Let's settle this right now

Let's settle this right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6^2/2(3)+4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

3.6 based on how the equation is spaced

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6^2/2(3)+4
Fucking idiot. You'll get the same result in Maple or Matlab or anything else.

Use a fucking fraction bar you stupid fuck.

Agreed

Order of operations = Math
You phoney.

He's saying that the spacing between the sections indicates what order to do it in
i.e.

6^2../.........2(3)..+4

Gorillaposter sighting.

First, square.
Then multiplication.
Then addition.
Then division.
Agreed anons wording was poor, but protocol was implied.
"Spaced" is a synonym for syntax in some European countries.

I've never posted gorilla posts, and I've complained about them here, today.

Secondly, I'm not the person that made the "Spaced" post, but I did explain their method and wording.
And their conclusion is correct.
This was a Common Core bait thread anyway.

PEMDAS. People learn it in elementary school.

6^2 = 36

36 ÷ 2 = 18

18 * 3 = 54

54 + 4 = 58

parenthesis

exponents

multi

divi

add

sub

you're doing it wrong

No, he did it in the order he said. Parenthesis doesn't mean the multiplication of numbers outside of the parenthesis, it's just a recursive evaluation call

I didn't do anything wrong. Can you explain?

Oh, shit, I was thinking BIDMAS (division then multiplication)

You divided before multiplying
PEMDAS -> M>D

Inverse operations like division /multiplication should take precedence in order of operations according to the order they are read.

As long as you're consistent, you can define whatever convention you want, but that one is the most straightforward / logical choice in general.

That's not how PEMDAS works.

Then why is it called PEMDAS and not PEDMAS?

The multiplication and division happen at the same time. From left to right, multiplication doesn't come first brah. Just like addition isn't automatically done before subtraction

Fuck yourself

I don't know why people keep posting this. The only people it fools is people who remember PEMDAS, but forget that you work left to right when dealing with operations of equal ranking. So they assume you multiply before dividing.

That's not what throws them off, it's the parenthesis. It could just as easily be PEDMAS and they'd still get it wrong because the P comes first.

Why is it that the division sign (obelus) gets taught at all in elementary school? All it does is bring about ambiguity, and I've literally never used it beyond 3rd grade. Why not immediately introduce the fraction bar?

I agree with this

Alright, I get why the OP is 58. But why is this one 54 x+155?

I've always been taught to distribute the number, or am I mistaken?

ah nvm
it's because you do the exponent and divide by 2 and then distribute that

figured it out senpaitachi

Is the first number supposed to be a 6?

The person who wrote this down should commit sudoku.

It's (6^2 / 2)*(3x+9)-7

(18)*(3x+9)-7 = 54x+162-7 = 54+155

It say Ma.

>Let's settle this right now.
USE POSTFIX

Use RPN

got it, thanks
I guess it's just a matter of what said

there's no way this is really happening
there's no way this discussion is taking place unironically on the same board that debates quantum mechanics and special relativity

listen up fags, PEMDAS is the generally accepted method - Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction

6^2 / 2(3) + 4
>exponents
36 / 2(3) + 4
>multiplication
36 / 6 + 4
>division
6 + 4

bear poster gorilla poster same literal shitposting

nice bait

RPN is postfix notation.

wasn't aware, sorry

You divide before multiplying. Nice try though.

rewrite it as (6*6)*((2*3)+4)^-1
no questions then
pemdas was just a way for us to not have to write parenthesis and to never make children think about what associativity means

do you dumb fucking niggers really need some fucking pemdas shit to remember something this piss easy? it's 10 and there is no other possible answer

You multiplied before dividing. The division symbol appears before the multiplication symbol "2(3)"

Using brackets to multiply isn't the same as using the multiplication sign.
62÷2(3)+4 is like 62÷2x+4, you multiply 2 by x first. Brackets behave like variables, which is why we substitute variables with brackets, 2x with 2(3) instead of 2*3.

pls kill self

therefore 58

I thought Veeky Forums was better than this

Notice how wolfram alpha and google always get these right. Because they were written by people who knew basic orders of operation.

Multiplication and division have the same priority, as well as addition and subtraction. Operations with the same priority are done left to right.

>Relying on shitty mnemonics designed to help grade-school children learn basic arithmetic.

Everyone here who doesn't use pemdas from left to right is just shitposting. Veeky Forums is just full of academics who come here to let off some steam and be not so serious.

Parenthesis is first, then it's exponents.
Why are you all still getting 58?

6^2/2*3+4
6^2/6+4
1^2+4
5^2=25

6^2/2*3+4
36/2/7
18/7

cancer of Veeky Forums detected

Punkt vor Strich von links nach rechts

2(3) Does not mean your multiply that term first.

Sounds good. Is there a rule for Klammern and Exponenten?

www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=6%5E2/2(3)%2B4
general education in steep decline

However, in some of the academic literature, multiplication denoted by juxtaposition (also known as implied multiplication) is interpreted as having higher precedence than division, so that 1/2x equals 1/(2x), not (1/2)x. For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash,[9] and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics.[nb 1]
Your god, Feynman, says it's 10.

/thread

Context-dependent interpretation is always available, like 1/2π=1/(2π) and not π/2, but that doesn't mean it should be a general notation rule. Some academics love ambiguity out of pure arrogance:
'Let the suckers find out what I meant to say.' Celebrity worship is a form of mental slavery.

>6/36

10 obviously.

The 'P' in PEMDAS only applies to things inside the parentheses.