Is human extinction inevitable? Is it possible to survive the expansion of the sun or entropy?

Is human extinction inevitable? Is it possible to survive the expansion of the sun or entropy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/juX75Nid6eg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. We are all going to die.
Get reckt pls.

>believing in the sun

Okay...
Theoretically...
No...
Practically...
No.

>entropy
WAKE ME UP
youtu.be/juX75Nid6eg

Thermodynamics dictates that heat death is inevitable. In isolated system, like in the universe, differences will eventually even out. Final temperature will be approximately 3K.

Will space then crunch back into itself?

>Is human extinction inevitable?

Nope, but we probably can't sit still forever. We will need to settle other planets and explore.

>Heat death/entropy

Our understanding of the universe comes from the 1960s (big bang, limited universe). There is much more to understand. Maybe there are other universes we can go to, other dimensions we can travel in, ways to manipulate time, ways to start universes, etc. I'm not ruling out our long term survival based on a 20th century understanding of the universe.

Oh I sure hope the first one we open isnt directly into war hammer 40k like conditions...

>open portal to new dimension.
>leads into the Warhammer universe
>get raped by Orks

>half of humanity gets butt fucked by Orks
>the other half gets lost to Chaos
>Whatever left gets shot out of a cannon FOR THE EMPEROR
Nah, for real tho at that point I can imagine we'd be so advanced we could turn them all into playdo if we cared

May not be inevitable but is very difficult that we become a level II civilization in the kardashov scale. Them is everything very easy we need to know how to make space habitats and how to controll fusion energy to survive the deth of our Sun (I know the deth of the Sun is not the same as it's expansion but our little star will not be there forever).

Not as humans.

AFAIK, yes. Eventual heat death of the universe. Thermodynamics is a bitch.

However, can someone with more physics knowledge pipe in? I recall reading something, potentially crackpot, that said because of the expansion of the universe, we might be able to extract energy from that process and avoid heat death.

Unfortunately, then there's also the problem of runaway expansion, which seems to be the likely outcome of our universe, and there's no avoiding that.

>Final temperature will be approximately 3K.
why 3K? i thought it is going to asymptotically approach 0K cos the universe will expand forever

No.

>Is it possible to survive the expansion of the sun or entropy?

>Le expanding universe meme
>Le heat death meme

I'm not 100% sure why. My physics teacher keeps saying that, so it, most likely, have some basis in reality. My amateur thinking says that since there is heat energy in the universe, it is not going to disappear, but instead it just gets distributed more evenly, so it is not going to be 0K.

>Maybe there are other universes we can go to, other dimensions we can travel in, ways to manipulate time, ways to start universes, etc. I'm not ruling out our long term survival based on a 20th century understanding of the universe.
I tend to agree with your line of thought on this matter user.

》I'm not ruling out our long term survival based on a 20th century understanding of the universe.

In my unimportant opinion, anyone who DOESN'T think this should an hero right now, because there is no point to your continued survival nor to your bringing new life into the world.

>because there is no point to your continued survival nor to your bringing new life into the world.
there is a point, cumming inside an unprotected pussy feels very good

thats motive enough to keep creating life

youre assuming theres a higher truth to life than trying to feel as good as possible as much as possible

No, its just a possibility
>Is it possible to survive the expansion of the sun or entropy?
No, but by the time the sun engulfs the solar system, we won't be humans if future species haven't gone extinct by then.
And there is no way to survive the heat death of the Universe. What happens after is the mystery. It would be cool if we came back.

>And there is no way to survive the heat death of the Universe. What happens after is the mystery. It would be cool if we came back.
that implies that you somehow know all rules of all universe

how do you know that 5 minutes after reading this post a new sun will appear into the sky injecting more energy and defeating entropy?

you just cant, science is a collection of things that most of the time are right
but if you use your brains and REAL logical thinking there is objectively literally you-are-an-idiot-if-you-dont-agree-with-me NO WAY to prove something isnt going to happen

I wouldn't qualify surviving 10 trillion years as inevitable extinction on the same order suviving a few thousand or million years. I'd say living until the last star dies qualifies as winning.

