Ribs ribs ribs

When I'm doing ribs should I always remove the silverskin?

I try to do the thing with the knife and grabbing it with a paper towel but I always botch it and have to pull it off it tiny bits, it's a massive ballache.

Also, if anyone has good recipes for ribs I'd like to hear them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7M0I1SiLAIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wz7WHAjxDxk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're supposed to suck it off with the suction of your lips. Always make sure you have a good seal before sucking, or else it will tear. But if done right, it'll come off in one piece.

No, it keeps moisture inside.

I remove it, but there's a restaurant in my city that has won several championships and they leave it on.

The trick is to get 1/4 inch of it lifted up top to bottom to create a handle. Then get your paper towel on it and try to pinch it uniformly. If you pinch in the middle, you're going to put all the pressure there and it's going to be like opening a box of crackers with the little perforated zip thing. If you do it right, you can get it all in one pull. So fucking satisfying. Another tip is better quality ribs. There's less damage to it.

This guy does a decent job, but I would make some adjustments. Don't use soo's method. You will get temperature peaks in my experience. I prefer the fuse method. You will always have the exact amount of heat beginning to end. And you can keep it going infinitely. Just add charcoal to the end that's not burning. It will go in a circle forever (assuming you empty the ash).

youtube.com/watch?v=7M0I1SiLAIQ

Another benefit I forgot to add...

With the fuse method you can time release the smoke by putting the wood chunks at intervals along the fuse. You only want to smoke the meat at the beginning, though.

I like to light the fuse, let the smoker warm up, put in the meat, and then shortly after that my fuse has caught up with the wood chunks and there's smoke. It's like barbecue dominoes.

>You're not going to taste the mustard

What the fuck? Are people afraid of mustard in murrika?

Hot dogs with mustard are one of the iconic American foods.

People who are ignorant to smoking ribs will watch the video and think, "The ribs I ordered didn't taste like mustard!" and think the recipe is wrong.

I just make cuts in it, if it's cooked long enough and you've used a rub + sauce the silverskin becomes crispy and delicious

There are shitty cooks everywhere, and if someone hears about putting a condiment on a food they don't associate with it, they'll assume that the food is going to taste strongly of that condiment.

Protip: do the paper towel thing right as you pull the rack from the fridge, otherwise as it sits in room temp grease will form on the surface and make for that "ballache".

You sound like you know what you're talking about. Post pics of ribs?

While it sounds stupid, in the business we call it "membrane" for a few different cuts and "silverskin/silver skin" for others. If you want to flex that culinary/butchery muscle a little, consider the following: When you're talking about ribs and boned chops (such as rib chops/lollipop chops/cowboy cuts/etc.), it's considered to be "membrane" that is present or being removed. When you're talking about cutting roasts and (most) steaks, when that same fascia presents itself it is considered silverskin. For example, beef tenderloins have silverskin on top that needs to be removed before presenting fillet mignon steaks in the case (same for cooking, of course). For any pork chop that is a Texas cut or cowboy cut which need the the fascia removed (for frenching), we consider this to be membrane.

I don't know why they do this, but it's a thing. If it isn't like that where you are, perhaps it's just a local phenomenon- and if that is the case, please disregard this comment.

>What the fuck? Are people afraid of mustard in murrika?

Only that shit known as yellow or hotdog mustard. Dijon, spicy brown, german stone ground are all fine.

Does that shit even contain mustard or is it all food color and synthetic flavoring?

Disregarded.

If you boil ribs they get tender in no time

>If you boil ribs they get tender in no time

If you boil ribs they lose their flavor in no time

you are left with a tasty rib broth, tho

always remove it, use your finger to separate it and then just pull it off

smoker at 225, 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour uncovered, add sauce during last hour if you want

everything else is bullshit

It's just a lot of turmeric

But you just reduce the boiling liquid and it all goes in the sauce so no probs, brah

I really find that it depends on the cut/ quality of the meat. Most of the time I just score the membrane really well and let it crisp up. It tastes quite nice with a little extra salt tossed on before throwing it on the heat. Make sure to grill bone side down for as long as possible.

yay im not crazy for calling it the membrane! thx Butcher!

I did this all the time as a butcher, I would just nick the outer corner with my knife, pry it up a little bit with pinched fingers, then grip it firmly with my whole hand and tear it away.

The membrane has such a nice crunch

When will this stupid meme to remove the membrane die?

Hook a fork tine in near the bone and lift it a little, just to make a little space. Then work a finger in there. Once you have enough peeled up you should be able to rip it off in one piece.

>should I always remove the silverskin?
I've done all three ways: remove it, poke lots of holes, and leaving it on. No difference in any of them.

Lately, I have been brining my ribs overnight in a salt/sugar/red wine vinegar solution.

>good recipes for ribs
just follow Chef Johns technique, and they'll be fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=wz7WHAjxDxk