Will the world end in the next 100 years?

Will the world end in the next 100 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Big Rip.

The world? Nah, but the possibility of humanity ending itself in the next 100 years is very real.

The world will end when Disney determines there is no more profit to be had.
Search your heart, you know this to be true.

people keep saying that, but I never heard a convincing explanation on how this might happen.

No, but the state of Germany will.

Possibly, but unlikely. I huge asteroid could crash into us, or some random supernova or something could get us but I wouldn't worry to much about it. A decline in population could happen through war/famine/disease though. If you mean humans going extinct, I also doubt that would happen since we are on every place on earth already.

By any number of ways we're making our planet uninhabitable for us. We have to work together to solve our problems, but we can't seem to do it.

So, we had our chance, but this is it. It's get over our juvenile shit, or die off.

There's no star close enough for a supernova to cause destruction.

>By any number of ways we're making our planet uninhabitable for us.
uninhabitable is a pretty big word
how would we accomplish this?

no

no

Yours will

Runaway greenhouse effect
Nuclear Armageddon

There's 2 possibilities.

yes

not possibilities, those are buzzwords

>Runaway greenhouse effect
is going to make the entire WORLD uninhabitable in the next 100 years?
are you shitting me?
I doubt there's a climate scientist on the planet that predicts that all of the netherlands will be uninhabitable in the next 1000
tuvalu, perhaps, but the world?
hell no

>Nuclear Armageddon
humanity as a whole surived population bottlenecks of under 20k, some human subpopulations were temporarily reduced to only a few thousand (possibly much less)
so, for a nuclear war to actually wipe us all out, merely nuking all major cities won't do
you'd have to cover every single somewhat populated rural area as well
every valley and every island with a population of ~1000 or more (if we're being generous)
assuming thats even possible with plausible nuclear arsenal sizes, who is going to do such a thing, and why?
or alternatively (additionally) can you really create absolutely global nuclear fallout so severe and enduring that all attempts at repopulation become futile
i personally find this highly unlikely

nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Have fun

>Runaway greenhouse effect
Will do no difference at all in the following 100 years. If climate change could make an area uninhabitable then exceptional weather events would've already scoured all life from it.

>Nuclear Armageddon
Doesn't make the world uninhabitable. It might kill billions of people but there will be hundreds of millions of survivors. And once the initial fallout disperses into the ground after a few years the recovery will be completely uneventful as airborne radiation sensors will be able to map the soil pollution, at which point you can clear away topsoil into radiation landfills and reclaim all land. At great cost but still a valid approach.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both inhabited cities today.

Good job in providing proof against your own argument.

How many russian 800kt nukes will you need to clear just the cities of the US. Then realize that agriculatural areas and every other nation still have population left.

If nuclear fallout is out of the question and we assume there's no asteroid collision or whatever then I'd say the most likely scenario would be some kind of biological weapon or genetic engineering gone wrong, like zombies or something. But I kindof think if that were to happen, with all of the sci-fi shit nowadays everyone would be heading into the streets with shotguns and the whole thing would be over before it even had time to spread. The after-effect on civilization would probably even do more damage than the actual event.

I'm not the user you were replying to, m80. I just thought you'd like to see the nukemap.

Is our existence just fucking huge luck and coincidence?

hopefully

You need to account for the spreading of fallout around the world though. Also weather changes. Even a "small" nuclear war between Pakistan and India would cause climate disruptions as far as North America.

i honestly hope so

Yes

You are in a room with 60 people. What are the chances of 2 of them having been born within 30 years of the apocalypse?