projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core#Second_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit#MIT_Bio-Suit
youtube.com/watch?v=EtyNMlXN-sw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

women

niggers

nigger women

>spacecraft maneuvering in space like airplanes flying through an atmosphere.

>space combat that looks like fighter jets dogfighting in an atmosphere.

Star Wars is probably the worst offender. I wish these people would spend 10 minutes to learn about orbital mechanics.

humanoid aliens

THIS
Also FTL

aliens with fucking bipedal human anatomy

Bad story telling

Reaction-less drive.

SJW nonsense shoe horned into the plot.

>I wish these people would spend 10 minutes to learn about orbital mechanics.
>these people
The film producers or the audience?

>humanoid aliens
>aliens with fucking bipedal human anatomy

THIS.
Even the best sci-fi assumes we can all breath the same air, tolerate the same gravity, same ambient lighting, etc.

And honorable mention goes to every show/movie where all the aliens speak English.
(I'm looking at you, Star Trek)

FTL, but also slower-but-still-a-significant-fraction-of-the-speed-of-light travel. Spaceships that travel 50% of the speed of light are not in any way possible.

You're damn right on that one. Real life space combat would essentially be impossible, as all you would have to do to successfully evade 99% of all detected incoming projectiles would be to give a very small thrust laterally and wait. Space combat would more than likely revolve around who is the first to be spotted, and finding a way to get a weapon or projectile very close to the enemy without being detected. Long rant short, spaceships fighting with each other is basically not going to happen in the long term.

>Spaceships that travel 50% of the speed of light are not in any way possible.
U wot?
Sure, hitting individual hydrogen atoms would be like hard radiation, so there's that...
But accelerating itself shouldn't be impossible.
A matter-antimatter Orion drive should be able to reach 0.5c.
And God only know what we'll be able to do a century from now.

>God knows what we'll do a century from now...
Nothing? Most technology you see now had a low-tech precursor before it. Cars had wagons. Planes had ornithopters. We have rockets, sure... but we JUST recently made them. A century from now we'll have advanced rockets, maybe something with reusable solar-system travel capabilities... but probably not 0.5c spaceships.

It only takes one year at 1g to reach 0.9c

>where all the aliens speak English.
>Star Trek
They don't? They have translators
> mass replicators
> ftl
> post-scarcity
but universal translator is where you draw the line? :^)

combat in SW is suppose to mimic WWII battles...even though actual battleship to battleship combat only happened like once.

What do you think of Battlestar combat?

That's 1g of ACCELERATION.

They pretty clearly said that when they made star wars they did this on purpose and were completely aware that this is not how it could actually work.

>the entire book's/show's/movie's plot is centered around a scientific myth

If someone tries to tell me Lucy is a good film one more time I'm going to pull an Adam lanza desu

Isn't there quite a bit of evolutionary research that implies that having four limbs and being bipedal are highly conducive to having what is needed for advanced societies to develop?

If there was it would have taken from a terrible small sample size.
and regardless there can be more or less limbs involved with many more or different applications. Like the tentacle of a squid, or the "arms" of a mantis.

>probably not 0.5c spaceships.
Perhaps, but that's a far cry from
>Spaceships that travel 50% of the speed of light are not in any way possible.

On the flip side:
>It only takes one year at 1g to reach 0.9c
One YEAR????
Google "specific impulse".
One year... lol.

Sure, no, I get what you're saying. I just don't see that developing as soon as 100 years. That's, what... three generations tops?

We'll probably get 0.1c at best. Still pretty fucking amazing... but we have to crack the fuel problem first.

>Things you see in science fiction
>science fiction
>science fiction
>science fiction

>Star Wars is probably the worst offender
>combat in SW is suppose to mimic WWII battles
>when they made star wars

Daily reminder that Star Wars is sword-and-sorcery fantasy, NOT sci-fi (despite the spaceship trappings).

lol depth star check mate

>That's, what... three generations tops?
Four or five.

Compare to where we were 100 years ago.
Or maybe 200.
And even if we had 0.5c spacecraft today, we probably won't live long enough to see any scientific results beyond a new batch of floating rocks to name.

Well, the fastest man-made object only goes 0.00023c (Helio 2 probe). We have a ways to go before we reach 0.1c.

>Well, the fastest man-made object only goes 0.00023c (Helio 2 probe). We have a ways to go before we reach 0.1c.
We haven't even tried to make an interstellar probe yet.
What was the fastest car on Earth in 1850?

>We haven't even tried to make an interstellar probe yet.
But we have? One of them even made it to interstellar space.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_probe
>There are five interstellar probes: Voyager 1, Voyager 2, Pioneer 10, Pioneer 11 and New Horizons. As of 2015, Voyager 1 is the only probe to have actually reached interstellar space. The other four are on interstellar trajectories.

