Is dark roast coffee a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UI16ViddCT4
youtube.com/watch?v=khlbF2PTsr4
legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no its better then light roast

Medium is best

No, but it's usually used for espresso-based drinks since the typical coffee flavor is strong enough to be able to get through all the shit that's added (dairy, sugar/syrup, etc).

yes
true

No
Wrong

tbqh I have tried many different types of coffee and I find that a light roast pour over is still the best

samefag

I like it better, so it's not a meme, but I doubt it's right for everyone. It's like the same reason I used to burn my marshmallows as a kid.

my wife loves it!

It mutes all complex flavors in coffee; so it is in fact a meme. City/city+ is where most coffee's should be roasted.

>city
This is the kind of pretension I frequent Veeky Forums for.

when timmy's started pushing this dark roast stuff. i tried it, didn't notice that much of a difference. but they kept pushing it. the money they spent on the commercials and everything. then you do research and find out dark roast is inferior coffee, timmys lost the contract for the beans they get and then starting using these dark roast beans because they were cheaper.

Interesting. Gotta try it to see for myself.
But I trust Timmy more with coffee, than the disgusting, overpriced starbucks stuff.

Starbucks is the lowest level of acceptable-tier. Better if they have a Clover.

To be fair it's actual grading names. Light roasts are best either way.

It's pretty much interchangeable with medium, the only reason to use it in casual conversation is to try and sound smart.

Oh right, I was speaking in general, if you're dropping those terms in casual conversation you're probably being a dick.

Also I protest light roasts being the best. I hate acidity in coffee.

>city
>interchangeable with medium
Wrong.

Probably not true. And if you do, you may have autism. You probably couldn't even describe accurately what acidity in coffee is contributing to flavour.

>if you don't like acidity you have autism

I honestly don't know what you mean by this. It sounds like you're memeing.

>starting using these dark roast beans because they were cheaper

Sounds like they switched to robusta beans, which are widely considered shit tier for everything except espresso blends.

What's the deal with the hate Starbucks gets? I've just started going (here in NZ) and everytime I've been it's been fantastic.

The coffee is never burnt or anything. Can't be 'hate' against a chain store, considering all the fast food restaurant threads on here, so what is it?

It's easier to be a coffee hobbyist than a burger hobbyist. Coffee threads on Veeky Forums are where people come to chat about their thousand dollar grinders.

I buy starbucks light roast beans because they are very consistent and I don't feel like waiting for shipping

Stale vacuum-packed beans, sugary as fuck coffee.

You can actually order many types of coffee there: black, varieties other than "house blend," various brew methods. I think most people just don't know how though; any many who are aware already make it (better) at home anyway.

It's not pretentious to use the proper terminology.

There are many cases where this statement is outright wrong.

I sincerely think that some of the Starbucks Reserves, brewed with the Clover, is a really good cup of coffee and worth the price you pay.

Give us an example.

>It mutes all complex flavors in coffee; so it is in fact a meme. City/city+ is where most coffee's should be roasted.

And tbqhonestio famolam, robusta is shit for espresso blends too. Only reason you need it is to make getting a crema ez mode. Can easily get the same nice crema with good technique in my experience.

Doesn't sound pretentious to me. Maybe you're just too pleb.

Going to Starbucks now. Usually get a cappa.

Any recommendations what I should try instead?

this is objective fact.

with dark roast you are mainly just going to taste "dark roast flavor". with light roasts you get a lot more of the natural taste of the coffee and can actually taste the variance in different beans without reading the flavor notes first.
dark roasts are still good with milk or as cold brew though.

>What's the deal with the hate Starbucks gets?
Can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's their absolute ubiquitousity in big cities. No matter if you are in London, San Francisco or Vancouver, you normally have at least 3 starbucks in 3 minutes walking distance in the inner city. And everyone is walking around with a fuckin cup of starbucks """coffee""" all the time.
And they are overpriced.
Sure, their coffee is OK (their coffee, not their sugar with flavours and a bit of coffee), but nowhere near as good, as what kind of money they are asking for it.

You're describing their selling point, though. No matter if you're in London, San Fran, or Vancouver, you always know that you can go to Starbucks and get a decent cup of coffee. Sure, you're overpaying, but that's the price for not taking a risk and getting stuck with a really shitty cup of coffee.

I also think it's worth noting that Starbucks is probably most responsible for the general public, in the US at least, caring at all about coffee quality. Prior to their expansion, pretty much everyone just got convenience store shit. Starbucks has probably actually helped the number of small great coffee shops grow, here in the states.

French Roast, sure, but there are dark roasts that aren't quite so heavy where you can still tell the differences between beans. Plus, I like the dark roast flavor.

