I'm going to be a father, Veeky Forums

I'm going to be a father, Veeky Forums.

How do I raise my child not to be a picky eater?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_-kZlBzvn6c
mobile.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html
news-medical.net/news/20101014/Research-finds-fat-cells-can-secrete-hormones.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18601708
ocm.auburn.edu/featured_story/wooly_pigs.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303703/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

send them to bed hungry a few nights if they don't want what you offer and pretty soon they will be eating like a champ, you welcome

When he starts getting in to solid food try giving him as many different goods as you can. My baby will eat ANYTHING even stuff like tofu

>this

>not this

For children who are picky eaters it's usually a power play. They cannot control much in their lives, but they can control what they will and won't eat. So don't make a big deal out of picky behavior. Kids often need to be exposed to a food several times before they will eat it.

Why are you greentexting your direct response

When I was a kid I would eat anything. Then one day I got chicken pox and became a ridiculously picky eater. Sometimes you can't control it OP but the best way is to let them try as many different foods and ingredients as you can get.

Bargain strats my friend.
>but I don't want to eat my broccoli!
>tell you what kiddo, if you eat half your broccoli you get a brownie for dessert.

then the next time you he complains you tell em to eat all of it if he wants dessert.

You tell your child that he's eating for free and if he won't listen, you threaten your child that you'll put him through the fucking wall.

Most babies will

Who are you quoting, friend?

/thread

Kill if picky
Breed again
Repeat until success

I don't understand why this is such a common response to OP's kind of question. It doesn't help at all. A friend of mine is the pickiest eater I have ever met and his father did this. There were times where he didn't let him leave the table until he ate all his vegetables either, even if he had homework to do, and he would just sit there until it was time to go to bed. Guess what? It didn't change anything. He still refuses to eat anything other than potatoes now and it makes cooking a nightmare whenever he comes around.

Well, any vegetables other than potatoes I should say. Won't eat any fruits either.

Hit them

The severity will be based on how much of said food they will not eat. A whole plate? Belt to the face. A few pieces like broccoli or peas? Belt to the face.

They might hate you in the end, but hey, they ate the goddamn food.

Everything tastes good when you're hungry

That's not even close to true.

First and foremost... your child's diet will be a reflection of how the mother eats during her pregnancy. If the mother eats alot of fresh organic fruits and veggies every meal, it will be that much easier for the kid to eat them with you. If the mother eats nothing but kit kats and coca cola, you're in for an uphill battle. The child will also watch what you eat, so set the example and walk the walk.

t. parent

this.
my mom used to do this and none of us are picky eaters.
bear in mind though, small children usually avoid certain flavours. you shouldn't force your kid to eat something that tastes bitter, that belongs to the flavours you "grow into"

This is the way I was raised, and I came out alright, except for the crippling social anxiety and alcoholism.

Not that guy, but you obviously haven't been very hungry

I had a gag reflex as a kid, hence why I was a picky eater. Even though my parents were modern day hippy organic health libcuck nuts.

Any effort to help your child not be a picky eater may not matter at all.

Someone should have throat fucked you, picky bitch.

they did, every day of my life until I finished high school

Oh yea? I got lost in the woods once for three days. It was fall and there weren't any berries or anything to eat. I had fallen down a gully and lost my pack, so no shelter and no fire either. I did come accross a dead deer that was still pretty fresh, but I couldn't make myself eat any of it. I finally stumbled onto a ranch and got help. I told the homeowner I was very hungry, she offered me a hot dog while she cooked something up for me. I can't stand hot dogs and declined. I waited another 30 min for actual food.
Being very hungry does not make shitty food taste good.

Stir fry their vegetables.

If you do it right the fat calories added are minimal (you only need half a tbsp of oil, around 7 ml), the sodium minimal, while retaining all the health benefits in the vegetables.

