Rye flur help

I bought rye flour just to try it and attempted to make a bread/pizza dough as you'd usually do with wheat: yeast, flour, water, a bit of sugar and salt. I immediately knew something was off when I tried to knead it. Somehow I still managed to get a ball. Now I'm left with an extremely dense dough which I'm not even sure will rise at all.
Is there any way to still salvage this?
Sorry for any mistakes, I'm not familiar with this board

Other urls found in this thread:

chefkoch.de/rezepte/922681197624548/Schwarzwaelder-Landbrot.html
youtube.com/watch?v=OR_NRABQpCw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have you tried adding water?

Pics would be nice

you use a mix of wheat and rye flour you goddamn ingrate

chefkoch.de/rezepte/922681197624548/Schwarzwaelder-Landbrot.html

more water makes it even harder to handle. Had to add tons of extra flour to even be able to get it off my fingers.

I did not know this. I'll keep it in mind for the next time

As of right now the dough seems to have risen a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed but with no expectations. Tonight I'll bake it and see what happens

Here, a picture of the thing

mate i seriously doubt you're even baking bread. This is just some fictional story you're writing on here. Post pics or admit your guilt.

closer

???
I simply tried to make bread with rye flour as I usually do with wheat flour. What's so hard to believe?

Another thing I noticed: the smell is not all that pleasant. Like overly sweet, mixed with the smell of yeast

Add more water and very gently knead again.

looks too dry if anything

usually the problem with rye for me is that it becomes too sticky to handle.

You're a retard who didn't do his homework. Rye is a different grain than wheat, and the type of protein structures it makes are shorter and weaker than those wheat makes. Recipes using rye require significant modification.

Go look up a recipe for real German pumpernickel.

That's why you blend flours with rye. It becomes sticky. I personally blend rye and spelt. It works wonders

rye flour is great for starting a sourdough mother. mix it with some wheat flour, 1 to 1 proportions, and some water. you want it wet so I'd go for 2.5 to 3 units of either filtered water or tap water that you've left out in a container for a few hours so that the chlorine evaporates.

rye has natural yeasts that aren't present in most wheat flours thanks to not being so heavily processed. let the mother incubate, feed it as you would an sourdough and you'll be off to a great start.

thanks bro for fucking up, I would have done the same BUT NOW I KNOW BETTER

This user knows the score.

Think you kept adding flour to get to a manageable consistency... All rye doughs are rare and are a fucker to handle

:(
Perhaps you should pop down to the nearest McDonald's restaurant for a guilt free Double Quarter Pounder with cheese, hot, fresh fries and an ice cold Coca Cola!

The yeast is dead you killed it or your not useing the correct kind of yeast

you fucked up I'd say... Rye flour has very little gluten and too much fiber to make a loaf without mixing in at least like 30% of another flour. It won't absorb water without different flour and your loaf will be too dense because gluten is what helps make the air bubbles after you knead it. Try again with some all purpose flour added or better yet, unbleached! Make your dough so that it is wetter than that pic. It'll stick to your hands but that's okay.

thank OP's sacrifice and let this thread be a warning to anyone who dares penetrate the mysteries of rye

OP here with a final update.

I was about to throw the dough away after reading this thread but I had the oven on anyway and decided to at least give it a shot. I added a tiny bit of wheat flour simply to shape it, and then baked it.

This is the result, fresh off the oven. Actually preeeetty preeettay good I'd say. Taste is a-ok, inside is moist and extremely dense. I have a feeling it'll become unbiteable once it cools down but all around it's been a decent experiment.

That might be the ugliest bread I've ever seen.

Another thing: besides rye gluten (secalin) being of lower quality than wheat gluten, and there being less of it in the flour, rye also contains some shitty enzymes that will fuck up the structure of the dough and prevent it from rising well. These enzymes can be inhibited by a low pH environment, i.e. an acidic dough. This is why almost all rye breads are sourdoughs.

That's not bread

there's a face in the left part, the ripped area. the two dark spots are the eyes, and the bread cuts off like halfway down the mouth

Looks like some kind of carcass. Now, I'm not saying bread shouldn't look like a carcass, but that bread shouldn't look like that carcass

inside is what matters :')
As you can see that shit is extremely packed
Let me be real: it's better than expected but I will most likely not eat this whole bread, for the sake of my bowels

I would have not even wasted the energy baking it. The dough should have looked so wrong that you knew this would be the outcome.

I agree. Curiousity got the best of me
I did a bit of looking since yesterday and found this recipe
youtube.com/watch?v=OR_NRABQpCw
in which she makes a 100% rye flour sourdough bread. This will be my next try.

So is the fuck up not enough white flour, or is it lack of kneading?
Or too hot water?
Or too little time to allow it to rise?

From what I've understood:
1) Not starting from sourdough. Rye flour needs to ferment in order to get a-bubbling
2) Not using more wheat flour, which has gluten and will rise easily with the sourdough culture.
3) Possibly some personal mistakes

Don't feel bad, OP. You had an idea, you tried it, and it didn't go to plan. No one was hurt and only a small amount of money wasted. You still got to eat something and we all learned. Thanks for the OC