Perfect grilled cheese

How tf do you make the cheese melt like this? I made one some minutes ago and I almost fucking burned the bread in hope that the shit would melt and look like in pic related but it just looked a little melted if it makes any sense.

What kind of cheese did you use? Combinations help if you want them to be really melty, if you used just plain cheddar you should add either some brie or mozzarella

It could also be the temperature you're cooking it at, you shouldn't be above a medium. If you heat up the pan on high for 15-20 seconds and turn it down to medium and THEN add your sandwich, the bread will still get toasty but your cheese will have a chance to melt.

Lower heat for longer.

I just used a thin slice of cheddar if that helps. That makes more sense, I'll add mozzarella now.

You're cooking at too high a temperature. You want to stay around Low and Medium, adjusting based on your oven.

If your heat is too high, you'll burn the outside and the inside won't have a chance to heat up. Too low, and it'll take forever and the butter will get fully absorbed by the bread and you'll get a soft mess.

But really, unless you're boiling water, there's little need for a beginner to ever be in the med-high to high range of your oven. There are exceptions, but if you don't know what they are, then you don't need to concern yourself with it.

Okay, I tried with mozzarella and as soon as I put the bread in it was fucking burning and when I sliced it the cheddar and mozzarella was hard as fuck, didn't even melt. I had no idea what I was doing wrong until I noticed my """low heat""" cook top was actually really fucking high. I think I have to change my oven lol.

Do you have an electric or gas range? Gas ranges get really fucking hot even on their lowest setting, which requires you to move the pan on and off the heat. You can't just leave it sitting there.

Gas range. That explains a lot now.
Are electric ones too expensive? I have to change my oven anyway so might aswell buy an electric range.

Gas ranges are preferred by chefs and Veeky Forums because of their immediate response time when adjusting temperatures and moving things around. They do require more monitoring on your part and engagement with whatever you're making, though.

If you don't care about that and the most complicated thing you'll make is Ragu spaghetti, then electric might be for you just for the convenience factor.

Please don't replace your gas range with electric. If your pans are heating up too quick, then get heavier bottomed pans.

You know that dial on the stove? Turn it down.

Lol wut? I,have never used an electric range and I have never had to move the pan off and onto the burner to make a perfect grilled cheese.
Maybe if you are using the power burner? (on some stove tops the bottom right burner is hotter than the rest)

Once you take the sandwich off the pan the cheese will continue to melt, it's still hot after all...

>ellipses

>inexplicable reaction image

DONT EVEN JEST - GAS ROCKS!
I would sell my Grandma to have a gas range again.
just like the other user posted, once you learn to use gas your will despise electric
most new electrics think they are smarter than you and will cycle on and off on their own so it's a bitch to keep an even temp, gas is instant control
ignore the numbers on the gas knob, use your eyeballs and look at the size of the flame, the bigger the flame the hotter (it's science)
After you learn to adjust your fire by sight, you will be a gas master in no time

Don't slice, grate! It'll melt quicker. Also be sure to add some spices like pepper and/or smoked paprika.

Sounds like good advice. I never realized that gas has a visual aspect in the flame that Electric does not. Quick response time and being able to use woks isn't the only thing it seems.

if it hasn't been said, on the first side put a lid over the pan will trap steam/heat and help melt the cheese. I'd remove it on the second side as you don't want your freshly toasted bread to get soggy from the steam.

also as has been said lower heat longer time.

Also, since this is gas ranges thread now, if you want to cook proper chinese, you won't be able to do that on electric. Woks magic.

Use the Velveeta singles, bruh.
They cost a bit more, but you get the delicious gooeyness you desire

Shit, thanks a lot guys. For some stupid reason I thought electric was better because it looked fancier idk lol but I'll follow your advice and buy a new (not shitty) gas range oven.

>he buys a new oven to make grilled cheese.

Gas range with electric oven is the best of both worlds. Totally agree with heavier bottoms. I tend to buy from a local kitchen supply store. But as long as you knock on the bottom and it sounds more solid than the other shelf brands.

As odd as it sounds, mayo on the outside it the best way to ensure that it cooks to a perfect crispy outside. It allows you to cook it longer allowing just about any cheese to fully melt.

