Polymathy

How can I be a polymath Veeky Forums? Is still possible?
Advices, tips, sources...anything you might have.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/77330591
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First of all you have to get rid of emotions.

have an IQ > 180

be on talk shows as child

make legendary genius mathematicians fall to their knees and weep when they witness your potential to advance the human race

graduate MIT before 15

PhD before 18

do math on windows

This.

tl;dr being a polymath isn't possible today.

The fact you're asking the question is answer enough. You're worried about image. About success. People who make genuine progress in fields do it just because they love it. They don't care if they are a polymath or what tf their IQ is.

this guy's seen the movie

I'm worried about learning and thinking and taking action

I don't give a shit about success (I'm a fuckin loser anyway), I just wanna correlate the shit out of everything and see the universe "in many colours" when is normally monochrome to me, even if I know deep inside there's the chance.

Something like this but even better. Don't know how to explain the feeling, but it's pretty much this. My family says it's a fuckin waste of time, that I need to end my career and be responsible, but I can't wait for too long, I really wanna do it anyways, I need to do it.

I have lots of fears and I'm depressed as fuck, so the concentration might be a problem, but I'll make the effort for it.

Any advice is welcomed and deeply appreciated.

Got a better size of that mate?

Well first I would suggest three things.
1. Get your medication sorted out for depression. This step sucks but is necessary if you want to utilize your brain properly.
2. Treat your vehicle for your brain correctly, feed it and exercise it. Your body does a lot of work to keep you going and deserves respect.
3. Comb through popsci bullshit until you find a subject that interests you be it genomics or AI creation (although based on the whole correlate the shit out of everything AI seems more your speed).

Use this knowledge and your optimized mind and body to complete whatever tasks you find interesting to your satisfaction. The world is pretty monochrome and the colours you find are all in your mind. That's what drives most scientists, not waiting for a vial full of what should be DNA doing what should be ligation, not combing through code for hours looking for that damn semicolon. No it's the colours we paint our world in and our quest to find a new shade.

Read literature and philosophy.

I'm the top student in my Maths course at a top uni but my only source of joy is literature(history, canonical fiction, religion, philosophy, poetry).

I'm also morbidly depressed and don't attend uni, I just study at home and stay in touch with professors.

1)Stop shitposting on Veeky Forums
2)Go fucking study
3)???????
4)GRANTS AND PAPERS

>graduate MIT before 15
>PhD before 18

Are you implying this is still possible in today's' over-regulated society?
I don't think so.

Who are you guys talking about? Did he do anything or is he like Barnett?

Well, he's writing on windows for one.

>he's writing on windows
'Nuff said. Wow.

I don't wanna take meds. Somehow they let me worse than I was. I'll do the other ones; although my camp of action is medicine, I'll find one that fits for me

I already do this in my free time (alongside music, tv shows, anime and movies), but my free time is short, so it's difficult for me to keep doing these stuff.

About college, I did that for a while and it fucked me up real bad. Bad advice bro.

Yeah, I definitely must stop wasting my time on the internet. I spend like 6-8 hrs when I'm depressed here.

No. I have a video, but because of the size I can't post it here.

Keep giving advices, and thanks in advance.

How old are you user? I have the same desire as you but I think is too late for me, I'm 21 and I have dropped out of two majors now...

22, 23 in three months
Don't give up and fight until death if it is your dream. Resist and never give up.

announce it on quora user

Seek out and get your depression under check. That is the first step. Medication isn't needed, but that as well as psychotheraphy is your best bet

I´ve already gone to a psychiatrist because of this

He gave me antidepressants, but that didn't work. I felt like I was not me anymore. It was fine for a while, but later it fucked me up real bad. I quit the treatment and I don't wanna do that shit anymore.

Been fine since then. Not great always, sometimes I wanna kill myself, but I'm used to it and I never tried it, so that's good I guess.

It has been five years since then. I wanna see how much further I can go.

It will happen eventually, but for now I just wanna concentrate on this. It seems like a bright future in the middle of this...Well, it's my dream now.

If you have to ask, it's probably not your thing...

get the book: How to think like Da Vinci. Make a list of your interests and create a plan to study all of them

after you master undergraduate math, immediately take up chemistry. If you cant handle chem becoming a polymath isnt for you.

21 is still a young age. You have plenty of time through self study with hard discipline to become a great man/woman by your mid 30s. If you're having problems with employment a good tip is to learn at least two foreign languages, preferably one european dominant such as french/spanish and one asian such as russian, mandarin or cantonese. Imo Portuguese and mandarin will be essential to know within the next 15 years so get learning! Knowing a foreign language will double your employability and people will give you a chance if you lack a major

>How do I become one of the greatest minds of mankind bros?
>Is there like a youtube video or .jpg I can read?

Currently studying medicine and chemistry, but a work guide and some advice would be fine.

