Book List

For someone completely new to this board, name 3 books that you wish they would have read before joining.

hyperion cantos

troll under the bridge.

Lawson & Michelsohn - "Spin Geometry"
Hartshorne - "Algebraic Geometry"
Rodger - "My Twisted World"

I wish every retarded biologist here would have read A short Introduction to Evolution by Brian Charlesworth

The Discovery of Evolution by Young might be better.

A calculus based intro physics textbook
An intro to proofs textbook or a proof based math textbook such as an analysis, abstract algebra, vector spaces, or topology book
The Holy Bible (NJB, NRSV with Apocrypha, NABRE, RSV-CE, Knox, or DR)

>The Holy Bible (NJB, NRSV with Apocrypha, NABRE, RSV-CE, Knox, or DR)

>Not only KJB
>Apocrypha

Nice going you illiterate fucking pleb

Can't wait to see you justify not picking the KJB

You should read more. A lot more.

>hyperion cantos

Can't wait for this whole thread to be filled by faggots that think they're the shit recommending meme fiction, Ayn Rand or versions of the bible other than the KJB. Fucking hell I hate this board

>bible
>not the holy qur'an

>Jimbo 6:16 And Jesus walked down from Mt. Sinai with a KJV bible in his right hand and a printing press in his left and said, "Go forth and multiply", and saw it was good. 17 Then the Lord commanded us to follow the greatest commandments: "sola gratia, sola fide, and sola scriptura!" and it came to pass.

>implying the quran isn't a shitty fan fiction rewrite of the bible that reads like ass
>implying the quran has anywhere near the influence that bible has had on the western canon
>implying our western culture and history isn't gravely indebted to the bible and Christianity in general

feynman lectures on physics
calculus by james steward
any linear algebra textbook

Calculus by James Stewart has negative reviews on amazon, you sure there's not a better alternative? Or is the 3.5 star rating wrong?

Spivak or Apostol

No, give with Kreisler's Elementary Calculus.

> Keisler
Thats the infintessimal one isn't it?

or Courant + John

Yes

douay-rheims is superior to kjb

Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Artin's Algebra
Munkres' Topology

I don't expect anyone here to disagree. That's fine.

**to agree

i'm ending my first year of a math degree. planning on finishing the following over the summer:
Godel, Escher, Bach (fuck this book. i find it intuitively pleasing at parts but the author reminds me of that quirky-smart uncle you'd have who'd make you feel uncomfortable after 45 minutes)
Algorithm Design Manual by Skienna (since I have an interest in bioinformatics and graph theory seems pretty lucrative)
Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis

I'll add those two books to the list.

Sorry, forgot to ask, what sort of books would you say are absolutely essential for anyone who wants to actually have a strong foundation in mathematics? The curriculum at my school isn't very rigorous so I want to have a good covering of all the "basic" fields in math.

Problem books like Berkeley's and Stanford's.

Haha I know the uncle you mean.

I'll check out the Algorithm Design Manual book you mentioned.

I would say that the three books I mentioned here: are the best foundations for their respective fields of undergraduate mathematics. But they are hard books. But if you can understand all 3 of them, you'll have a solid foundation in Analysis, Algebra, and Topology, which are essentially the three main fields of math.

These books sum up the entire undergraduate math degree and I would call them the starting place for anyone who finished calculus and wants to just begin learning serious, proof-based mathematics. Once you finish them, you should be free to pick up math textbooks in any more specialized subject you like, such as differential geometry, and be able to handle it.
The order of difficulty is, I would say, Artin, then Rudin, then Munkres.

But there are plenty of other great introductory books to Analysis, Algebra, and Topology as well so they are worth checking out but I know firsthand those ones are typical textbooks for college courses.

If you're more interested in mastering computations or applied math, like PDEs, more advanced calculus, etc., then and other books might be more helpful but I would call it applied math.

the holy quran

how about you read it before you spew bullshit then? Or maybe you're afraid of cognitive dissonance?

he's undoubtedly correct on his 2nd and 3rd points. the first point, however, is so biased as to be trivial.

did you read the qu'ran with or without an interpretation to serve as a guide?

thanks a lot man. i appreciate it. one of my profs has expressed interest in providing me a lot of guidance so i know that any independent study i do will be aptly rewarded.

But the Quran is a rehash/rewrite of much of the bible with director cut ending: Jesus' miraculous escape from death followed immediately by his sudden death
+ Christian fan fiction popular during the 6th~7th centuries: Protoevangelium of James, Infancy Gospel of Thomas, the Seven Sleepers
+ the awesom-o adventures of Muhammad even though the Quran was supposed to be complete in heaven before Muhammad started getting revelations but w/e

Much of the Bible is a rewrite of the Bible

The Landau theoretical physics series, it's like 12 books but whatever

>he's undoubtedly correct

He's posturing subjective dislike with 'objective' fact.

It's not re-write or the bible at all for starters. Second it's grammatically quite beautiful in its original form and this is commented on by non-muslims who understand classical arabic irrespective or whether they agree with it or not.

Only the second point and third point is correct.

no I am biased as well.

Original miracle do not steal

believe me when i say that i'm familiar with the qu'ran and think that it's an immensely beautiful book (if that is the correct way to refer to it). however, i -- as well as any Muslim -- would never think that the qu'ran has had anywhere near the influence in the West as has the Bible. that was my only point.

agreed

we should put this to bed now

>Rodger - "My Twisted World"

>the western canon
Western civilization is dead. In 20 years Europe will be islamic. In 100 years nobody will remember that christianity ever was a thing.

>In 100 years nobody will remember that christianity ever was a thing.
Fo shizzle faruk

Ted Kaczynski - Industrial Society and Its Future

Anders Breivik - 2083 - A European Declaration of Independence

Elliot Rodger - My Twisted World

Well for 3 math books, that's good.

For 3 physics books:
Taylor's Classical Mechanics
Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics
Townsend's A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics

>In 20 years Western Europe will be islamic

ftfy

>KJB only

top kek

Stewart calc is the best math textbook I have ever used. Carried it around for 1.5 years for my undergrad and still reference it