1. Overpriced
2. On a scale of 1-5 the coffee is maybe a 2
3. Everybody who goes there is a teenage girl who orders an 8,000 calorie milkshake and refers to it as "coffee"

youtube.com/watch?v=UI16ViddCT4

youtube.com/watch?v=khlbF2PTsr4

This commercial is always such good fapfuel

>Overpriced
But all coffee is arguably overpriced.

>On a scale of 1-5 the coffee is maybe a 2
"Maybe a 2"
Yeah, whatever.

>Everybody who goes there is a teenage girl who orders an 8,000 calorie milkshake and refers to it as "coffee"
Literally not true.

Why waste your time writing a stupid reply? You could have worked on a troll reply instead of that shit you wrote.

Don't be too mean, he probably believes it.

I honestly can't taste the difference between coffee brands or any sort of coffee. They all have a beany aftertaste, I drink coffee only to suppress hunger, I don't notice any "wake up" effects. Is that a meme among angsty teens?

If I wanted taste, I'd drink tea.

You have to be drinking shitty coffee, because caffeine is not that subtle.

caffeine is caffeine. I'm asking about the """taste""" that coffee snobs are after. I do get jittery from caffeine if I drink too much, but I don't use it to wake up.
Honestly, tea is better in terms of taste. Don't seem all the hubbub surrounding coffee.

dark roasts have less caffeine

And I was only referring to the wake up effects.

But yes, it's also pretty easy to tell a difference in taste between different roasts. Tea, almost across the board, tastes like grass to me and I struggle to drink it. Coffee took some time to enjoy, so maybe it's the same with tea, but I really enjoy black coffee now, and don't feel like switching.

If starbucks was a clothing item it would the department store graphic tee of the fashion world.

>light roasts you get a lot more of the natural taste of the coffee
This is why bad beans are dark roasted. To mask the badness. And by bad I mean sour.

Surely there are some beans where the roast flavor complements the natural flavors of the bean. I'd imagine a darker roast would work well there.

>sour

I had a cup of c'bou coffee today. light roast, guatamala blend.

It was quite sour.

I usually like a light roast, but this was not that great.

I went to the soft server ice cream store next door and made lovey eyes at the qtpie behind the counter. I asked her "gorgeous, would you mind if I augmented my coffee with a bit of the sauce?" She said she didn't mind. and i dumped a bunch of hot fudge into it and that made it drinkable.

You're probably wondering if we banged after that. We did not. I am a gentleman and the high caffiene content of the coffee was making my bowels spasm.

Yeah, sure. Sorry I didn't mean to imply that all dark roasts are shit. But dark roasting is an easy way to disguise a bad bean. Like overcooking red meat.

My regular morning 3-bean blend has two dark roasted beans with one light roast.

Dark roast isn't a meme, pretty sure there are people that enjoy it, but you should know that dark roast is usually used for lower quality beans, resulting in a lower quality coffee.

This shit is all I drink.

The actual correct answer, for those of you who don't know (i.e., for those of you in this thread), is it depends on the bean

Dark Roast is literally the best

You must be some low test pussy who gets a light roast and fills it with sugar and milk

Love me some of that hazelnut.

that doesnt make any sense you people always say high test manly lifters drink milk

ur a bean

Most of the ones I've been gone to also use very old beans and it shows in the flavour of the coffee. And they put way too little coffee in anything that isn't an expresso or americano.
Although recently I have been asking for an extra shot of coffee in my cups, and now it usually tastes better. But this doesn't stop the coffees from being highly overpriced sugary milkshakes.

Starbucks is a big well known chain, which is convenient and makes me go there from time to time. But I'd rather support a smaller business if I am given the opportunity.

Every organism is different.

But coffee always gives you a slight extra boost thanks to the caffeine, but that doesn't mean it will wake you up if you slept too little or feel too tired. Having a proper breakfast is much more effective for that.

if you're buying coffee out and about you're paying over the odds and purely for convenience

I like my coffee strong so it's fine

I agree most are but how does this effect me getting a £1.50 coffee when I'm out doing shit?

So what's the easiest way to cold brew?

Should I just dump that coffee in the jar and strain it when I poor if or should I try those cold brew tea bag meme things they sell?

>that chocolate to milk ratio
Hipster graphic art is a market cornered by idiots.

I used to be a store superviser at Starbucks, AMA

>order coffee
>black, large
>it's cold when I get home
>it has cream and sugar in it
you fucking idiot bitch why
why the fuck did you do this to me

I think they'd be more helpful or informative if they included measurements.

All of these espresso infographics make it look like baristas simply stack the ingredients on.

coffee in of itself is a meme

It's curious to think that someone got the idea of smashing a bunch of bitter green beans and poured it into heated water.

you're correct, city or dark city is optimum

welcome comrade, would you like an espresso?

The myth goes that some goatherd observed his animals getting high after eating wild coffee plant cherries. Selective breeding and processing techniques ensued. It's not implausible.

i kek'd because.

