So I've recently become aware that there are cheeses that can be pan-fried. This looks delicious...

So I've recently become aware that there are cheeses that can be pan-fried. This looks delicious, and I'd like to try it. Provided I cannot find Halloumi, what are some other good frying cheeses?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviera
youtube.com/watch?v=1M1RB2wDVLA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrniki
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Feta

Fresco/paneer.

Kraft American singles

What are the characteristics of cheeses that can be pan-fried/roasted? They are typically soft but not crumbly, yeah? Probably couldn't do it with a hard cheese and have it turn out?

Parmesan

This, I usually make my own paneer. And it's gorgeous. Just buy a lot of full fat milk preferably directly from the farm and no pasteurization. Bring to a simmer add in lemon juice. About one lemon per liter. Wait until it starts to curdle. Then add a shit ton of salt. Then press out the whey with a cheese cloth. Put some heavy books on it that you don't need like a Bible, Ikea guide or a Quran. Wait for at least 2 hours. Then cut it into cubes or small slabs like OP's picture. Cover it with some tandoori spices. Don't use the expensive ones buy the cheap ones with the chemicals instead, you'll thank me later. Let it marinade for a few minutes and when the oil is hot fry it. You're going to be in for a nice treat.

That's really fucking interesting. Just curious, where did you learn to do this? Did you read up on it?

Nigga ain't nobody got time for that. Plus then your cheese will taste like lemon. I made my own goat cheese with basically the same method and it was equal to store bought quality and volume for the price after you consider milk/cheesecloth. just took an hour of my time away. Didn't even save money. I guess it works if you don't have any decent stores nearby, but if you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't expect homemade cheese to be any better than store bought (from a quality brand of course)

Cheddar is a good one. It makes a nice crust. I like to put some shredded cheese in the pan the pour the eggs over it for an omelette. Crispy cheese crust outside of omelette.

Chief John?

juustoleipƤ

OP, halloumi yes, but if you're in the US, there's a more easily found selection of latino cheese that are even labelled "queso" aka cheese, "para freir" for frying. From colombia to argentina to mexico, it's a yummy side or appetizer to fry a thick slice of it until bubbly crispy edged. I like to cook it in olive oil. In a latin restaurant, if it's served, such as steak restaurant, it might be served alongside or with a garnish of a pickled cabbage salad, that has a simple white vinegar, lime, carrot kind of flavor profile. Salvadoreans call it curtido. It's slightly fermented, kind of the latin sauerkraut, very fresh though. The vinegar cuts the richness of the fried cheese.

>What are the characteristics of cheeses that can be pan-fried/roasted? They are typically soft but not crumbly, yeah? Probably couldn't do it with a hard cheese and have it turn out?
Fresh semi-soft. It's squeaky rubbery cheese without being actually brine kept or water packed.
Parmesan actually does make lovely lacey crisps if you fresh grate it in a bit of a pile, and heat until melted. It firms up when cooled into a kind of cracker of cheese. It doesn't really brown though, just changes form and loses some of the pungency that makes it so valuable when fresh.

I was just about to post this. They usually have a couple of varieties in the mexican refrigerated section. It's cheaper than halloumi and I may even prefer it. Try it with lemon juice and oregano.

Whey cheeses such as paneer don't melt and thus are good for frying.

I need some queso now!

>juust

Fuck off to /tv/, meme man.

Thanks boss, I'll check for some of this Latin American cheese when I go shopping this weekend.

Hnng

>shredded cheese

really? I've got some here and i wanted to try this with some eggs tonight/tomorrow

how do i keep cheese from sticking though?

>how do i keep cheese from sticking though?
new nonstick frying pan
sil-pat
parchment paper

Whoa, i never knew you could use parchment paper in a pan. i always assumed it would just melt. I will have to try it

Graviera
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviera

Hnng-ification.Org-anization, amIrite, myNegro?????

Every time I see it on the menu, I get it and eat the whole thing.
Too bad it's difficult to replicate at home.

holy shit user you have opened my eyes

You watched this didn't you

youtube.com/watch?v=1M1RB2wDVLA

Yeah, I make my own. I just throw milk in a pan, raise the temperature to between 180 and 190 Fahrenheit, take off the heat and stir in lemon juice or vinegar until it curdles enough. How much is enough? Good question. Then I let it sit for 30 minutes and strain through a flour sack cloth. Press into a tupperware.

Make patties out of cottage cheese.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrniki
but with minimum floor possible

Tvorog is barely even cheese.

Actually no I didn't. Lel

It's really not.
Just batter up some kasseri by dipping it in milk then flour (you can do this more than once for a thicker crust)
Then throw down some olive oil in a hot ban and brown both sides.
You can set it on fire by throwing some bourbon on it and taking it off the flame to set it on fire. Honestly though it's not needed.
Just brown it in the pan and smother it in lemon.
Been making this shit since I was 9.

Is grilled ham and cheese the GOAT easy food recipe of all time?

That white cheese they got at the tiendas. My mom grew up on Costa Rica and they just call it farmers cheese. A pan fried 1/4 inch thick slice on a toasted tortilla is dank.