So no, I don't see extinction as inevitable.

implying you have any way of proving

or even

any way of merely indicating that theres a chance that

A GREAT RIVER OF ICE CREAM ATA TEM;PERATURE OF AT HOUSAND SUNS wont erupt from a suddenly appearing nostril in space in orbit around alpha centauri a few years from now therefore demostrating that the universe will not end and that new energey will be constantly created

i think that currently physics known is like 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of one half of a billionth of the real rules that dominate the unverses

Post ways we could avoid the heat death of the universe, Veeky Forums

haha and more hahas

the christians bleived god existed??THEIR SILLY IDEA OF A BIG UNIVERSE NOT HTHEM?
killedgone

and you
you wiht your smallpetty science
think the universe is youcontrolled and not grand object definer?

AN OCEAN TORMENT OF HAHAS TO YOUR MY DIEAR SIR

Heat death is speculation and likely false.

As the universe cools and expands it will dilutes into isolated cold islands where quantum effects can run rampant.

Build a million layer isolated dewar flask and live inside it with a cosy trickle-fusion heater and wait for the external universe to cool way beyond our best lab experiments.

The entire universe is now in a superposition.

Build an experimental rig that can only observe a fresh universe and let it probe the superposition space outside. Enjoy the brave new universe for another hundred trillion years.

Are you okay?

the sun death is a meme
we only need the moon, thats enough light for all of us !

I think you linked to the wrong post.

Even if mankind survives for all time, the universe will die, taking us with it.

It's all futile and inevitable.

Nah. The universe isn't a glass bottle with us trapped inside. it's more like a solid glass marble. It's made of something and we're part of that, meaning that we can manipulate the environment and thus the universe itself.

Thinking that we're limited to the macroscopic bulk matter world is to ignore every effort of technology. we'll reach down and change the structure until we have a steady state existence that can be sustained forever.

You mean interversal travel?
I believe it can be done, I just don't think we'll survive long enough to figure it out.

in approx 27 billion years when the sun evaporates and protons decompose into electrons and neutrons if the human race is still alive and not killed by a singularity i think we would have found a way to ascend into higher lifeforms by then, aka become gods or consciousness or the universe itself

or we would have just woken up from the simulation lol and are living the true life

entropy prevents anything ever reaching absolute 0

there is always motion

That is some dope bait you got there

We have to realise that our current knowledge of the universe is probaly way too limited for us to come up with a selfsustaining artificial universe.

Its not impossible to create a universe or atleast a small one in which we can expands. When we have the tools to palce atoms in certain order on a huge scale whilst have atleast a next to complete understanding of the all forces and laws of our universe it is possible.

The problem is OP, its all being decided on what humanity puts their effort in.

I would like to say that we will live forever, because we have been proven by the scientists before us that nothing is impossible

>interversal travel
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, what I suggest is that we can pretty much open a console and change the paramters of local space once we get sophisticated enough. Of course by that time we'll not be mammals but femotmachines, we won't need earth because we'll live in a world of microscopic quantum effects as opposed to one of enormous bulk matter and wasteful energy.

>talking all that bullshit but doesn't understand that interversal travel is a term used to describe traveling between universes
Go back to reading your sci-fi novels.
Jesus Christ.

>reading comprhension: zero
>inventing own terminology
Oh hi mr crackpot, sorry that I bothered to reply to your hallucinations.

Give any proof of anything you said being possible, nigger.

Christian humans will enter the pure space. Humans will not. The expansion of the sun is not more powerful than Mathematics and Science - neither is entropy.

>Is it possible to survive...entropy?

Even now humans are evolving. Eventually, there will be no more homo sapiens left and whatever is next will rule. That is a form of extinction.

We really don't know if the universe is an isolated system. We can only see as far as light as traveled. this area of the known universe may just be a small pocket. There may be many such pockets expanding. They may even interact on a scale we can't even conceive. Not dimensions, just more distance locations that had their own big bangs. Like raindrops on a windshield.

Creating a universe sounds cool