All ovens/stoves/ranges have their individual quirks
You and I could go to the same store together (holding hands and skipping down the isles) and buy two of the exact same model (gas elec doesn't matter in this case) and they both will have their own quirks.
Let's say we decided on gas because it the right choice, the knobs (which are actually gas valves) on mine might be a little touchy meaning I barely move them and the flame responds quickly, and your valves may be a little more forgiving in adjustment and operate smoother, that's why I said ignore the knob numbers - moral of the story is you need to learn YOUR stove.
Also, the grilled cheese is the PERFECT medium to learn your stove, old or new.
Buy a loaf of cheap bread, and some sliced processed cheese = cheap training supplies, should be out more than $5 total and should be able to get around 10 grills out of it
proceed with the process, if the first one burns, then look at your flame and adjust it down a tad (or a lot if you really fucked up and the fire department showed up), or if your dying of old age because it's not grilling at all, turn it up - again by looking at your flame
save all of them, pick the one you like best and stuff it in your cock hole, Mmmm
Give the bad ones to the junkies and winos that live in the alley in your hood, you will become their God
as for what to put in or on it, easy grasshopper, if you want to learnt to fight you have to bleed some first
Processed cheese is the easiest if you want that classic gooey melty grill, cheddar on the other hand is a harder dryer cheese so I agree with user, shred it first and allow more time
I've heard of the mayo instead of butter thing alot but haven't tried it myself, the reasoning sounds legit and no one cares if you kill a few junkies and winos until you get your system down anyway

Part too
I like mine slightly well done where some cheese ozing out is slightly browned and crisp - but not black (no one likes blacks)
After you got these basics down, whip out your creative, try putting some shredded ched in the pan before the bread goes down, or better yet some parma romano, it will brown and crisp on the outside and you will have the goey melty on the inside, best of all worlds
From there, the world is your oyster, grilled cheese master
When you drag some nasty skank home from the pub at 4am to fucked up to stand, and you can still whip out your Sensie grill skillz effortlessly, you will know you have graduated to Veeky Forums

Lower the heat

This is cooking 101, m8

Kraft singles or velveta for creamy child tier sammich vs fine shredded mild cheddar and Munster for adult tier sammich. Bacon optional but highly encouraged.

this. fucking kek

Statt open faced and covered. Then add second slice to it

Use Kraft American singles mixed with another cheese you tard, and before any of you spergs say it's not real cheese, who cares, a lot of the best chefs say American cheese is superior for grilled cheese. Use a mix of American and smoked Gouda

Judging from this thread I'm going to assume OP is a literal fucking retard and used a dry pan with nothing on the outsides of the bread and cooked it at the highest heat possible.
Butter your bread and lower the heat you fucking autist.

american cheese is better for a grilled cheese if you're tryin to get that authentic classic diner taste

is there a more shit tier grilled cheese ingredient than tomatoes?

I use red leicester cheese, and a panini press. Works fine every time.
Literally the only slip-ups are when I use so much cheese it doesn't melt fully before it drips out the side, or when I took a slice off my thumb instead of a leftover sausage.

It's amazing how much you miss a couple of square mm of thumbnail when it's gone.

Was it worth it? I mean, you can buy sliced bread, and sliced cheese, why take the risks when robots can do it for you?

I tried using mayo, it just made it taste weird. So definitely use butter and either white bread or sourdough. American is the easiest cheese to come by that will melt the way it's supposed to, but I think the real challenge is finding the perfect combination of rare imported cheeses that will yield a similar flavor and texture. You can't really call it "grilled cheese" if the stuff inside barely qualifies as cheese.

As far as cooking it long enough to melt the cheese without burning the butter, try warming the cheese up on the stove between the burners, put it on something like wax paper or a little dish. Don't keep it so close to heat that it will melt, but so that it gets soft and waxy.

>I use red leicester cheese, and a panini press

This sounds really good.

Thank you for this thread, I saw it, didn't even read it, put my computer down and made like six grilled cheese with tomato bisque for my family. You pretty much just fixed my hangover.

kys

terrible taste you have

I get the hate for unitaskers, but pic related is worth every inch of space lost just for the results.

Perfectly melted cheese and crunchy bread every time. Emmental and mature cheddar makes for a nice stringy result too.

Those crunchy middle bits at the cost of ~20% fillings?
No.

>jack or gouda or something for the cheese
>sliced jalapenos
>chicken or ham
Best grilled cheese, fight me