Future of Humanity, Biodomes, O'Neill Cylinders, and Interstellar Arks

Facts:

1: There is no "technological singularity" in the sense as you may know it. Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science that can be used by humanity to advance technologies that will be useful to humanity. It is now up to engineers to figure out ways to use these discoveries to the advantage of humanity to advance our technology.

2: Humanity is too large and too politically fragmented for everyone to have consensus on preventing the destruction of the environment of Earth. Even if the West gets its shit together and stops polluting and finds ways to reverse the effects, the still-developing East won't stop for at least another 500-700 years. After which point, it will be too late to reverse. Life for humans on Earth will come to an end, but life itself on Earth will adapt, leaving humanity in the dust.

3: We will never actually colonize another celestial body. Nor, terraform another celestial body. This is due directly to the fact that terraforming takes too long and other celestial bodies are too different in gravity for humans to life generationally. Venus, being the closest can't be lived on by humans. Mars' gravity is too low and will degrade the human body to the point of disease within a single generation. The best use for celestial bodies will be for mining resources.

5: Human population expands a great deal. We will always need new real estate.

Continued...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_ark
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19830007077.pdf)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

6: Technological development of on-Earth habitats and off-world habitats will be necessary for humanity to survive this coming problem with the environment. This will mean micro environments under domes on Earth and O'Neill Cylinders in space. Expansion into deep space will need to be done using Interstellar Arks these will most likely be Generation Ships (not likely to survive) or merely Seed Ships that will bombard viable planets with extremophile lifeforms and/or embryonic humans.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_ark
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization

Technologies, for creating and maintaining these methods of human habitat and expansion are of paramount importance. If you are reading this message, take it to heart, do everything humanly possible to make these things a reality.

1. This is a bad way to start. There are numerous unsolved problems in physics and science. The unknown in the smallest scale and the largest scale have the potential to be just as relevant as past advances. And we have barely scratched the surface of genetics and human behavior.

wait for it, wait for it, I know this one fag is gonna post that 'muh singularity' pic with the colored lines and say all this is impossible.

>> Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science
them's fightin' words

2. And yet environmental accords seem to be some of the least controversial of global diplomatic actions in recent history. Also you are vastly overestimating the level of harm caused by climate change. Even if emissions are not curbed, which they already have been, this will hardly end humanity. Yes it will be very painful, but few climatologists and ecologists believe it will destroy us.

>Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science that can be used by humanity to advance
Pffffffffffff hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

>Continued...
Wow.
You were so wrong about so many things, it wouldn't all fit in one post.

I'll skip right down to the easiest issue though:
>5: Human population expands a great deal. We will always need new real estate.

That's just wrong.
Population growth peaked in the early 1960's when humanity expanded 2.2% per year.
We're down to half that rate now, and if current trends continue, we'll see population shrinking before the century is out.

>Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science that can be used by humanity to advance technologies that will be useful to humanity.

Not even close.

The reason why we have a rapid improvement rate in life science and so on is because our techlevel is so immature that any minor increase opens up vast expanses of new research options.

>2: Muh environments!
No. Completely fucking wrong. With the exception of some few scattered waste dumps there's almost no long term environments that qualify as "destroyed". And things like heavy metals and pollution hits humans harder than most wildlife as no one cares if a pigeon loses 20% of its lifetime, more so if a human does the same due to air pollution.

>3: We will never actually colonize another celestial body.
We will if bother to sink the money into it, but there's very little reason to attempt it now due to our lack of industrial projection, and in the future the meaning of colonization might be very different depending on how much gene manipulation and cybernetics we apply to ourself.

>terraform
Will not really be needed. for mars we can compensate with gene technology and some decent habitat tech. For venus we'll need some crazy advanced heat stable industrial complexes so by the time we can terraform it we'll just as well colonize it with some intelligent machinery that doesn't mind the nasty environment.

>Human population expands a great deal.
Growth is dropping off and estimated to stagnate at ~10billion.

>We will always need new real estate.
If we virtualize/simulate/upload human brains we can substitute real space with virtual space.We could also increase our population much faster this way, as in we could increase the global population 50 times in 10 years, something that's impossible to do with organic humans.

OP's statement negate that by saying we are already over the hump and on the way down.

People often confuse science with real world applications that matter to humanity at all.

>If we virtualize/simulate/upload human brains we can substitute real space with virtual space

That's just AI and has nothing to do with actual humanity.

A good enough digital reconstruction will behave like the human template it's constructed from.

It wouldn't be you, it'd just be some bullshit tech acting like you. Humanity wouldn't exist. You need actual DNA to replicate, without that there's no point. You could store DNA in memory, but it'd need to be replicated back into biological form.

You'll never replicate. Does that mean that there's no point to your existence?

>It wouldn't be you
Neither are your children or friends you're still creating the former and hanging out with the latter.

It's not the argument I'm trying to make here but as you decided to drag it up it could be you if you use the right conversion process. Or are you implying that replacing say, your occipital lobe with a electronic prosthesis would make you a different person even though it's only your visual system that's offloaded? Then rinse repeat until everything is replaced.

