How can I monetize my pure math degree?

How can I monetize my pure math degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ask a literal actuary who works in manhattan anything

Identify and exploit patterns in the stock market.

Disrupt social media with mathematical abstractions

become a rapper and rap about maths

Or become a wrapper and create formulas to maximize efficiency with your wrapping paper

Do you enjoy being an actuary? Also, do you make 7 figures?

How many times a day do you take a cock up you're butt?

Its alright I guess. Im not planning to do this for life. I make 245k a year
I hate my boss, but coworkers are pretty chill

Make "exciting" youtube videos about math for dumb teenagers.

what exactly do you do everyday?
i cant help but think accounting or actuarial sciences are the most boring types of jobs in existence

its actually super fucking awesome

we are a firm that basically acts as consultants to various insurance/banks and investors

and so I just calculate a bunch of fucking probabilities all day among other house keeping shit. but basically probabilities and models

Is Veeky Forums really this filled with actuaries or is it just you posting over and over again? It seems like every day I see someone posting about how they're either going to become an actuary or they already are one.

you cant lol because quantum computing is now real and qubits will perform the most unimaginably difficult math in seconds making you obsolete

How many hours per week do you work? Is the 60-80 hour weeks a meme?

Is it worth it?

I do post here pretty often

I average 60-70

definitely not. but I have no clue what I want to do in life. so atleast this is better than being NEET while I try and figure out what I actually want to do

>I average 60-70
Do you not have interests outside of work? What do you do for fun?

I read up on the latest math and play dark souls 3

Finance

I suppose you can also

>Ask a literal financial software developer who doesn't work in manhattan anything.

So you have an idea of what I do, I literally just finished doing the basic design and implementation of an android app that calculates some stuff on the go for a loan company, had been doing this for the last 3 days. Now I have like 4 minutes left in the office and decided to browse Veeky Forums, I will probably have to answer from my phone, if anyone actually cares about what I do.

How can I switch from pleb-tier IT career into actuarity?

iunno. I got hired cuz I was total beast in math class during my undergrad and caught the attention of a friend of a friends dad who happens to be a higher up at my current firm

What do you value in life the most and how do you spend your money? I basically get 8k a year and 4k i just give away because i fancy nothing that is not free allready. East Europe, White.

>nepotism

Yes yes, I understand that that's how the world works. It's still depressing and wrong to hear it actually said out loud though. Although you also indicated ability.

>Win nobel prize
>Get genius grant
>Solve problems

How long did it take you to be a qualified actuary?

>be me currently second year out of highschool
>on my way to becoming actuary

You got there with a pure math degree? Did you have anything else particularly noteworthy on your resume?

>You got there with a pure math degree?

Pretty much. My only academic qualification is a degree in mathematics. Here we do not class math in undergrad as pure or applied, but I did all the pure math there exists. Safe to say, my day to day does not involve general topology... yet.

Would be nice if it did.

>Did you have anything else particularly noteworthy on your resume?

Nothing that impressive. I do have a good list of languages I know but I can safely tell you that this was not what got me the job because none of the languages I am and list as 'proficient at' are used by this company. And after all this time, about 3/4 of all the jobs I've done here do not involve languages I knew before getting the job.

Was talking to professors about jobs and stuff. He told me that his students who went into finance were interviewed deeply about mathematics. Prof believed that the finance can be taught, but the math is much harder to get to. Did you learn the actuary stuff on the job? Also, do you plan on continuing actuary work, or are you going to change careers eventually?

What was your GPA and how much do you think that mattered?

I'm not an actuary and I'm not even 100% sure about what actuary work entails.

The actuary is the other guy.

I just develop enterprise software for banks and companies in general.

Final GPA was around 3.8, I note that I am converting the number from a system that is graded from 0 to 3, not 0 to 4.

I was not once asked about my grades and after half a year here the topic has not come up even once.

I'd say that grades don't matter but I really want to believe otherwise. I mean, they knew my score, it is just that in the interview I was not asked about it.

This is exactly what anyone outside of Veeky Forums would tell you about these things.

Sell it on eBay

if it makes you feel better I grew up an orphan, so Im not some guy with a heritage of over 300 years of rich people.

Im 28 right now. I graduated university with honors in pure mathematics at 23. I also dicked around for 1-1.5 years. so about 3-4 years to get to where I am now.

Yeah, Ill switch eventually to something else

4.0 from columbia university

I dont spend my money. I just let it sit there and it kinda just piles up. I could make more if I wanted to but I dont really. I also dont like giving it away because I grew up an orphan and was treated like shit by my peers before people realized I was hella smart. So I dont feel like I owe anyone anything

>was treated like shit by my peers before people realized I was hella smart.
we have much in common OP

bls.gov/ooh/
^ Go find something there, you lazy cunt.

In short: you're fucked lol, why didn't you take a degree for a field that has an actual job tied to it.

Go for a PhD. 300k starting.

Go into crypto. Probably the only thing really pure math is used for.

And then... you woke up without legs.

Career advice goes in .

Fucking weeaboo degenerate.