If I travel to Jupiter and drop a lit match into the atmosphere...

If I travel to Jupiter and drop a lit match into the atmosphere, would it start the methane on fire and create a dwarf star?

Other urls found in this thread:

theconversation.com/revealed-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs-boiled-earths-atmosphere-36606
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If i detonate a nuclear bomb in Earth's Oxygen rich atmosphere, will it burn all the oxygen away?

No, Jupiter has already tons of thunderstorms.

Asteroids burn up in jupiters atmosphere all the time.

Use your fuckin head

That's not the same as open flame from a match or torch

No, its worse

Prove it

theconversation.com/revealed-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs-boiled-earths-atmosphere-36606

Was about to say this. OP should've asked about Titan instead.

>tfw there's a hyper-intelligent sentient life form existing in Jupiter's massive layer of metallic hydrogen, a consciousness not unlike our own which self-organized from chaos, and watching us through the largest eye mankind has ever known. Watching and waiting...

Methane needs oxygen to burn. Any oxygen on Jupiter has long since ignited and combined with the huge amounts of hydrogen there, and is farting around in the upper atmosphere as water vapor.

But there's no methane on Jupiter, because you need cow farts to produce methane (or just a can of beans) and there's no cows or beans on Jupiter. Duh.

>tfw that's not far off the truth

*raises paw*
but jupiter is made of hydrogen user

Even if you could light an entire gas giant's atmosphere on fire by merely dropping a match into it (you can't but I'll humor you) it still wouldn't create a dwarf star because a star by definition is something that relies on nuclear fusion of light elements into heavier ones.

Nuclear fusion in stars is typically occurs when a large gas cloud gets compacted under gravity but electron degeneracy pressure is still strong enough to prevent total core collapse/supernova creating a neutron star or black hole. When fusion occurs light atoms like hydrogen collide and form helium.

Lighting a planet's atmosphere on fire won't cause fusion any more than lighting a candle on Earth does. Even though the sun looks like a giant ball of fire it is completely different and it would be stupid to assume it is burning.

I imagine, if you managed to successfully light an entire planets atmosphere on fire, assuming the gas was combustible and the fire consumed all of it you would probably get a good amount of combustion by products ejected into space. The rest would probably swirl around in the atmosphere and eventually settle. If combustion on a gas giant occurred like combustion on Earth the resultant atmosphere would likely consist of large amount of CO2 and water vapor along with trace amounts of more complex chemicals. Jupiter has a lot of ammonia based compounds and probably not enough oxygen to sustain combustion. So you would not manage to ignite anything most likely.

We've already set off a nuclear explosion on jupiter. Nothing happened.

You'd still need oxygen tho.

Nothing in this post makes sense

Made perfect sense to me. And how did I get on Veeky Forums? I was browsing /pol/ and now I'm here somehow.

Let me explain it to You. Every star used to be more or less like Jupiter at some point. The thing is, that when You add mass to the planet, it's gravity increases. At some point the gravity is so great, that the atoms at the core start to collide with each other with such great force, that they fuse into heavier elements. For example: if you fuse two hydrogen atoms, each having 1 proton, you will get helium atom, witch has 2 protons (there are some more complicated transitions along the way in witch neutrons are created, but we only need principles for now). As You might remember from hight school, the mass of an atom is smaller than the mass of its protons and neutrons seperetly. Where that mass goes? It's converted into energy. A shitload of energy. Thousand times more than you would get from burning these elements (basycly that's why hydrogen bombs are so destructive). One of advantages of fusion is that the elements that you got from it can be used for further fusion (h+h=he, he+he=... etc) so the fuel lasts for much longer. If You were to burn whole hydrogen from the Sun and get the same amount of energy, it would last You for few thousand years(and the stuff is used to fuel rockets). And the sun is burning for billions of years now, and it's estimated to burn for few billions more.

Ow. And BTW to burn hydrogen you need an oxidazor (oxygen) that there is none on Jupiter

>If i detonate a nuclear bomb in Earth's Oxygen rich atmosphere, will it burn all the oxygen away?
Funny enough, that the people working on the Manhattan Project were worried about that initially.

The match would never light without oxygen.

This
Source: I'm a giant fetus that float next to earth, spent half of my previous human life in a hotel room in the middle of nowhere

God these fcking austists are supposed to be good at academics but can't even understand stoichoimetry holy shit the white race is fucked

Wrong

That's not proof. You must conduct experiments.

What would happen if Jupiter made of hydrogen crashed into Jupiter made of oxygen?

Obvios troll, but nice conspiracy theory

What's wrong?
Metallic hydrogen?

So much