Guess you weren't that hungry then. 3 days is not that long. Try a week or more, youd probably be eating that deer raw

Only reasonable response in the thread.
Also I was a picky eater when I was younger. I feel like a lot of kids are, just the way it is.
I eventually grew out of it in my teens and started trying new things.

That wouldn't make it taste good.

Coworkers daughter will not eat anything if it has a bone attached to the meat.

No fried chicken (tenders yes). No ribs. No pork chops.

She claims its because she had a bad experience, but I know that's bull since when she started here we would go out to eat different foods and she would never eat her meals.

Proper food presentation make everything more appealing on the plate.

Teacher fag here

Don't make eating a punishment, you fucking idiots. If I treat food like an adventure with one kid and one kid associates food he doesn't like with being or punished, who do you think will be the picky eater?

Anything you eat 10 times will start to taste good, so start early with giving them different food. Make it exciting and awesome.
"Goddamn son, i bought this new cheese! Let's compare it to the cheese we usually eat! What do you think?"

Or

"Either you eat this moldy piece of shit that smells like my taint or I'll slap the shit out of you!"

Autocorrect slaughtered that sentence. And the last part should be in the beginning. You get my point though.

You let him play unreal tournament.

What a nice story.
Can't wait for the the next installment of "things that never happened".

>I do not recognize pasta when I see it
Lurk moar, newfaggot.

Wa La!

If you tell them certain foods are gross, they'll believe you. So just pretend to enjoy everything.

>confirmed for never having done manual labor

That's not copypasta.
That actually happened to me and it still gives me nightmares. You can even look it up, I made the local paper. I was in the Flat Tops in northern Colorado.

Again, nice try.
I'm a farmer and I live on a homestead. I grow my own food (including livestock) and I heat the house with a wood stove. I'm a very active person.

How are you posting here? The family woodfired telegraph?

Obviously I have internet. I don't live in a cave. I'm 25 min from a grocery store in a small town, I'm not posting from Mars.

Because it works for a lot of kids who are usually fussing for reasons other than taste. Your retarded friend isn't necessarily a common example. Besides, when people get really, seriously hungry they will give in and eat pretty much anything. Your friend's father should have refused him all other meals other than whatever food he was rejecting.

And to OP: make sure your kid's mom has a healthy, diverse diet throughout her pregnancy (as much as can be managed) and as she breastfeeds. After that, make sure the kid samples a lot of foods.

Kids will give more of a damn about what they eat and be more willing to eat what is served if they are involved in the cooking/baking process. A bit of pride and involvement goes a long way.

every time they dont eat the food, arrest them and send them to kid jail

the whole nine yards, cuff em, work the liver and kidneys, read them their rights (lol none fagit), meat truck them to the cuckshed

then you have to be their shedmate and have your other buddy arrest YOU, while acreaming "am i being detained fuck you pigs"

once you are in make him est the wood chips

i hear a belt to the face cures both of those.

My grandparents never let me leave the table unless I had finished what was on my plate. That worked fine for me.

As he grows up continue to always give your kid a variety of meals so that he/she never clings to one type of food like chicken nuggets or grows a distaste for something because he/she has it too often. If you're going through economical trouble and have no option to keep things varying, stick to something like beans and rice rather than cheap microwavable 'kid's food'.

Teaching your kid how to to cook is also very good when they're a little older, because if they're on their own they may resort to eating shitty stuff and developing a habits.

>being this new

always expose them to new foods from day 1, prepare the food PROPERLY, and always have them try at least a bit of whatever new food you can.

Don't ask them if they liked it, don't bring the thought of disliking food up at all. A lot of parents seems to incessantly ask whether the kids like the food or not and they learn to respond the way the parent expect them to.

>>being this new
It was done wrong in that post even for the accepted uses outside of quoting.

This. Worked for me. I'd go about 2-3 days without eating until it kicked in. Also didn't help that I was poor and sometimes ate out of dumpsters as a kid, but starvation does the trick.