You're an idiot, kid.

>You're an idiot, kid.
not him tbqh Ӻam, but he's not wrong.
If I had a machine that made copies of people, and I made an atom-perfect copy of you, that copy would still be a separate person.

>Biosphere 2

That's the Eden project.

i love the eden project

>"Everything has already been discovered. I can't think of anything new and seeing as I am the world's supreme intellect that must mean that there is nothing more to discover!"
>"China is going to destroy Earth's atmosphere all by itself because chinks are evil and soulless right?"
>"I have no evidence that humans can't live on Mars I'll just say so because whatever I say is true!"
Holy shit kill yourself

>There is no "technological singularity"
Except that's where you're wrong. My research is making machines design machines and so far they're pretty damn good at it, so by definition we've already reached the singularity. Now it's only a matter of time before widespread adoption of these techniques and everything gets crazy. I give it three years until we really start to notice the asymptote in technological advancement.

>Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science
Now you're just being stupid.

>Implying it's possible to copy the exact state of any part of the human brain
>Implying you can replicate quantum states while observing them
>Implying Heisenberg was wrong

> implying quantum effect aren't a negligible effect on a cellular level

cause 2 spoons from the same generic brand cutlery set are different

We dun fucked up the environment of our planet. All the chemical production from world war two and on left unchecked and all the new technologies easily available to everyone with no education on how to use them or dispose of them properly.

Of course it can be reversed as the population gets more informed and better educated but that's only for a small part of the world, the rest will keep raping the planet.

>you're wrong. My research

kek

That will never happen, kid.

>Except that's where you're wrong. My research is making machines design machines and so far they're pretty damn good at it, so by definition we've already reached the singularity. Now it's only a matter of time before widespread adoption of these techniques and everything gets crazy. I give it three years until we really start to notice the asymptote in technological advancement.

Nice. Care to post some related papers? I find automation fascinating, especially related to space exploration and exploitation. Nasa even back in 1982 (ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19830007077.pdf) showed that self replicating robots would be the way to go instead of sending couple of primates in tin cans.

Yeah, you can be the absolute perfect model for nature harmony while retaining full, non-consumerist, modern lifestyle yet 99.99999% of the rest of the population has their fingers in their ears and their heads in the sand.

>"I have no evidence that humans can't live on Mars I'll just say so because whatever I say is true!"

Humans can't live on Mars due to the low gravity. It is like 38% of Earths. We'd wither away to rubber chicken mode and die within the 1st generation.

>Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science

That is not fact. It is a baseless opinion

>the still-developing East won't stop for at least another 500-700 years

Where did you get this range from? Why would it take them so much longer to stop their industrial negligence?

>We will never actually colonize another celestial body

The only realistic opinion you've posted. I don't even disagree.

>Human population expands a great deal. We will always need new real estate

Except that fertility is and has been declining for a century. For most first world countries, the birth rate is so low that the only reason their populations aren't declining is because of immigration. The fertility rate is declining in third world countries too.

>on-Earth habitats and off-world habitats will be necessary for humanity to survive

You don't know that. Either way, in the end the sun will kill us all. There's no escaping mortality, even on the the scale of the entire species.

>what are weight vests/ gauntlets
You clearly haven't gone to university yet, otherwise you would have thrown your hands up in the air at the first homework assignment and said "this is impossible!"

We don't know, we've never lived in 38% gravity.

Baseless bullshit

Think big you faggot

>Humanity has discovered nearly all relevant science that can be used by humanity to advance technologies that will be useful to humanity.

Stopped reading right there.

What are black projects? Reactionless propulsion, antigravity, teleportation, cold fusion, etc.

ITT: OP does not know the future, he just acts like he does. Everyone else discusses.

ITT: Anons discuss things they don't understand that have nothing to do with their respective fields

1: pretty much, but we have only just started to develop these fields, rather than producing more energy and building bigger, we will figure out how to do more things with nano materials, computing and genetics

2: pollution can't destroy the entire environment, I think you're talking about climate change and CO2 emissions in particular, civilization would be adversely affected by climate change long before we trigger an oceanic anoxic event and would be unable to keep up CO2 emissions, we will probably run out of easily accessible fossil fuels before then

3: we will create robots and later new forms of life that can support an economy on the moon using mainly solar power without the huge life support costs humans need

4: yes

5: rubbers

6: easier to genetically modify humans or crate new forms of life than massive engineering projects, see 3, also see 1 since we would need some spectacular new technology to support these projects

...only if you are a moron. The amount of shit we don't know about shit that would/could be ridiculously useful if we understood it at a fundamental level is astounding.

>Reactionless propulsion, anigravity, teleportation, cold fusion, etc.

Those are bullshit, user.

>what are weight vests/ gauntlets

Inadequate replacement for gravity. Your bones will become far too brittle.

>pollution can't destroy the entire environment,

It destroys the environment enough to kill off humans. We are fucked, but nature will shrug it off and continue. We've already gone past the tipping point about 25-50 years ago. There's no turning back now.

>Why would it take them so much longer to stop their industrial negligence?

war