An excellent site that delves into the realities of space travel, combat, etc.
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

Have you tried The Black Cloud by Hoyle ? It's p. good story and I found it realistic (plus it was written by an astrophysicist)

That movie pissed me off so fucking much.

Biofag with a geofag wife here.

Geologists love to hate "The Core". The grad students at my wife's university have a drinking game where you take a drink every time it makes no sense. Nobody can finish the movie.

My pet peeve is oddly specific; it's when a pathogen "evolves" and suddenly every copy of exhibits the new trait simultaneously. This is most common in those silly "plague spreader" games where you try to wipe out the world.

>sound effects in space
>main character "inventing" elements (I'm looking at you, Ironman)

>implying there aren't man-made elements
Granted, I know it's a side-effect of nuclear fission, but still... it's not THAT far fetched.

> implying a new one would have a half life longer than a second
it's pretty far-fetched.

Look at the pattern of the period table. The half-life goes down, then circles around again and goes back up. It's cyclic.

There's some predictions that, should we manage to add a line to the period table, the elements will return to being stable agai--
>Americium.
Nevermind. There's one that proves you wrong immediately.

He invented Americium?

you're talking about the island of stability right?

Americium is a man-made element with a half-life much longer than a second.

And yes.

I guess the main issue I have is

>inventing stable elements

also the entire scene with him just making it without any shielding and using a wrench bugged the hell out of me

Well, he has magical and ill-define pulsar technology that he's using in the shot. Who knows what the fuck it does? :^)

But yeah, that scene was bullshit. I'll give you that one.

Reminds me of this:
> Under Slotin's unapproved protocol, the only thing preventing this was the blade of a standard straight screwdriver, manipulated by the scientist's other hand. Slotin, who was given to bravado, became the local expert, performing the test on almost a dozen occasions, often in his trademark blue jeans and cowboy boots, in front of a roomful of observers. Enrico Fermi reportedly told Slotin and others they would be "dead within a year" if they continued performing it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core#Second_incident

Capeshit isn't science fiction

Vibratium shields that don't just immediately melt, also ones that exist.

Artificial gravity

it has a lot of scifi elements considering most of them are aliens or became super heroes by science.

The fact that a couple small pieces of metal will immediately kill you if moved into the right configuration is crazy.

His screwdriver slipped. Scientists in the room said they saw a flash of blue light. The only thing that saved them (and the rest of the project) was Slotin's quick thinking in putting the screwdriver back. Of course, it was much too late for him.

Pretty much. Not the first time someone killed themselves on the Demon Core, either. You would have thought scientist would have learned the first time.

yeah well sometimes it takes missing limbs and a bodiless sibling and a mutant corpse and a gang of supermutants to realize the danger of nuclear alchemy

bravo.

>Genetically-engineered whatever
>"we made it female so it would be more docile and easier to control."

gonna let my autism shine on this one
>fire in space
>lasers behaving like projectiles
>artificial gravity that doesn't involve rotating rings
>starship battles where combatants are only a few km away from each other
>aerodynamic spacecraft
>wings on spacecraft
>any sort of handheld energy weapon without a fuckhuge battery pack the character has to lug around
>aliens being humanoid
>aliens being bipedal
>aliens communicating through sound waves
>aliens communicating through sound waves which are audible with human ears
>aliens seeing in the visible light spectrum
>every planet has essentially the same gravity
>all aliens breathe the same atmosphere
>the sandstorm from "the Martian"
>weapons fired from spacecraft not causing acceleration to the craft that fired it
>sound waves in space
>thin walled space suits (latex like)
>no time delay for communications systems
>people surviving outside of a spacecraft by holding their breath
>basically everything about star wars
>made up elements to justify scifi nonsense
>made up forms of energy to justify scifi nonsense

that's all I can think of for now but it is by no means everything that triggers me about scifi

>>no time delay for communications systems
Ooh, yeah, this is a good one. Even "hard" scifi without FTL spaceships often has FTL communication.

nice FMA reference

>sci-fi is my trigger

honestly it pretty much is.
I used to love Sci-fi, and in fact it is what got me into science.
but the then I actually started learning about science and it completely ruined my ability to enjoy any of this stuff

Can't dodge a photon beam, at least initially. Make it gamma rays, blast the crew to hell and wait until the ship is dead inside. There can be detectors on board, but all that would amount to is:

>"Captain, we've been hit by a deadly dose of radiation. It's been an honor."