Variety of foods
Make sure junk-food is only ever a treat NEVER a replacement for something they dislike, offering a fairly dull and healthy alternative encourages them to try.

this

also never make food traumatizing

if it doesn't want to eat something let it go and don't make them "finish their plate" or some shit

then they'll grow up picky AND fat

>Make sure junk-food is only ever a treat
I agree with this but it also shouldn't be treated as taboo. I notice that people who make a big deal about their kids eating junk food also raise kids with food issues. Junk should be a rare thing and really it should be made out to be something that isn't quite ideal (if that makes sense) because the more taboo it is, the more kids want it.

Anecdote: had a friend who was raised by parents who insisted that everything be healthy and organic and all that shit. The second he got out on his own he downed junk food more than anyone I had ever seen.

This is a pretty bad idea honestly.
I got this treatment when I wouldn't eat my vegeta bulls. When I wouldn't eat them, my parents got mad so I started throwing the shit I didn't like in the trash or literally throwing it behind the couch since I was forced to eat it all the time and I didn't want to but didn't want to make my parents yell at me either. Even grown up I still don't like just vegetables but I can tolerate anything that's not string beans or peppers for the sake of not being an autist. Ironically though, I used to hate broccoli the most but now I love it and it's just about the only vegetable I eat (willingly). I kind of hate stews though.

In short, if your kid hates something, trying to get them to eat it is fine, but making it into a big ordeal has a chance of making it much worse.

why the fuck are you treating your kid like a fucking dog?

Should I treat him like a cat? Train dumb like dumb.

You're setting him up for misery dude, he will do everything he doesn't want to waiting a reward from you by the end of it, when you stop the treaties you'll risk having a little rebel, or worse, spoiled.

Just wait a couple of days, say a couple of no, don't starve him, he will eat it sometime. Kid's taste buds are not like ours. Brocolli, onion, actually taste really bad for them.

Just got to make it to 17, then he's society's problem.

You dont.
You raise them, to the best of YOUR ability to become a self reliant individual of modern society and make good life choices (but dont be a pussy about it, son).
And, after you fuck that alllll up. If they don't OD on the latest elephant tranquilizer heroin "za", no worries.
Mom's gonna teach them how child support works
Child support ? it's just the new hipster word for her alimoney pocket cash for your diapers/her fix and she has a date tonight, so here's a biscuit and some mustard and get your ass back down in the cellar, night sweetie.

youtube.com/watch?v=_-kZlBzvn6c

No worriez Bro, you got this

Set up a rule such as that they must try everything on their plate. Three bites, 2 bites, whatever.
Enforce the rule, explain it's okay to not like some food but they still have to try it (if there are foods you don't like, make a point to try them too).
If there's something like onions, potato, broccoli, etc that kids generally don't like have them try it every once in a while but not every time because in all likelihood they aren't going to like it for a while.
If they throw a fit and refuse, tell them they can go to bed.
If they try everything as asked, and say they don't like it, tell them they can have a healthy alternative (if they try it without a fit, thank them for trying) such as some baby carrots, yogurt, etc. Nothing all that interesting, but stuff that will suffice.
If there's dessert and they haven't tried the food say no until they try.
If there's dessert and they tried but haven't eaten anything else say no until they eat some dinner food.

That's about it. Those are the rules my niece follows, she's nearly 6 and beginning to like potatoes finally. She likes vegetables, and still occasionally throws fits but the important part is that the rules are fair and enforced consistently.

Forgot to mention, this is mostly preference, but my sister also enforced the rule that if you don't like dinner and want something else you have to make it yourself (including her and her husband).
So for my niece it started out as an apple, some carrots, etc then graduated to sandwiches and now I think she's at oatmeal and hardboiled eggs.

Makes your life easier, at least.

Take your kid to very ghetto and also very expensive places so he builds a strong inmunological system

true in a superstitious way for what the mother eats while in the womb. my mom ate alot of pasta and rice and i do like alot of rice/pasta dishes.

what a kid sees you eat and what you eat together is more important. cousins family dad hardily ate veggies and fish, and almost all of his kids were picky eaters for both.