Simple: The darker the roast, the more milk/cream+sugar you're supposed to add. Also, the darker the roast, the more similar different varieties of coffee taste because you're mostly just tasting the burnt bitterness, meaning that darker roasts are better for flavour consistency, which is important to a lot of brands.

Medium is sort of the happy medium between coffee that is just barely worth drinking straight, and a darker consistent flavour that is easy to reproduce on large scale.

Light roast is best roast if you are drinking coffee plain, provided you are prepared to deal with some actual variety in your coffee flavour, as the differences between beans will stand out.

Dis. A common misconception is that dark roast has moar caffeine and tastes better overall. Really the only difference is that they burn the beans, instead of letting them roast to perfection like a medium blend.

>Overpriced
>But all coffee is arguably overpriced
Yeah i also don't really think that critique holds up. Most local roasters and coffee shops charge even more for a product which *usually* ends up being superior. Sort of unrelated: In suburban and rural US (at least in the Northeast) just having an espresso machine is kind of a specialty. Pretty much the only large scale chains which have them are Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. Sadly, DD's is way more common around here. I'm grateful for the one locally owned coffee shop 20 minutes away from my house, but I wouldn't be disappointed if a new Starbucks cropped up close by.

Have to agree about pricing, Starbucks is no more expensive than any other coffee shop I have been to that offers actual coffee.

Starbucks is overpriced compared to making better quality coffee at home, but the same can be said for all food products and for obvious reasons.

the darker the roast, the less caffeine the coffee will have

>city roast

legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast

For anyone else who hadn't encountered this term before

Sort of, but the main difference between light and medium is mainly mouthfeel. Aka Body.

I've been drinking this Hawaiian blend from Lavazzo. I'm not a coffee connoisseur but it's p good compared to the options I have, being waffle house, sheetz, I think shell might serve coffee, Starbucks.

How do I into better coffee, senpaitachi?

In my country a small cup on Starbucks costs the equivalent of 5 bucks, in other big chains it costs $3; while a small cup of coffee in other small coffee places cost around 1 or 2 bucks, and they range from convenient store-tier or fresh well made coffee.

At least for me Starbucks is definitely overpriced.

Overpriced and often poor quality for the price. McDonald's honestly has better coffee for a lower price.

1) Get good burr grinder
2) Get a pour over, french press, or aeropress.
3) Get Freshly roasted beans, locally or online. Happy mug is pretty fucking good for the money.
4) Drink cofe

The flavor in coffee comes from the oils which are present in beans that are not over-roasted or stale. You have probably seen dark coffee beans that are shiny, that is the oil literally seeping out of the beans and evaporating. After a month there is a significant decrease in the amount of this oil present. In ground coffee, there is a significant amount gone in around 15 minutes. Starbucks over-roasts low quality beans and lets them go stale and then over-extracts them during brewing.

For the average person that is not a coffee hobbyist, this doesn't really matter. If you enjoy putting cream and sugar in your coffee, there is nothing wrong with Starbucks necessarily. The cream and sugar serve as a body to most people that simply want a coffee flavored sugar drink or some sort of milkshake type thing with syrups and flavoring.

Some people are interested in what the bean itself can provide. When specific varieties of coffee are grown by farms in specific ways, they yield specific tastes. When roasted lightly, they keep the majority of the oil containing the flavor. Different washing methods, in other words ways that the coffee has it's fruit husk removed, give completely different flavor profiles. Many companies put a lot of work into preserving the essence that unadulterated coffee can provide, and thus many people enjoy seeking out the flavors of properly made coffee.

Hawaii is not a place where proper growing or processing methods are practiced. Look into Africa or South America.

You slap some text on that image boy and we'll talk about memes - if memes is what you is looking for.

>getting lost in the sauce

Watch out. You're dangerously close to triggering some coffee flavorologist who will sperg out with all his scientific data about how 100% of coffee's flavor comes from dissolved solids.

Good if you dont want as much caffeine as light roast

Is calling things memes a meme?

contrary to popular belief, the darker roast the coffee the less caffeine it is likely to have.
the caffeine is destroyed in the roasting process

looking for a real pick me up? lighter roasts are a safer bet

Dark roast is pretty good if you have some good beans.

French roast is gross and tastes like rotten fruit, no matter the quality of the bean.

>muh solids

or just have a double instead of a single.

fuck's wrong wit u?

like, in general?

I mostly just lack self esteem which causes me to be lazy and underachieve because quiet failure is more appealing than putting myself out there and letting people down

You're smarter and deserve better. The key to success is playing dumb so people don't expect much from you. Then it takes little effort to impress those people. Plus they'll be more relaxed in your presence because they'll be less intimidated by your intelligence and will talk freely amongst themselves, in your presence, and reveal their true nature.

But that's beside the point. Where can I buy gluten free degreaser to clean my bicycle chain?