Sure you can. Just stay out of the way of the emitter

You'd need to know where every enemy is before even the first shot is fired, and then track where his weapons are pointing (which can be obscured by basically any material, given that gamma rays don't care). How would you accomplish that?

Whoops only read the first part of your post
> track where his weapons are pointing
This is the future right?
I'm sure machine vision will be better by then

>>We haven't even tried to make an interstellar probe yet.
>But we have? One of them even made it to interstellar space.

>, Voyager 1 is the only probe to have actually reached interstellar space

They're counting the heliopause as the edge of "interstellar space" as though there were a city limits sign floating along out there.
And these probes aren't headed for a particular star as part of their missions. They're just drifting along because what else where they going to do?
If we were trying to make an actual interstellar probe, it would be going a lot faster.

Scenes in which actors talk science/engineering shit real fast to give the audience the feeling that the character is a genius.

Or the mandatory whiteboard in the scientist's office with random equations scribbled on it. The more greek letters, the better.

Definitely trying to explain everything by quantum physics

>I have never heard of EM-drive

Fuggin' GG

when they go in and out of air locks like pressure means nothing

>>artificial gravity that doesn't involve rotating rings
>aliens being humanoid
>aliens being bipedal

You're an idiot.

>artificial gravity that doesn't involve rotating rings
thats ok
>aliens being humanoid
this one is retarded.
>aliens being bipedal
this one is incredily unoriginal and cheap
thats ok too
thats another cheap shit.
biological beings developing sight is quite common

>thin walled space suits (latex like)
This has been tried in the past (unsuccesfully), but there is recent research into it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit#MIT_Bio-Suit

Biofag here.
The eye has evolved independently multiple times and generally sticks to the same specrum of light. This is because biological materials are damaged by absorbing high energy wavelengths, and lower spectrum light is too low frequency to produce clear images. This is why pit vipers overlay the infrared images the form with their pit organs on their normal sight when its processed by the brain.
So basically if an animal, extraterrestrial or otherwise, has photo receptors they're going to be for a range of the visible light spectrum.

>>weapons fired from spacecraft not causing acceleration to the craft that fired it

What if the rear thrusters fire at the same time at the weapon is fired, cancelling any force.. oh wait.. I see a problem here.

>yfw I just crushed the ship

Nevermind

star wars isn't really science fiction, it's more of a drama/action movie. you could call it high science fantasy, but the story could be then same scaled down to real technology

Honestly, physics students are the worst people in the world to watch movies with. For them, movies are an exercise to catch as many physically impossible things as they can and relay these mistakes to those around them as a show of mental superiority. God forbid a scientist should be actually shown on screen. I wonder why cops and doctors don't get so pissy about being constantly misrepresented for the sake of drama?

>I wonder why cops and doctors don't get so pissy about being constantly misrepresented for the sake of drama?

I don't know about cops, but I certainly do have friends in the medical fields that certainly do get bothered about dramatized science as well.
You probably just don't see it as much because I'd wager there's more scifi movies than there are medical ones.

Are you saying it has nothing to do with earths atmosphere and Ecology?
because if so I'm going to need an additional planet to prove your hypothesis.

>> Sun's blackbody flux peaks in dead center of visible light range
>> All living things on earth with sight should probably have evolved such that their senses somehow take advantage of this
>> Being a biofag and not even mentioning

This is actually theoretically possible due to quantum entanglement, or, "spooky action at a distance." When affected particles react to change instantly regardless of distance. Orsen Scott Card used and described this very well with his ansible. Would take a long time to set up the system by transporting the entangled particles at sub light speeds though.

You DO realize that the entire point of airlocks is to equalize the pressure so it basically does mean nothing... right?

people treating teleporters as anything but half cloning machine half suicide booth

Fellow Biofag,just realised that too

Now I'm going to be annoyed at Plague Inc.

Centrifuges pal

To the credit of star trek, all of the main species share a common ancestry (some ancient alien race seeded all of their planets with life), so looking similar is forgivable, assuming that the ancient aliens choose similar planets to seed.

If they just have really good translators, then it all checks out.

It's not exactly useful for real time communication if you have to set up the entangled particles and then move them apart from each other.

You can't send information through quantum entanglement though. If you could, you could send yourself a message in the past or do other casualty breaking things.

no

what's the purpose of those tractor clarms
pickin up tree trunks???
if so shouldn't it have a ton more muscle mass
jeezz

frozen clouds.

You dumb mother fucker
youtube.com/watch?v=EtyNMlXN-sw

Fiery explosions / sound in space

Every woman is a perfect sexy teen spacebarbie.

No body is fat, nobody is ugly.

Future is today

Without using rotational motion

Alternate reality

Back to tumblr.