Get him in a good school with healthy lunches, kid get bad food habits from their family or in school.

Don't do this. My parents tried this shit with me, and it didn't work at all. They even tried feeding me my uneaten leftovers every meal until I ate them. Even when they put it in my school lunchbox, instead of just throwing it away at school to get rid of it, I brought it home in my lunchbox as a way of saying "FUCK YOU, NOT EATING IT". This went on for 3-4 days until the leftovers got too stale and rancid to be edible, and I won. They never tried that shit again, and the only thing I learned is that sometimes being a stubborn little shit pays off if you have the patients and willpower.

Don't try to make things they don't like a fight, because kids fight back. Try to figure out ways to make your kid want to eat it instead.

so you admit that you were just a shit person who punished your parents for no good reason?? spoiled ass brat

my parents sent me to bed hungry, i woke up, next day i ate my food bc being hungry fucking sucked. sometime in your life you have to learn that fighting the status quo sucks for every party involved and that it's much more pleasant to just go along with what's happening so you're not stuck at the table for hours, with cold peas, waiting to go play

This is the most common parenting style in middle America which also happens to have the pickiest eaters as well.

Just make things tasty. For yourself and your kids. Eating shitty dishes makes you hate the ingredients for life.

real answer:
-make sure the wife eats healthy when breast feeding. Baby develops a taste for food from breastmilk. Avoid formula milk as it turns babies into picky eaters.
-get children involved with cooking. People are more willing to eat something they have made (people will want to know if they did a good job at making food).
-avoid junk food and fast food at an early age. these foods are made to be addicting. Kids can't be disgusted by seafood, vegetables, or fruit if they are exposed to it at an early age.

oh, I was absolutely a little shit. I'm still pretty much a shit today. Don't let OP's kid turn out like me.

sounds like your parents didn't really get to the moment where they 'broke you'. i had multiple times where i threw up at the table trying to get out of eating the food. until my sis was like 'is this really better than just eating a few bites of food?"

being a stubborn shit only pays off if you're the biggest dick in the room. parents today are too afraid to abuse their parents, which means their kids learn that they'll basically always be the biggest dick in the room very early on, which is why muh generation is entitled, bossy, and self important

My mom never cooked special meals for me to accomodate me being picky about something. Her rule was that I didn't have to finish anything I didn't like, but I had to try at least one bite of everything she served. I had a childish palate for a while, but by the time I was a teenager I was not picky in the slightest.

>Punished your parents
>For them trying to punish him but it didn't work out
>YOU MONSTER!!!!!!!!
What the fuck is this even supposed to be. The entire point of his post was how it didn't work on him, not that he's a bad person and needs to repent for his sins from not eating his fucking vegetables. You make it sound as if he absolutely tormented him by not eating his greens.
>He doesn't care about you trying to talk down to him
>You're still trying to shit on him for no reason
You've got some serious ego problems. I' bet you're the same kind of person who thinks you should be crucified for disrespecting your parents no matter what situation.

>these foods are made to be addicting.

this is your cue that he doesn't know what he's talking about

Not him, but
mobile.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

sugar does not create a chemical dependence and never will

cook good food

and slap the shit out that lil nigga if he don't like it

raise two children.
have one of them be an obnoxious loser, and care for the other one. they'll see their failure of a sibling and try not to be a cunt like them.

Have you noticed that most people with addictive personalities (unless they are Veeky Forums) are overweight?

Psychological addiction is real to some people. And those kinds should avoid junk food.

Also, your adipose cells give off hormones where the more you eat, the less of leptin they produce (which inhibits appetite and also deals with blood glucose levels).
news-medical.net/news/20101014/Research-finds-fat-cells-can-secrete-hormones.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18601708

Back in ag school I shadowed a professor studying this in pigs, who have a very similar endocrine and insulin "system" to humans. It was interesting.
ocm.auburn.edu/featured_story/wooly_pigs.html

I'm friends with a fat girl. I go shopping with her and the stuff she eats is just amazing...the amount of sugary foods she eats I would never even think of eating. And when she comes across some nice cake...she's almost uncontrollable the amount she eats. It's really obvious that she can't control herself.