Even if it's impossible I'm gonna do it. As I said earlier, I´m not looking for fame or success. It's something personal. And it's not like I'm losing anything here. I will win something anyways.

Stop eating carbs.

Thanks! For now I'm studying chemistry and medicine because those are the ones that I can study without leaving my studies at college (a matter of time).

Anyways I'll keep this in mind. I love math and physics and it has been a while since I've used them properly. I used to love them in highschool, and although many years have passed, it's seems that the passion hasn't gone.

Really trying, but when depression or stress strikes it's difficult to get a hold of yourself.

Currently trying to follow pic related.
Sometimes living healthy is expensive desu.

WTF when I wrote "to be honest" (desu), it changed to "desu".

Welcome newfag, desu

Welcome to Veeky Forums, newfriend. You have discovered a word filter.
t b h turns into desu
senpai turns into senpai

First time on Veeky Forums, not on Veeky Forums desu =^)

Is there something like a pill for this? I don't feel like doing soic monk stuff.

Tbh senpai, candyass roodypoo

*tipping approaches infinity*

to be honest (desu)

Turn off the internet

Is this a hiro joke?

bump

What are the topics you wanna learn about? Do you have a list of which ones you wanna learn first?
Are you actually trying to do this or it's just something you wish you could do?
How do you organize your time to achieve each one of them?
How do you classify the subtopics you wanna learn and in which order do you study them? Do you have any difficulty doing it?

Not only OP, anyone can answer, I'm interested.

Just take your time and interest in different fields. How fucking hard is it?
The 2 things that are stopping you are your economic situation and your constant yearning for sex and love. If you can manage to maneuver these obstacles there's nothing stopping you from broadening your knowledge within the areas of your own choice.

My dad's a polymath and he's no different than anyone if anything it only drags him and the rest of the family down cuz
>"muh ideas"
>"muh 5-10k loans"
>thinks he'll become a millionaire through ridiculous inventions
Nowadays you're better off being another number than trying to be different

the age of polymaths is over, OP
you can't be declared a genius for drawing and discovering a cool shape anymore

>he thinks nutrition is a science

bellowingfemalehomosapiens

just be constantly curious about the world and devote most of your time to broading your knowledge about all the subjects that interest you, how hard is that

also don't even bother trying becoming polymath only for the sake of it, it won't work that way

Other fields exist beyond physics and maths you know. It is still perfectly possible to be a polymath you just have to float around in extremely new/amateur fields. So drones, robotics, botany, astronomy etc. Build a record breaking drone and robot, discover a new plant and a comet, wahey you're a polymath.

Excuse me for the question I'm going to ask but, is Bruce Dickinson a polymath?

>lead singer of HOF metal band
>created own beer company
>flies planes
>created own flight school
>author
>film writer
>created radio station
>competed in fencing internationally

I'd say definitely so

Check this out

vimeo.com/77330591

You might have to accept that you can't learn everything ever. No one has enough free time (even time in general) to be able to do that.

If you want, you can.

You'll never be a polymath. You're not smart enough.

but then its going to be a tai-lopez type of thing where your entire life is just going to be that. you can't be a polymath, that is an expert in all, if you have other things to do

OP here

Noone has been a real polymath sensu stricto. Not even Da Vinci, whom had help with some stuff (i.e. his friend Marcantonio della Torre for anatomical studies).

I knew since the beginning that if I was going to do this it was going to be the neverending story. I won't be able to know everything. I wish I could, it's my dream, and that's why I'm gonna do it. Because I'll die doing it, but I'll die happy for doing it.

A world where I can see everything with the eyes of the infinite. Where I can accept the walls as part of the whole, and not just as what it is standing right before my eyes.

I'm not doing it for the sake of it. I'm doing it because it's something that I feel deep inside it's as natural as being myself. I don't know how to explain it, but it's something like that.

I'm not going to put my intelligence as my enemy. Smart or not, that's not going to stop my will of doing it.

Science, no science... In my opinion the more limitations you put, the more narrow your insights become. Even if it's bullshit, I wanna know about it. 'Cause for me one idea is just another view of the whole, and a polymath needs to be open-minded to the possibilities. Sorry if we disagree on that.

Also, if my english sucks it's because it's not my first language. My apologies for that.

then just read up on everything. whatever you can find, whatever you hear about, search it up on google and read wikipedia articles/books on it

the same way everyone else did... have lots of free time to casually experience everything for yourself

with the access to material and information we have today, it's a simpler task than ever

>the cost of knowledge is free

Hehe... just you wait

First get good source of information. What you can do with your brain is limited by it's input. If you are fed bad input in various ways that can drag you down. Anything that would distract or confuse or toy with your emotions to make you doubt your ability or alter/undermine your passion to learn.

Jacob turdnett

Many people get distracted by emotions like fear, love, anger and focus a lot more on safety, security, social status, material wealth gathering rather than feeding their curious brain. So for them it's kind of hard.

Then OP is fucked

See