Steak: Reverse Searing

This has been in the back of my head for a while and I may try it this weekend. For those who might not know reverse searing is the process by which you slow roast your steak in the oven until it reaches a core temperature of 130F, then finish it on the stove by searing each side. This differs from more traditional methods of searing your steak first and finishing it off in the oven.

Pic related. You see the reverse sear (bottom image), and the traditional method (top image).

If anyone here has ever reverse seared their steak, what are your feelings on the matter? How did your steak come out?

Other urls found in this thread:

sfc.smallfarmcentral.com/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/751/PanSearedThickCutSteak.pdf
amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you don't need to do that, just use a pot slightly larger than your steak and use a lid. the down side gets seared while the heat of the inside of the pot acts like an oven. flip it over half way through cooking. easy.

That's just asking to over cook your steak. By covering it with a lid you're concentrating the heat and destroying any form of an even cook. Not to mention it would radically alter any timings you use to help determine the doneness of the meat.

wrong, I do it all the time.

I mean at this point there are a million of different ways to cook a steak, just do the one that seems the best for the cut/situation.

Yeah, reverse sear works. Really useful technique for a dinner party. Bad technique if you're hungry or you're cooking for somebody on short notice and just wanna cook the meat.

Just because you do it doesn't make it right.

what's wrong about it, it works perfectly, just because you haven't read about it doesn't make it wrong.

How do you watch your steak with a lid on it you fuck

It's called a glass lid.

I like this method a lot for thick sirloins but not so much for other cuts

correct.

Only makes sense for very thick cuts, its retarded to do with a steak thats done after getting your sear

If it goes in the oven you've already fucked up kiddo.

Get your pan hot and then lower it to medium once you get the beef in it, flip every minute for 6 minutes starting with a 30 second sear and flipping to a 1 1/2 minute sear then 2 more minutes on each side with minute flips, obviously adjusting time according to thickness.

what kind of fucking loser starts his steak out IN THE OVEN, if I was a bitch my pussy would be dryer then fucking mercury looking at you cook a steak, and I am a man so I can guarantee that I think you're a fucking FAG for cooking a steak like that.

Seriously a good steak is done in a pan and finished with some butter, regardless of cut.

Look at the conceit on this guy. Bet you like your white rice plain too.

who doesn't like plain white rice, you must be cooking up some shitty ass rice or overcooking it to death. I can eat fucking cartons of steamed white rice.

>finished with some butter, regardless of cut

Stopped reading right there.

one of the worst threads right here

Yeah, just terrible. What with being Food & Cooking, and all.
Sounds like you're just assrammed about people calling you out on your shitty method for cooking overdone steak.

ha

Total fucking shitters, probably cook your shit in the microwave.

searing should always be done at the end of cooking

searing doesn't "seal in the juices"
it has been tested time and time again, searing a steak at the beginning of cooking yields dry meat compared to searing at the end

I like my food cooked so the top is better, but if your a animal than the bottom

looks dry as fuck

I swear to god steak cookers are some of the most autistic people on this planet.

ITT OP talks about legitimate method of cooking steak, autists losing their shit

you literally sear before hand to retain moisture. OP is retarded.

Nice

But that is 1200% wrong.

I think it comes down to personal preference. Sous vide/reverse sear to get perfectly pink on the inside with no gradient/nice sear is a fun technique but i actually kind of like the gradient/gray band. I also like cooking my steaks from the freezer, which gives you the ability to sear for longer without worrying about overcooking, then popping it into the oven (in a covered cast iron pan) with a probe thermometer and take it out at 140*. Doing the latter gives me time to prep the ingredients for a pan sauce when i take the steak out and let it rest.

Man it's been a while since i've made steak (I cook mostly, but not strictly vegetarian now).

I'll just add that this is mainly for rib eyes, which I also like to render the fat from the side, and new york strips. For Tenderloin or sirloin, I like sous vide (or reverse sear).

I'm working on rigging up a temperature cutoff for an older slow cooker so that it'll cut power when it reaches temp and kick back on as soon as it drops.
Is it hard to do sous vide safety or is it pretty much just do the normal amount of cleanliness and drop it in a bag and some water?

That's a myth, searing does nothing to retain moisture

Who the fuck actually cons their steak in the oven? If you've got a decent sear on your steak it'll already be cooked medium rare at least, why are you cooking it further than that?

Bottom steak is still raw
Enough with this fucking meme

Trying way too hard there junior
Take it down a notch son

It's not, though.

Yes, this technique works great, but you absolutely need to use thicker cuts.

The original Cook's Illustrated article is pay walled, but I found a pdf of it on another site:

sfc.smallfarmcentral.com/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/751/PanSearedThickCutSteak.pdf

eh i use an anova which automates everything, so it's easy. no vacuum sealer, so i just squeeze the air out of a ziploc bag. usually after i buy meat, i marinade and put it in the bag, then freeze it until the day i want to eat. if you're using a slow cooker you can probably get something like this to control temps:
amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704

I taught my entire extended family to reverse sear with a wireless thermometer. It's so idiot proof they're impressing everyone.

>Never liked steaks
>Never cooked one myself
>Good steaks on sale at market, already vacuum packed
>fuck it
>sous vide that DIY with a kitchen thermometer
>Sear it with butter and thyme

Turns out everyone else is just shit at cooking steaks and doesn't know about sous vide

Alright you sous vide shilling fucks. I have been thinking about buying a water oven now for months because of you cock suckers. I am now going to order one.

If it turns out I hate the way my steaks come out I am going to track each and every one of you baby rapers down and force you to eat nothing but well done steaks with ketchup.

Have a nice day.

>wireless thermometer
There are wired ones?

Just use a slow cooker

You know shit about cooking and maybe should keep your retarded opinions to yourself. Sorry.

I want to reiterate this: reverse sear works, you should try it. Basically, do a low oven, just hot enough to be out of the danger zone for bacteria. Wrap the steak in foil and put it on the middle rack. Take a temperature reading every so often until it's your desired temp. Get a pan fucking hot and sear the steak in neutral, high-heat oil like grapeseed. Do this as quickly as you can, flip the steak a lot, ignore the convention: the heat dissipates pretty quickly from the fresh-flipped side, so turn it a lot as a kind of natural rotisserie that will get you that crust without penetrating the meat.

The logic just werks, it's a good way to cook a steak and very similar to sous-vide method but without the arguments.

*** It is a way to cook a steak without guesswork. ***

I don't doubt that you can cook a steak at home on your range, but you can't really say that this is the best method for cooking a steak in general. People's ranges vary in heat so the "cook it for six minutes" thing is a no-go.

Correct, it was.

>implying eating well done steaks with ketchup is bad

Doubt it. If you let it rest, it won't piss itself all over your plate. It'll retain its juiciness within the cell structure.

Glad I could help.