Same with me when I go through a sugary food phase. I keep wanting more sugar but I'm sure it's much worse for her because she's been downing sugar her entire life.

Not that it matters whether it's a chemical addiction or not. Addiction to sugar is very real.

reminder that anecdotal evidence doesn't count for shit. actual addictive substances are way different from sugar, regardless of what some internet know-it-all told you.

King Jack???

I guess NCBI is considered invalid and anecdotal?

Kek.

Yeah well by the time we wait for science and data to catch up with anecdotal, my kids will both have lost their feet from diabetes.

Reminder that there are truths in the world and science is just a way to confirm the truths or falsify false claims. It doesn't matter if there is no science behind a truth; it'll be true all the same.

Just make some shit that doesn't include the vegetables on the side. Make a stew, or lasagna, stir fry, whatever the fuck you can stick a vegetable in just make it.

It makes no sense to just serve them straight vegetables and expect them to eat that shit.

Maybe ask them why they don't like the vegetables... if they say they taste like shit, it's up to you to make them taste less bad. You don't eat things you think legitimately taste bad, why the fuck would you expect your kid to.

Facebook called, they are missing an anti-vaxer.

the article you are referring to, despite the eye-catching title, does not draw the conclusion that sugar is addictive. Food in general can be addictive to a small number of people, but sugar has never been shown to create a legit neurochemical addiction.

I'm sure you're following the facebook "science fan" groups.

Came here to post this. My son has loved the shit out of onion (mostly raw) all chiles, and has no problem with veggies or "grown up" food. I'm guessing it was based off my diet while pregnant, not dumbing down his palate (or vocabulary) and cooking regularly.

He's an all around great little shithead too, so he doesn't make a stink about trying new things.

I honestly don't know how I lucked out so hard with him.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Another article from the same period showing neurochemical dependency to sugar in rats. Not much more to say really.

>Train dumb like dumb.
What does this even mean? That your kid is dumb? Do you understand that you've raised him to be that way?

>explain it's okay to not like some food but they still have to try it (if there are foods you don't like, make a point to try them too).
>have them try it every once in a while
Goodness, this and this. Theis tastes are fluid, but it's good to have them still try almost everything.

>because kids fight back
Not to make this abut race, and I love White people, but I'm guessing you're White? Your parents never laid a finger on you? My kid doesn't fight back, hardly do I 'fight' with him (more like a level headed stern discussion, sometimes raised voice and curse words). I did used to lay the smack down on him, have't for years now, though it's clear your parents tried the 'loving' approach, gave into you and turned you into a piece of shit.

PLEASE don't get violent.
My dad used to beat me if I didn't eat the food he prepared. He fancied himself a great cook of Vietnamese food but couldn't access any ingredients so it was stuff like Spam and Dried Leaves Banh Mi in white bread, and Pho where he used water as a base, usually water that had been sitting on the windowsill for at least 25 hours with a slug in the bowl 'to soak up all the waters dirt'. I can't eat Vietnamese food now because of the fucking punches and kickings he gave. I struggle with any noodle based dish, or any rice. It makes it worse not better.

>formula turns kids into picky eaters
Confirmed for literally being 12. That's so wrong.

Why do you think I specified swine? Because their insulin production and sugar and adipose processing is very close if not identical to humans.

That's like how it is useless to study alcohol effect on rats when relating them to people because of the way their living functions.

Also, with psychological addiction to a particular taste, examination needs to be done on animals with a brain activity closer to human.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303703/

>mom was a vegetarian
>started getting cravings for meat when she got pregnant with me
>would eat steaks, ribs, fast food burgers, tacos, anything with lots of meat
>I eat McDonald's every day now
Whoa.... Really makes you think.....