mustard and whey. I just wanna clarify it and make some ramen.

Thats the broth i got going atm, going to make chickensoup tommorow with some dumplings i made couple days ago.
I also like adding a couple ounces of smokey bacon to porkbroth lately, it sounds like a meme but it gives a really nice smokey dimension

personally I would\ve added the fat to the stock then skim it off whatever floats to the top and congeals when it cools

I keep a large container in the icebox to put vegetable leavings in, like potato/carrot peels, onion outsides and such and use that to make stock instead of using up perfectly good veggies that could be used for something else. you get roughly the same flavor and do something usefull with what would otherwise be trash, or compost

made my own broth for pho a couple weeks ago, pound of shin bones, pound of stew bones and a pound of chuck roast. turned into about 8 cups of broth that was fucking insanely flavorful.

Can we all agree that bouillon ruins soup? When my dad would make our family chicken and rice soup, he'd use so much bouillon that everything would be dyed a sickly bright yellow. It made the soup disgusting.

All the time

Every week OP. I roast a chicken on monday and pick it clean the bones immediately go into a 2qt sauce pan and brought to a simmer. I then put it in a 180 degree oven overnight. In the morning I add onion and carrot for an hour then strain. WALA a scant 2qt's of stock for the week.

bump

Oh a broth thread! Was about to make one.

Can I use leftovers bones from grilled/roasted meats for a broth?
Do they last in the fridge/freezer?

yes and yes

Grilled/roasted meats will give you a brown stock
while non grilled/roasted will give you a white stock. If I make a small batch of stock I don't even refrigerate it; it stays on the stovetop and I simmer it before using.

Yea I do. For chicken broth ill throw in onion, garlic and maybe some celery. For vegie broth I just save up enough scraps to fill a large zip lock and make some spicy vegetable soup (I eat lots of chilies so the broths are always spicy).

>potato in stock
I've never done this because I assumed it would act as a thickener. Is this not the case?

Useful in small amounts if you need it but yeah.

This thread gave me some inspration to try it, i didnt feel like going to the gorcery store, i used some left over ribs that we wernt going to eat any way seasoned with 1 shallot, fresh parsley galic cloves, dash of wochester, bay leaves going to leave in the crock pot for 10 hours, first time doing this should i have cleaned the meat off the bone does that matter? Did i do it right?

oh thanks, and to clarify, I was asking if the bones last in the fridge not the broths.

yeah thats the case.
i didnt want to bash this way of making broth because using up leftovers is definitely a good thing, but there are many vegetables which fuck up your broth or add a very dominant flavor/colour/consistency.
The veg base to most broths i do is basically a couple carrots,1-2 leeks/shallots/onions,celleryroot (thats fresh ingredients for like 1.50$) - dried shitake,bayleaf,kelp,parsley from the balcony.
so while using up scraps is definitely nice theres no real point for me in mixing together a weird mix of scraps for a weird broth when the fresh stuff is ultra cheap anyways. Thats obviously different for the animal parts, where freezing makes a lot of sense

dont add seasonings to your broth ever - you can do that once you chose an application for it, doing it beforehand has no value and limits use heavily.
root vegetables are a standard in non-seafood broths, also garlic is very dominant.
Besides sounds fine, just experiment with it, itll get better over time.
Roasting/searing bones or vegetables changes the taste of broth/soup significantly, allspice is a nice addition sometimes, and besides that youll figure how much stuff you want to put in for a certain amount of water. But theres no right or wrong really

I question for people that do veggie scraps stock.

are there any vegetables that you should definitely avoid using. Asking because I go through a ton of brussel sprouts so I throw away alot of stems and outer leaves. I've never seen brussel sprouts mentioned as used in stocks before so just curious

Cool thanks i was thinking of using it as a broth for beef stew, or even just eat it plain. I see your point so if i made a stew i would be double seasoning which would be bad. Thanks for the tips

guess youve had overcooked brusselsprouts,broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage before - those are prime examples for things that taste disgusting when boiled for a long time.
Scraps from greenbeans taste horrible in broth and make it very green. Fennel dominates the broth completely.
Potatoe scraps have no taste and just thicken the soup. Beet scraps colour and are too sweet.
So yeah, probably a million things i dont want in a standard broth.